We who love Japanese classical guitars - Delcamp

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
rinneby

Re: We who love Japanese classical guitars - Delcamp

Post by rinneby » Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:26 pm

A reminder for those who haven't read it yet. The article get most things right and is very interesting to read:

https://classicalguitarmagazine.com/fre ... l-guitars/

/J
1964 - Masaru Kohno No.7
2016 - Juan Miguel Carmona
2016 - Pete Beer

Feel free to ask me anything about Japanese classical guitars.

pjenviri

Post by pjenviri » Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:41 pm

Hi guys,

Any thought on Yamaha GC32 vs GC41?
Which one you will choose, if its price are in the same range.

tkoehler1

Post by tkoehler1 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:55 pm

pjenviri wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:41 pm
Hi guys,

What is the price range you are looking at?

pjenviri

Post by pjenviri » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:46 am

I'm looking for a used Japanese guitar in exellent condition. Start from Asturias and Yamaha. My budget is up.to $1800. :D
Last edited by pjenviri on Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:52 am, edited 2 times in total.

pjenviri

Post by pjenviri » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:49 am

tkoehler1 wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:55 pm
pjenviri wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:41 pm
Hi guys,

What is the price range you are looking at?
Approximately up to $1800. Both are used guitar but are in excellent condition. The GC41 made in 2012, while the GC32 made in 2014. Only have a chance to play GC32 personally.

What I understand is that the GC41 is one step higher than the 32 and comparable to the GC42. However, few comments told that GC32 has the better sound than the GC41. :cry:

rinneby

Post by rinneby » Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:59 pm

Yesterday me and my friend had a little shootout between my Masaru Matano Clase 600 (1973) his Ramirez 1A (1968) and a Masaru Kohno No.20 (1974) - Three different guitars, but at the same time quite similar. To my (great) surprise the Matano put up a good fight. Actually it was my favorite amongst the three, with great deep basses and clear round trebles. Superb projection as well. I'm not saying the other two guitars where inferior in any way, just that the Matano spoke to me the most on this particular day. Maybe because I wanted to like it, I'm not sure. La Bella 2001 - Medium tension was used.

All in all: If you want a Ramirez style guitar but at the fraction of the price, look for an early Matano (1975 and earlier) preferable with BR rosewood.

My friend Anders:

All the best from Sweden
/Jon
Last edited by rinneby on Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:51 am, edited 3 times in total.
1964 - Masaru Kohno No.7
2016 - Pete Beer

hilm3g

Post by hilm3g » Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:06 pm

That is a lovely Masaru Matano, rinneby. I have a '74 Classe 500, bought new in '76, with a story to tell (think rising from the ruins). I will post about it one day on this sub-forum.

rinneby

Post by rinneby » Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:46 am

hilm3g wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:06 pm
That is a lovely Masaru Matano, rinneby. I have a '74 Classe 500, bought new in '76, with a story to tell (think rising from the ruins). I will post about it one day on this sub-forum.
Thank you. I'm looking forward to that,

/J
1964 - Masaru Kohno No.7
2016 - Pete Beer

hilm3g

Post by hilm3g » Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:31 am

rinneby wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:46 am
hilm3g wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:06 pm
Thank you. I'm looking forward to that,

/J
My Clase 500 Matano looks similar to your Clase 600, but the Rosewood on your back and sides is more figured and more beautiful - clearly higher quality selection. Front and neck are very similar, but I expect that Clase 600 is a superior soundboard, too. My guitar sounds very beautiful indeed and served me well for 37 years, except for the few years it was out of commission. My 6 year old daughter, now 23, was being chased by her three older brothers around the house. She slid into the guitar as it leaned against the couch. Shattered and broken into many bits. The lower bout of the sound board was like confetti, the bridge was hanging by an edge only, the neck. was cracked in two places, and the heel had a hairline fracture. Five years later, I found a luthier who lovingly restored it. Amazingly, it plays better than ever. I don't play it much any longer - 2 or 3 days a month. As great as it sounds, it does not compare to my custom made German Spruce BR I've had since 2013.

Guitar-ded

Post by Guitar-ded » Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:51 pm

pjenviri wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:49 am

Approximately up to $1800. Both are used guitar but are in excellent condition. The GC41 made in 2012, while the GC32 made in 2014. Only have a chance to play GC32 personally.

What I understand is that the GC41 is one step higher than the 32 and comparable to the GC42. However, few comments told that GC32 has the better sound than the GC41. :cry:
If you can try the GC32 and you're happy with the sound, feel and price then I'd suggest that you buy it. Although the CG41 is technically a (slightly) higher spec model that doesn't always seem to be the case when you try them side by side. Let us know how you get on.
Getting better bit by bit, day by day.

spronev

Post by spronev » Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:13 pm

rinneby wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:59 pm
Yesterday me and my friend had a little shootout between my Masaru Matano Clase 600 (1973) his Ramirez 1A (1968) and a Masaru Kohno No.20 (1974) - Three different guitars, but at the same time quite similar. To my (great) surprise the Matano put up a good fight. Actually it was my favorite amongst the three, with great deep basses and clear round trebles. Superb projection as well. I'm not saying the other two guitars where inferior in any way, just that the Matano spoke to me the most on this particular day. Maybe because I wanted to like it, I'm not sure. La Bella 2001 - Medium tension was used.

All in all: If you want a Ramirez style guitar but at the fraction of the price, look for an early Matano (1975 and earlier) preferable with BR rosewood.

My friend Anders:

All the best from Sweden
/Jon
I can speak to the build quality and sound of Masaru Matano guitars as well. I have had 7 or 8 up to here and they have all been very nice. My two Matanos are the only two guitars left with me at this time. They are models 500 and 600 from 1973 and so far nothing I have played (at any price has sounded better to me. I have owned about 60 guitars by now and have played several hundred more over the years. I have played both guitars at home as well as in front of an audience both unamplified and amplified using a mic and they always sound perfect. I use La Bella 850 Gold strings on them (they are medium tension) - these are the strings I like the most on Matano guitars after trying dozens of others. I will post pictures at some point.

Svilen

rinneby

Post by rinneby » Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:20 am

spronev wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:13 pm
I can speak to the build quality and sound of Masaru Matano guitars as well. I have had 7 or 8 up to here and they have all been very nice. My two Matanos are the only two guitars left with me at this time. They are models 500 and 600 from 1973 and so far nothing I have played (at any price has sounded better to me. I have owned about 60 guitars by now and have played several hundred more over the years. I have played both guitars at home as well as in front of an audience both unamplified and amplified using a mic and they always sound perfect. I use La Bella 850 Gold strings on them (they are medium tension) - these are the strings I like the most on Matano guitars after trying dozens of others. I will post pictures at some point.

Svilen
Svilen, this is an amazing story and I really get what you are saying, now that I own one myself. My Matano is very different from my main guitar, built by Pete Beer, but for me that's just a good thing. I will try those La Bella 850 Gold strings for sure!

Kind regards
/Jon
1964 - Masaru Kohno No.7
2016 - Pete Beer

powermrk

Post by powermrk » Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:53 am

spronev wrote:
rinneby wrote:

Svilen
Hi Svilen,

Since you have owned and played hundreds of classical guitars, your favorite CGs are still Masaru Matano 500 and 600, it means they are really good.
Could you tell me the nut width and scale length of the models 500 and 600?
Are the main difference (specs) between 500 and 600 the back and sides materials? And, are they laminated or solid ones?
Can you hear the difference in general between these two models by the way?

Thanks!

rinneby

Post by rinneby » Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:44 am

powermrk wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:53 am
spronev wrote:
rinneby wrote:

Svilen
Hi Svilen,

Since you have owned and played hundreds of classical guitars, your favorite CGs are still Masaru Matano 500 and 600, it means they are really good.
Are the main difference (specs) between 500 and 600 the back and sides materials? And, are they laminated or solid ones?

Thanks!
I'm in the same situation as Svilen, but I can't speak for him, obviously. My Matano is good, very good actually, but I would NOT use it as my main guitar. It's quite a large guitar, both body wise, scale length and feel of neck. Also, it's NOT a very forgiving guitar - if you play it wrong the guitar will tell you so. Again, this is just my personal experience.

The Matano guitars before 1975 usually have 658 mm scale length and 51 mm nut, with a neck on the thick side, as in not thin, but not clumsy. They all have double sides and back (laminated if you wish) and solid tops. As I said earlier, if you are looking for a Ramirez style guitar, you can't really go wrong here.

/Jon
1964 - Masaru Kohno No.7
2016 - Pete Beer

powermrk

Post by powermrk » Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:32 am

rinneby wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:44 am
powermrk wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:53 am
spronev wrote:

Svilen
Hi Svilen,

Thanks!
I'm in the same situation as Svilen, but I can't speak for him, obviously. My Matano is good, very good actually, but I would NOT use it as my main guitar. It's quite a large guitar, both body wise, scale length and feel of neck. Also, it's NOT a very forgiving guitar - if you play it wrong the guitar will tell you so. Again, this is just my personal experience.

The Matano guitars before 1975 usually have 658 mm scale length and 51 mm nut, with a neck on the thick side, as in not thin, but not clumsy. They all have double sides and back (laminated if you wish) and solid tops. As I said earlier, if you are looking for a Ramirez style guitar, you can't really go wrong here.

/Jon
Thanks for the info.
The resale price is relatively lower than many Japanese vintage guitars as I see.

Return to “Luthiers”