Cervantes(la Mancha) LE Milenia 2011
Kenny Hill(la Mancha) Munich 1998
Martin om-21 steel 2015
Mitsuru Tamura 500 spruce/indian 1975
J Ramírez 1a 1974

martinardo

Re: We who love Japanese classical guitars - Delcamp

Post by martinardo » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:31 pm

Nice playing and excellent sound, Jon. There is a quality, particularly in the higher notes: a roundness ? a depth ?

some power: that is very pleasing to my ear.
I'm pink therefore I'm Spam

Leo

Post by Leo » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:37 pm

Nice sounding, is this your favorite guitar, or just one of several favorites?
2012 Hippner, Spruce-birdseye maple
1985 Takamine C-132S

James A. Showalter
Student of the online lessons

Post by James A. Showalter » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:37 pm

I really like the way you mixed the video with the music.

And yes, quite a charming sound.

Thanks Jon.
1972 Ryoji Matsuoka, NO 18
1990 Takamine C132S
2014 Sakurai Kohno Pro-J
Martin Guitars (D28, MC28, D12-28, J-40)
National Resonator Guitar
Les Paul

rinneby

Post by rinneby » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:31 am

Thank you everyone. I had fun recording this guitar, it's so light and responsive. Not bold, loud or with the greatest sustain by any means, but pleasing on both ears and hands. However I had some intonation problems above 7th fret, maybe I'll work on the nut/saddle some day.

Regarding the question if this is my favorite guitar the answer is: I like it very much and it's a great guitar, for certain types of music. Or when you just need to relax in the sofa playing some gentle pieces :)

All the best from Sweden
/Jon
1964 - Masaru Kohno No.7
1984 - Asturias 3456C John Mills
1996 - Masaru Kohno Maestro
2017 - Karel Dedain
2017 - Tobias Braun

Feel free to ask me anything about Japanese classical guitars.

SteveL123

Post by SteveL123 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:40 pm

rinneby wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:31 am
Thank you everyone. I had fun recording this guitar, it's so light and responsive. Not bold, loud or with the greatest sustain by any means, but pleasing on both ears and hands. However I had some intonation problems above 7th fret, maybe I'll work on the nut/saddle some day.

Regarding the question if this is my favorite guitar the answer is: I like it very much and it's a great guitar, for certain types of music. Or when you just need to relax in the sofa playing some gentle pieces :)

All the best from Sweden
/Jon
Have you tried a new set of strings with the intonation problems above 7th? Sometimes the frets may have been poorly placed (when built) such that nut and saddle compensation alone will not be enough to correct it.

rinneby

Post by rinneby » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:33 am

SteveL123 wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:40 pm
rinneby wrote:

All the best from Sweden
/Jon
Have you tried a new set of strings with the intonation problems above 7th? Sometimes the frets may have been poorly placed (when built) such that nut and saddle compensation alone will not be enough to correct it.
Always news strings ;)

/J
1964 - Masaru Kohno No.7
2017 - Karel Dedain
2017 - Tobias Braun

SteveL123

Post by SteveL123 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:40 pm

Sorry I was not being clear. I did know you had new strings on. What I meant was to try another set of new strings of the same manufacturer or even another manufacturer, in case it's a quality control issue with the strings. How much is the intonation off by in cents? I assume this is only on the treble strings?

Di Mauro

Post by Di Mauro » Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:48 am

I’ve owned a grade three Garcia and a Grand Concert Hernandis. Both of these where imported by James sherry in the late sixties and the seventies. The guitars he imported got a bad rap due to some marketing gimmicks he tried pulling etc. I’ve had a couple interactions with James at his store in Chicago and he is fun to talk to about classical guitars. The two guitars I had where great. The Garcia was my travel guitar. I paid $150 for it and it was a great instrument for the price. Killer tone and very well built. The Hernandis I bought for $300 and it had laminated BRW B/S. This guitar was also very well built with a sound that was far superior then the price I paid for it. I highly recommend these guitars for their tone, looks and build style. Plus one can pick them on line for very cheap. You really get a lot of bang for your buck. Do a little research and don’t pay too much and you can’t go wrong with these guitars.

KenO
Amateur luthier

Post by KenO » Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:55 am

rinneby wrote:
Rinnebyさん,
Beautifully played! ブラヴォー!Your Nakade has a really pleasing quality about it. Restful but clear and pure. It's a shame that the intonation is a bit off hopefully a nut or saddle adjustment will rectify the situation. All the finish checking is something to die for (meaning extremely attractive)! Adds a lot of character to the instrument! I really enjoy what you share here, ありがとうございます!
'06 Asturias Prelude S; '02 Yamaha CG101; '00 Ovation CS249-4Y; '68 S. Nogami Concert Tenor; '67 Hashimoto No. 232; '?? Mystery Guitar

rinneby

Post by rinneby » Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:47 pm

KenO wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:55 am
rinneby wrote:
Rinnebyさん,
Beautifully played! ブラヴォー!Your Nakade has a really pleasing quality about it. Restful but clear and pure. It's a shame that the intonation is a bit off hopefully a nut or saddle adjustment will rectify the situation. All the finish checking is something to die for (meaning extremely attractive)! Adds a lot of character to the instrument! I really enjoy what you share here, ありがとうございます!
:merci:
Actually the intonation is not "that" bad, but it could definitely be better, I'll will see what I can do about it (if anything). I totally agree on the finish checking, looks even better in the real world ;)

Thank you again.

All the best from Sweden
/Jon
1964 - Masaru Kohno No.7
2017 - Karel Dedain
2017 - Tobias Braun

rinneby

Post by rinneby » Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:58 pm

Di Mauro wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:48 am
I’ve owned a grade three Garcia and a Grand Concert Hernandis. Both of these where imported by James sherry in the late sixties and the seventies. The guitars he imported got a bad rap due to some marketing gimmicks he tried pulling etc. I’ve had a couple interactions with James at his store in Chicago and he is fun to talk to about classical guitars. The two guitars I had where great. The Garcia was my travel guitar. I paid $150 for it and it was a great instrument for the price. Killer tone and very well built. The Hernandis I bought for $300 and it had laminated BRW B/S. This guitar was also very well built with a sound that was far superior then the price I paid for it. I highly recommend these guitars for their tone, looks and build style. Plus one can pick them on line for very cheap. You really get a lot of bang for your buck. Do a little research and don’t pay too much and you can’t go wrong with these guitars.
Thanks for the info. I heard great things about these models from the 70s, long scale right and very Ramirez like? I had the opportunity to buy a Grand Concert Hernandis for around 300 Euro some time ago, but I did pass. That was probably kind of stupid ;)

/J
1964 - Masaru Kohno No.7
2017 - Karel Dedain
2017 - Tobias Braun

James A. Showalter
Student of the online lessons

Post by James A. Showalter » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:08 pm

That was probably kind of stupid
Can't own 'em all.
1972 Ryoji Matsuoka, NO 18
1990 Takamine C132S
2014 Sakurai Kohno Pro-J
Martin Guitars (D28, MC28, D12-28, J-40)
National Resonator Guitar
Les Paul

TheEvan

Post by TheEvan » Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:14 am

I had a Hernandis No. 1 back in the day, my first classical. My first teacher had a 1a, which was noticeably better. I once tried a Grand Concert and that was a real step up. 300 quid was a steal!

Ruki1414

Post by Ruki1414 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:25 pm

Great playing, Jon! And Rokutaro sounds really nice, too.

I wanted to test a shorter scale guitar and found this lady from 70s.:

I haven't found time until now to change the strings. But it is small, light and I can take it to sofa, too. :)

Best regards,

Veljko

Return to “Luthiers”