Took the plunge

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
ILTTG

Took the plunge

Post by ILTTG » Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:09 pm

I finally decided to invest in a higher end guitar and ordered an Alvarez Yairi CYM95 from an online retailer for 1700. I did a lot of research and Yairi's seemed to have an outstanding reputation for quality and sound, especially the handmade ones (like this one). It should arrive Tuesday.

My only regret is that I was not able to play it before I bought it. The only guitar store here with guitars worth more than 500 dollars is Guitar Center and all they had were some Cordobas and lower end Alvarez's, plus one Ramirez. I was actually pretty disappointed in the Cordobas; I played a thousand dollar model and the intonation was TERRIBLE. The further you went up the neck the worse it got. The sound was also not anything remarkable. I also felt the Ramirez (an R1) was lacking in the sound department. In the end, the best guitar I played there was the Alvarez MC90, so I decided to go with an Alvarez. This was probably not the best way to make my decision, but considering the limited resources I have in this tiny city, I think I made a decent choice.

I'll post a review as soon as it arrives, since I can't seem to find ANYTHING on the internet.

If anyone else owns this guitar or has a link to a legitimate review, PM me or post it here please! I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Vesuvio

Post by Vesuvio » Sat Oct 14, 2006 9:33 am

A new guitar! Always exciting, I am sure you will enjoy your chosen instrument and that members would be very interested to know what you think when you have played it for a while. Best regards, V.

Derry

Post by Derry » Sat Oct 14, 2006 10:17 pm

ILTTG, we don't always have the benefit of playing all the guitars we would like when buying,, I purchased two Rubios without playing but did have a three day grace period to try or reutrn,,

well neither of them went back,,

hopefully you will be as pleased as I was,,

will watch for your update,,

flycatcher

Post by flycatcher » Sun Oct 15, 2006 9:55 pm

Good choice. YOu can't go wrong with a Yairi. Let me know how it sounds.

azza

Post by azza » Mon Oct 23, 2006 5:21 am

Ive yet to take the plunge and buy a new guitar, Im still banging away on an old yamaha. Ive tried a few and searched on the net for a new one but it seems the more i look at the more confused i get ....especially when you cant get to try it before you buy.. Looking forward to hearing how it goes

Sasquatch51

Post by Sasquatch51 » Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:54 am

I've played a couple of those that were very good...I'm sure you'll like it. Yairi makes a very nice instrument.

Return to “Luthiers”