Question For '37 Hauser Aficionados

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
Allan

Question For '37 Hauser Aficionados

Post by Allan » Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:55 pm

Who in your opinion makes the ultimate replica of Segovia's '37 Hauser?

Allan

brains

Post by brains » Sun Oct 15, 2006 11:48 pm

David Schramm

hyz

Post by hyz » Mon Oct 16, 2006 6:47 am

i would say kenny hill is probably one of the best...

hyz

Allan

Post by Allan » Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:41 pm

I've heard a lot about Schramm's Hauser guitars. I wonder if there's anybody out there who has tried both Schramm's and Hippner's Hauser--I wonder how they compare.

Allan

arons

Post by arons » Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:55 am

Allan wrote:I wonder if there's anybody out there who has tried both Schramm's and Hippner's Hauser--I wonder how they compare.
Well, I've never tried Schramm's, but I own a Hippner, and my god is it beautiful. Maybe there's something better out there, but Darren knows what he's doing, and anyone who goes for one of his 37 Hausers will not be disappointed. My guitar has gotten some amazing compliments from world-renowned players.

Now, if only I could get it to sound like they can... :oops:

Best,
Aron

Pragueguy

Post by Pragueguy » Tue Oct 17, 2006 3:55 am

I have been wondering if these so-called Hauser guitars (I mean the 'replicas' you are referring to) really do have some distinct sound that approximates the originals?

Is that actually the case, in your experience/opinion?

And, what about the luthiers who actually supposedly worked with Bream on analyzing one or more of the original Hauser's, ie., Brian Cohen and Gary Southwell? Do you have experience with their guitars?

Mike

hyz

Post by hyz » Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:23 am

i think all these replicas are only to satisfy those people like us who cannot own a real Hauser, at least psychologically...even if someone can make the exact physical dimension of the original, the woods used on the real one is something you can't replicas..
Pragueguy wrote:I have been wondering if these so-called Hauser guitars (I mean the 'replicas' you are referring to) really do have some distinct sound that approximates the originals?

Is that actually the case, in your experience/opinion?

And, what about the luthiers who actually supposedly worked with Bream on analyzing one or more of the original Hauser's, ie., Brian Cohen and Gary Southwell? Do you have experience with their guitars?

Mike

Skai

Post by Skai » Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:36 am

On that note, how do you people think the Kenny Hill replicas compare to the real thing? I've only tried the New World Series replicas so far and they appear to be a little badly set up. Does the New World Series match up to the Master Series?

http://www (dot) hillguitar (dot) com/website/catalog/master_series.html

http://www (dot) hillguitar (dot) com/website/catalog/new_world_guitars.html

To add to this, the New World Series flamenco blanca guitar (La Triana) seems pretty 'un-flamenco' to me. A huge lack of growl and rasp.

Pragueguy

Post by Pragueguy » Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:13 am

"..i think all these replicas are only to satisfy those people like us who cannot own a real Hauser, at least psychologically...even if someone can make the exact physical dimension of the original, the woods used on the real one is something you can't replicas"

Well, that surely is what I assume as well. I have never had the opportunity to try one of these instruments, however.

Nonetheless, it is still interesting to me how/why some of the older and great instruments can or cannot be replicated in sound to some degree. I have a 1958 guitar by Edgar Monch (German, from Munich too) that definitley has elements of a wonderfully unique sound to it. Outside of the specific wood that was used to make it and maybe the glue/varnish, I wonder why the construction could not be replicated quite exactly. And I know that teh Hauser guitars were apparently studied in great detail.

Mike

Allan

Post by Allan » Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:29 am

Good point, Pragueguy. When I was in the market for an Antonio Marin guitar I realized that even though they were all made by hand, and some wood had to come from different sources, etc, the result was pretty standardized. A Marin has certain characteristics unto itself, despite all the variables in building an instrument, and it seems like Antonio could replicate those characteristics of sound, sustain, etc, ad infinitum.

I guess the issue with the '37 Hauser is that there was only one--it's not like Hauser built fifteen of them every year with exactly the same qualities as the guitar that Segovia played. It makes me wonder whether Hauser would have been able to (or ever did) duplicate his own success with that guitar during his career as a luthier?

Allan

Classicalguitarman15

Post by Classicalguitarman15 » Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:20 am

Jeff Elliott, without a doubt. However, his guitars are in the $25000-$35000 range and they are nearly impossible to get ahold of. Although he doesn't make an exact replica of the '37 Hauser, it is pretty close, and that is the model for all of his guitars.

Pragueguy

Post by Pragueguy » Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:29 am

Classicalguitarman15 wrote:Jeff Elliott, without a doubt. However, his guitars are in the $25000-$35000 range and they are nearly impossible to get ahold of. Although he doesn't make an exact replica of the '37 Hauser, it is pretty close, and that is the model for all of his guitars.
Wow, I am amazed to hear of these prices that Jeff Elliott gets. I didn't know that practically any current luthier received such high prices.

Mike

Sasquatch51

Post by Sasquatch51 » Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:16 am

FWIW, a new Robert Ruck goes for $20,000.00 or so, a Mathias Damman will cost you more than $20,000.00....even a new Ramirez Centinario is nearly $20,000.00 according to the current price list.

MarkJ

Post by MarkJ » Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:18 pm

Jeff Elliott charges about 14K or so for a Hauser style with Brazillian back/sides and Rodgers Tuners. However, he no longer takes orders. It is quite possible that those that got in the queue 15 years ago are reselling through GSI or someplace like that for for 20K or so. Ho does make a wonderfull Hauser styles instrument (modified quite a bit though from the original)

Sanft

Post by Sanft » Fri Nov 10, 2006 5:18 pm

I played two guitars by Otto Rauch recently. His design is based on Hauser. However, the instruments somehow sound more like Dammann than Hauser. Very loud, direct, percussion, I felt quite at home playing for example Torroba and Rodrigo, they do a great job with colours, but "Musingly" from "Nocturnal" just didn't sing like it did on Bream's 1940 Hauser or my Dammann. I guess that's the trick: building BOTH into the guitar, the agressive hit and the suave melody.
Clemens … el niño que soñó la musica :fume:

Return to “Luthiers”