Luthiers Available in New York area?

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
flydav

Luthiers Available in New York area?

Post by flydav » Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:34 pm

I have no experience with luthiers here in New York and found nothing in the web, I just have bought a Ramirez with a couple of line cracks so where would you suggest me to turn to?
Somebody who I can really trust... :wink:

I would like not to ship the instrument and to talk to the luthier face to face.

arons

Post by arons » Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Go see Tony at Luthier Music Corp. in Manhattan, on 44th Street between 8th and 9th Aves. Tony has a stellar reputation and his store is a trusted source for CG'ers across New York City. He has served Jorge Morel, Paco de Lucia, and many other great guitarists over the last few decades. They have a website at http://www.luthiermusic.com .

Best,
Aron

flydav

Post by flydav » Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:22 am

Aron

Actually I thought about Luthier because I bought my first Ramirez there, but since their prices about guitars are very high in comparison to same models and years found elsewhere I thought that would not be a nice idea to ask for their service.
Unless their luthier makes his own prices and is not related to the Store's management if you know what I mean.

nyccg

Post by nyccg » Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:42 am

A regular poster at the GSI forum recommended this guy in NYC. This is what he wrote:
"Here's a luthier in New York City. He's done several repairs for me.
Honest, fast, reliable, reasonable, and very very good.
What more do you need?
Matthew Rubendall
917 575 0268"

arons

Post by arons » Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:48 pm

flydav wrote:Actually I thought about Luthier because I bought my first Ramirez there, but since their prices about guitars are very high in comparison to same models and years found elsewhere I thought that would not be a nice idea to ask for their service.
Unless their luthier makes his own prices and is not related to the Store's management if you know what I mean.
Yes, their guitar prices can be somewhat high, but that is because they are a small store and they take very good care of every instrument that comes in the door. Also, the service you receive after purchasing there is second to none.

For all the same reasons, the repairs there will also not be the cheapest, but you can bet you are going to get excellent service and not have to worry a bit about your guitar coming back sounding like it was just dropped on the floor, which is the case with many repair shops. The luthier is the store's management, so no luck on that end, but again, I highly recommend using them. I take my guitars in at least once a year just for a "tune-up."

Hope that helps.

Best,
Aron

fereng01

Try The Guitar Salon

Post by fereng01 » Tue Oct 24, 2006 2:09 pm

Dear flydav,

You might consider calling the classical guitar dealer Beverly Maher @ The Guitar Salon In Manhattan, I'm sure she will tell you who she uses for repairs and adjustments. I spoke with her years ago and she seemed very knowledgable and nice. She has been in the business many years.
Hope this helps.

Sincerely,
fereng01

The Guitar Salon (By appointment only)
45 Grove Street
New York, NY 10014
Tel: 212-675-3236
Fax: 212-367-9767

Beverly Maher

Mark S

Luthier

Post by Mark S » Tue Oct 24, 2006 3:50 pm

I bought one of my guitars at Luthier, but was NOT impressed with the techician that he had. I recommend Bob Jones in Park Slope (I don't have his number offhand, but someone should know it). He has worked on my Santos Hernandez, and my teacher trusts him with her Hauser I, so he handles high quality classical guitars as well as steel strings. He's very busy, so you might have to wait a couple of weeks after you leave it.

flydav

Post by flydav » Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:31 pm

Thank you very much for your feedback guys...

Return to “Luthiers”