Requinto builders in USA?

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
soltirefa

Re: Requinto builders in USA?

Post by soltirefa » Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:16 am

I'd be looking to have one made which was not a flashy Mariachi type model, with the bling-bling rosette and purflings. And also not one with either a cutaway nor built-in electronics. As for seeking out a USA builder, well that's where I live, and why deal with international shipping and customs/import charges if I don't have to?
"Hello, Darren Hippner? How have you been?"

PS Have you checked out some of the videos of the Cordoba Mini? I wonder if that'd fulfill your needs. There are some really impressive-sounding videos.

Not necessarily the best audio, but here's one.

janepaints

Post by janepaints » Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:49 am

soltirefa wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:16 am

"Hello, Darren Hippner? How have you been?"

PS Have you checked out some of the videos of the Cordoba Mini? I wonder if that'd fulfill your needs. There are some really impressive-sounding videos.

Not necessarily the best audio, but here's one.

lovely sound and lovely spirit in the playing

MAK

Post by MAK » Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:58 am

I'm privileged to be able to play the instruments at the Pimentel Guitar shop in Albuquerque (before my lessons.) Their requintos are as nicely built as their guitars and they sound very nice, too. I say this as an amateur, but I've played a lot of different guitars. They can be built and decorated as fancy or as plain as you want them.

soltirefa

Post by soltirefa » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:21 am

It's interesting to note that the Cordoba requinto has only a 47mm nut, while the Cordoba Mini has a 50mm nut. That's one of the attractive selling points of the Mini, it has a regular-width nut so you're hand won't get cramped.

Check out Strings by Mail instruments to see the stats on the different models.

Michael.N.

Post by Michael.N. » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:54 am

Personally I'd go for an instrument near 56/57 cm's. That kind of string length/body size places it in the G terz tuning but A tuning and even standard tuning is easy to attain. The smaller the body/soundboard aggregate the more it pushes the sound towards that of a ukulele - which of course is perfectly fine if that's the sound that you are aiming for. Given the repertoire that David Norton highlights then no doubt the G tuning is more appropriate given the fact that most 6 course lutes and vihuelas are tuned to G. In fact I'd specifically try to seek out a ladder braced Terz because they seem to have more in common with lutes/vihuelas. I've often said that a romantic style terz is the ideal guitar replacement for those instruments. Not the same of course but closer than other smaller guitars. I've no idea why they seem to be overlooked in respect of this. With a string change (or perhaps not) you'd probably be able to tune that Cordoba down to G. You might enjoy the lower string tension but of course you may find it too slack.
Historicalguitars.

Altophile

Post by Altophile » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:11 pm

I'm not familiar with quality quint builders in the USA, but I've heard that Cornelia Traudt, a German luthier, makes wonderful quint guitars:

http://www.traudt-guitars.com/html/gale ... nit_e.html

Here's David Qualey playing one:

Nappingdog

Post by Nappingdog » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:40 pm

Manuel Delgado in Nashville tn, he builds all kinds. I played a lovely requinto there last month.
Mark A, tupelo MS
Chris Carrington cedar 1995
Sakurai no 5 1975
Kenny Hill(la Mancha) Munich
Martin om-21 steel string
Takamine hirade h-15
Mitsuru Tamura 500 spruce/indian 1975
J Ramírez 1a 1974

amezcua

Post by amezcua » Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:50 pm

There is a very good recording of Andy Lee playing Pavana by Tarrega on a quarter size guitar. Why don`t they just call it a requinto ? He plays a CIM 1/4 Cordoba . I had to return next day to find that recording again .There are plenty of other version on full size guitars but this one hits the musical spot exactly . So firstly Lee as a musician impressed me and then the instrument itself was far better sounding than many others on youtube. . This instrument is tuned down to standard frequencies and the bass notes are outstanding . There are other hesitant players , and other famous players but few express the music as well as Lee .One very brilliant player goes so fast it`s impossible to register the music as the same piece.
I have to wonder why certain very angry , strident opinions are so against smaller guitars . Leave us alone will you ?

larryguitar

Post by larryguitar » Thu May 17, 2018 1:05 am

Dr. James Westbrook, noted guitar scholar, told me he bought a requinto by Madrid maker Vincente Camacho and is restoring it. So, if anyone is looking to buy a requinto, shoot me a PM and I'll put you in touch with James. James is not on Delcamp. Camacho was himself a requinto player, according to James.

Return to “Luthiers”