Brune method of construction

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
GuitarsWeB

Re: Brune method of construction

Post by GuitarsWeB » Mon May 14, 2018 7:26 pm

mlau wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 5:22 pm
I think of Brune as world class.

I also think of Al Carruth as world class too...hell, there's a number of "amateur" builders here that are better than many pros.
Brad Heinzen comes to mind.
I’m talking about world class players, not guitar makers.

Rosewood

Post by Rosewood » Tue May 15, 2018 9:22 am

Paul Micheletti wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 4:37 pm
I've had it on my to-do list for a while to photograph and write a blog on this method of using a sanding drum and spline for neck attachment. I'll make sure to document the process when I do it on the next guitar and post up a link to the blog here. I hope to have this together in a couple of months.
That'd be really great to see, if you get chance to put it together.

simonm

Post by simonm » Tue May 15, 2018 9:38 am

Rosewood wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 3:39 pm
…. The only part that seems a bit vague are how people accurately route the body and neck mortises to ensure that everything is correctly aligned.
Skill and experience.

Peter_T
Amateur luthier

Post by Peter_T » Sun May 20, 2018 5:05 pm

Paul Micheletti wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 4:07 am

There you go... straight from the master himself. I'm very privileged to be able to consider Richard a friend.
Hi Paul, just posting to say thanks very much for this informative post. Fantastic information and hopefully very on-point for the OP and others interested in this step of Brune's build process.

David Schramm
Luthier

Post by David Schramm » Mon May 21, 2018 5:05 pm

I've used many types of neck/body joints. Spanish method, Gilbert tapered mortise and tenon (Dove tail without the dovetail), and my favorite the double mortise spline joint. Makes no difference in the sound. Anyone who says the Spanish joint is superior for sound is full of hot air. Empirical data proves otherwise.

The double mortise and spline joint is just a 1/4 mortise in the body and in the neck heel. The neck angle is tested and fitted and then a 1/4" spline glued in to attach both parts.

David Schramm

Stephen Faulk

Post by Stephen Faulk » Tue May 22, 2018 10:22 am

I like the spline joint too. Funny story, I made a really nice guitar for one dude. I documented the spline joint process and jig. Showef the photos to others on a guitar forum. The guy got all pissy and said that that kind of joint was cheating and only people who make mistakes on the traditional Spanish way my

I just shook my head. Some people are just crazy. I do both
Patience at the bending iron pays in rounded dividends!

GuitarsWeB

Post by GuitarsWeB » Tue May 22, 2018 1:45 pm

Stephen Faulk wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 10:22 am
I like the spline joint too. Funny story, I made a really nice guitar for one dude. I documented the spline joint process and jig. Showef the photos to others on a guitar forum. The guy got all pissy and said that that kind of joint was cheating and only people who make mistakes on the traditional Spanish way my

I just shook my head. Some people are just crazy. I do both

Your buyer is totally ignorant about woodworking in general and guitar/instrument building. The double mortise and spline joint has been used in woodworking back to the Egyptian days. As I stated in an earlier post, Jose Oribe has made some 2500 guitars since 1962 and uses it. If the Spanish Heel method is so great, why are there so many instruments out of Spain that develop neck angle problems?

Stephen Faulk

Post by Stephen Faulk » Wed May 23, 2018 12:23 am

That guy was ignorant of many things. Not to worry.
Patience at the bending iron pays in rounded dividends!

Return to “Luthiers”