Angelo Spataffi "Early Romantic" guitar (1993)

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
Mr.Rain

Angelo Spataffi "Early Romantic" guitar (1993)

Post by Mr.Rain » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:28 am

Hi all,

I was checking EvilBay(not my usual past time), when I saw a little "early romantic" guitar (inexpensive) :

-year of construction:1993
-scale: 615mm
-body length;38.5cm
-body width: 20,5/16,5/ 28,5
- body depth 7,8
-top : redwood (sequoia)
-back/sides: poplar root
-neck:maple

All I know (very little), is that the builder is an experienced luthier (mainly violins) from a family of luthiers.
It seems to be moderately ornamented and well made (based in the pics)
Would appreciate if anybody had some info about the builder or this type of guitars.

Needless to say, I am waiting for the guitar :mrgreen:

:bye:

Michael.N.

Re: Angelo Spataffi "Early Romantic" guitar (1993)

Post by Michael.N. » Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:47 am

It's a bit odd. Don't think I've come across anything quite like it. Seems to have elements taken from all sorts of sources. The head and 15 frets suggests baroque guitar but I doubt it was made as one. Plantilla looks very vaguely like some late French baroque guitars or early romantic guitars but taken to an extreme. The decorative parts hint at folk instruments or at least they do to my eye.
Historicalguitars.

Mr.Rain

Post by Mr.Rain » Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:22 pm

Yeah, it is an oddity. I would love to have a baroque guitar, but i cannot find anything cheap (considering i do not play that much of baroque music),so i hope this will "fill the gap"
Hope the craftsmanship is as good as it looks in the pics...

Mr.Rain

Post by Mr.Rain » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:26 am

Still trying to obtain more info...

I got a tiny bit from the seller, he is the son of the luthier, he commented the instrument was his father personal guitar (it is 25 years old, and has a good amount of use)...

Michael.N.

Post by Michael.N. » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:39 am

The wood choice for the neck seems strange. Not that it's maple but the cut seems a bit towards the wild side for neck wood. I'd double check that the neck is straight and action is OK.
Personally I find it hard to get past that body shape but that's just my aesthetic.
Historicalguitars.

Mr.Rain

Post by Mr.Rain » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:16 am

Yeah the body shape is a bit bold :) (i kind of like it,along with the headstock)

I am still waiting for the guitar...will reach some closure(hopefully soon)

I was told the guitar is in playable condition (neck/action), As it is being sold by the son of the luthier(I hope it was properly inspected).
I agree, the neck doesn't look like the "standard" cut,I hope tension wise it is ok (low tension,no deformations).

es335

Post by es335 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:06 pm

Interesting guitar. Did you realize that ball end type of strings are are to be inserted from the front and make 180 degree bend like on those old combined bridge/tailpieces of 1950s Gibson electrics?

Assuming the wood of the neck might be not what one would recommend, it is „reincorced“ with a rather thick rosewood fingerboard.

Will be interesting to hear how she plays and sounds. :wink: :D

Mr.Rain

Post by Mr.Rain » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:51 pm

Yeah the bridge is also a bit weird (like a gibson tailpiece with a wrap around) front to back.
The fingerboard looks moderately thick for that neck, not sure if its ebony or dyed rosewood there are no marks on it, while the top has plenty...
Still i guess it will be a very light (and low tension) instrument,so if it held 25 years(and still has a normal action), i hope it will be good...

MessyTendon
Amateur luthier

Post by MessyTendon » Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:33 am

How does it sound, how does it play? I remember when redwood top material was like 29.95 a set of sinker redwood...now it's like some crazy exotic.

If I could find more redwood I'd love to try it.

Mr.Rain

Post by Mr.Rain » Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:33 pm

MessyTendon wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:33 am
How does it sound, how does it play? I remember when redwood top material was like 29.95 a set of sinker redwood...now it's like some crazy exotic.

If I could find more redwood I'd love to try it.
I think LMI has plenty of redwood, for the same price of euro spruce...

Still haven't received the guitar easter is huge in some countries here so... all is stuck as it were xmas...

MessyTendon
Amateur luthier

Post by MessyTendon » Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:39 am

LMI jacked up prices on all things redwood. The fact is redwood is actually an extremely rare material for guitar tops.

I understand that, but from 29.95 set...to 90$ a set...No thanks.

LMI also thinks it's a great idea to call yellow glue special and charge 23.30$ for a 16 ounce bottle or 83.00 a gallon...No, please don't get me started about these folks...

LMI once offered redwood tops at a reasonable price but as interest grew they doubled and tripled the price. LMI can bite me.

Now back to the subject of this guitar, I find it fascinating that this redwood could make it's way to the other side of the globe for somebody to make an instrument.

If it sounds good, please enjoy it and know that you have a rare tonewood top material...of course redwood isn't rare, but for musical instrument tops it's rare...

Mr.Rain

Post by Mr.Rain » Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:58 pm

Yeah I agree 90 bucks for a top is a lot of money (when you can get the best euro spruce for that,with all the voodoo involved,still it will need to be stored for years...)

In Spain we have barber and madinter (AFAIK they have no redwood) but their prices are way lower than LMI.

I think the redwood ended up in Italy, the same way cedar is used here.At the end, expensive guitars where made in spain were 0 local woods :D(all imported,same way as today since very early...)

acmost9

Post by acmost9 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:05 pm

Time's up...where's the guitar? :)

powderedtoastman

Post by powderedtoastman » Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:11 pm

Very interesting, this may be the first time I've seen even a romantic/baroque-inspired guitar with any top other than spruce. I would be interested to know what the bracing is! If it's fan-braced then it may end up sounding closer to a usual modern Spanish-style guitar, with some subtle differences because of the body shape/size.
I'm not sure that I've seen/heard a ladder braced guitar with cedar or redwood.
I'm super curious about it either way!

Mr.Rain

Post by Mr.Rain » Thu May 10, 2018 1:19 pm

Update on this.

The neck was straight but the angle was screwed. the guitar had a deformation in the neck joint, it had a huge hump and the angle was messed up.
The las frets were so tall it buzzed after the 10th fret...

It also had active cracks, the bridge was partially unglued. Apart of all of this the body had a ton of bumps that were filled with wax in the same color...

Needless to say i returned the guitar..

It was a big deception...

Return to “Luthiers”