The girl with braces

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
ChristianSchwengeler
Luthier

The girl with braces

Post by ChristianSchwengeler » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:03 pm

"The girl with braces" is my test mule where I can fix temporarely a top for testing and find out if I want to change something. This is one of my nomex sandwich tops and I have played on it for a few weeks and I will mount it now defintively on a proper body and finish the instrument
IMG_0605v.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

simonm

Re: The girl with braces

Post by simonm » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:32 pm

Really great Christian. Thanks for posting that picture.

Michael.N.

Post by Michael.N. » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:59 pm

Now that's a very dedicated guitar maker.
Historicalguitars.

musikai

Post by musikai » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:32 pm

You almost invented a guitar with interchangeable tops. ! :)
Sagreras Gitarrenschule PDF
Free Project: LibreOffice Songbook Architect (LOSA)
See website link

ChristianSchwengeler
Luthier

Post by ChristianSchwengeler » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:47 pm

musikai wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:32 pm
You almost invented a guitar with interchangeable tops. ! :)
In fact my regular DT's have a bolted on neck with elevated fingerboard and I can replace a top with much less trouble than this would be the case on a traditional build. I just take the neck of, route the top away and recover the rosette and the bridge and build then a new top. I did it allready on a clients guitar which had a serious acident. I did even maintaine the bindings, and it was not necessary to revarnish the instrument unless the new top of course. Never understood whats the point about the famous spanish heel etc. and can't find anything bad on a bolted on neck.
Last edited by ChristianSchwengeler on Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chiral3

Post by chiral3 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:56 pm

Awesome. I've seen many contraptions over the years that do this, but yours' is the nicest looking and arguably the most functional since the guitar is strung.
"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect" - Margaret Mitchell

printer2

Post by printer2 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:46 pm

You have made a classical banjo!
Fred

Steve Ganz
Luthier

Post by Steve Ganz » Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:59 pm

Is playing it like kissing a girl with braces?
Do kissers with braces really ever get stuck together?
Steve

Marcus Dominelli
Luthier

Post by Marcus Dominelli » Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:54 pm

Looks interesting Christian.
If David Cronenberg was to ever feature a classical guitar in one of his movies this would be it!!

Beowulf

Post by Beowulf » Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:06 pm

Do all those braces affect the body resonances?
1971 Yamaha GC-10 (Hideyuki Ezaki)
2017 Yamaha GC82S (Akio Naniki/Naohiro Kawashima)

geoff-bristol
Amateur luthier

Post by geoff-bristol » Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:28 pm

Beowulf wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:06 pm
That was my feeling as well - would it not just be easier to tack it on with hot glue ?
I was trying to think what it reminded me of - and as soon as David Kroneborg was mentioned I realised what it was.

It is a very interesting image in its own right - something slightly sinister about it ?

ChristianSchwengeler
Luthier

Post by ChristianSchwengeler » Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:47 pm

chiral3 wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:56 pm
Awesome. I've seen many contraptions over the years that do this, but yours' is the nicest looking and arguably the most functional since the guitar is strung.
Thank you, I am glad you like it
printer2 wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:46 pm
You have made a classical banjo!
The concept is pretty much inspired on the banjo yes, with the difrence that the braces don´t stretch the top like they do in the case of a Banjo
Steve Ganz wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:59 pm
Is playing it like kissing a girl with braces?
Do kissers with braces really ever get stuck together?
It feels pretty much like kissing a girl with braces yes, even if I never did, but I imagine it like that. I had to put an armrest on and the same on other places where it is in contact with the body, as you would really hurt you or damage the clothes
Marcus Dominelli wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:54 pm
Looks interesting Christian.
If David Cronenberg was to ever feature a classical guitar in one of his movies this would be it!!
Yes it is a bit Sifi but it does the job and this is what matters. I have figured out a much more elegant solution to make a real guitar with interchangeable tops, but probably nobody would want a guitar like that so I keep it how it is. but if somebody wants a guitar like that without the ugly braces I am happy to build one
Beowulf wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:06 pm
It does not affect the body resonance in any way - body resonance has nothing to do with this but only with the volume of the box, size of opening, stiffness and weight and doming of the top, and flexibility and weight of the back. This specific test gave a resonance as low as E. In fact it was the matter of the test to find out how doming and directional stiffness of the top would affect the sound, comparing with my regular DT model. Interestingly the test did not confirm my expectations, even if I like the sound of the instrument very much. The purpose of this kind of test mules is to have always exactly the same parameters - the only thing which is different is the top and the bridge, the rest is equal in all the experiments and in this context it is not important how the clamps would affect the resonance, even if they don't!
Last edited by ChristianSchwengeler on Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.

ChristianSchwengeler
Luthier

Post by ChristianSchwengeler » Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:47 pm

This is one of my spruce Sandwich top in concert https://myspace.com/ergoponto/music/son ... -129865439.

MessyTendon
Amateur luthier

Post by MessyTendon » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:36 pm

Christian...I admire your discipline to try to get each variable so close. I'm having trouble enough making clamps and jigs :)

I have always dreamed of a coupler system that allowed easy changes of tops. Yours looks pretty good for testing the sound.

Did you CNC these parts?

ChristianSchwengeler
Luthier

Post by ChristianSchwengeler » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:55 pm

MessyTendon wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:36 pm
Christian...I admire your discipline to try to get each variable so close. I'm having trouble enough making clamps and jigs :)

I have always dreamed of a coupler system that allowed easy changes of tops. Yours looks pretty good for testing the sound.

Did you CNC these parts?
No CNC needed it is pretty much straight forward. I took a aluminium square profile 1 1/2 inch x 3/4 and cut one of the larger sides away with a grinder in a way to have the correct size of the "hooks" on both sides, cut it into sections, then made the holes, and the thread with a thread cutters on half of the clamps, and 2 larger extra holes for the srews and to reach the screws with the screw driver on the other half of the clamps, - the thread is only needed on the other half of the clamps. You need gloves and a sanding disk to smothen the edges, and you need to make some extra, as the thread will not always come out well in aluminium. It took me about an hour and a half or a bit more to make the clamps.
IMGP4092 f.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Luthiers”