Chord Resonance and Tuners.

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
amezcua

Chord Resonance and Tuners.

Post by amezcua » Tue May 01, 2018 12:11 pm

Look on this as another Wiggly Frets topic. Well that cleared the room .
Anyway ,due to an understandable scepticism about other extra terrestrial fret tunings using wiggly frets I thought of a quick and simple way to get a comparison with good old ET.
Find a good electronic tuner with programmed in Temperaments. For example the Thomas Young temperament will give lots of nice Thirds to savour. Thirds are not outstandingly good in ET so with a normal standard guitar with straight frets select some chords to test the before and after sounds. Set the tuner to read ET notes first on 440 Hz and play each chord six times into a recorder and speak before the recordings to say what you are playing. That`s your base for comparisons.
Now set the tuner to Thomas Young temperament with a 440 hz starting point as before . You need to alter the string tuning for the specific notes of the chords previously recorded. Forget the open string tuning unless an open string lands in the new chord.
Tune the separate notes on the fretboard to make up each chord and then speak the name of the chord and make six new chord records . Maybe two separate recorders would be better for instant comparisons .
See if you think the Young Temperament chords sound better or worse than the ET chords . If you want to find out the difference this is physically possible so make the effort to do it . Then nobody needs to say "No photos or recordings and it "Ain`t happened ".

prawnheed

Re: Chord Resonance and Tuners.

Post by prawnheed » Tue May 01, 2018 12:34 pm

I am happy with ET tuning. It has many advantages, especially for an istrument with limited range and polyphony, like a guitar.

The various forms of well tempered tuning might suit a solo piano where the the choice of key to play in is less restricted, but for a guitar, I prefer to have consistent intervals when changing key.

And I play a lot with other instruments.

bacsidoan

Post by bacsidoan » Tue May 01, 2018 4:00 pm

Your tenacity is admirable. I also concede that major thirds in ET are the worst. Still, you're fighting a losing battle convincing people to abandon ET for classical guitar. I'd like to see one fully converted Delcamp forumite to announce his/her presence here.

amezcua

Post by amezcua » Wed May 02, 2018 11:09 pm

Not really much to do with tenacity . I have two versions working now. One is Kirnberger III and the other is Thomas Young. By the way this six chord recording comparison only requires a small change in the string tension and nothing like an alteration .
Did I say "Abandon ET"?
?
?
No.

amezcua

Post by amezcua » Thu May 10, 2018 8:19 am

A similar theme showed up in Wikipedia yeterday under Overtones Tuning. If you read all the way down the way the strings resonate between each other gives a big sound improvement. That is similar to (for example ) the Young Temperament and the more colourful chords you hear . I think there is an assumption on this forum that anything different to ET will not combine with other instruments. That may or may not be true as there has been very little mentioned about it.
Is there an expert somewhere in the world that knows one way or the other ? The truth may end up buried for 2 or 3 hundred years without the answer . That would not surprise me .

amezcua

Post by amezcua » Fri May 11, 2018 10:36 pm

Chord resonance is at the heart of temperaments. A great site to get some perspective about this is Carey Beebe Harpsichords.
www.hpschd.nu/index.html?nav/nav-4.html ... p/faq.html
Harpsichords use notes and chords too .The site discusses tuning details of 31 temperaments and how well or not they can modulate . Just skim past the tuning details and you can learn a lot .He has a nice sense of humour and a direct Australian style.
This guitar forum has been lost in the wilderness and needs some decent music history to fill up a huge gap .
I have to warn you he talks about Evil Temperament and seems to have a swing at the Jiulliard School of Music too . Nice one Carey .
One of the temperaments Carey Beebe tuned on a harpsichord was requested for a duet with a flute . Another temperament was well suited to accompany a violin . It`s not such a bad idea to explore the ways a guitar sound can be improved . The outer limits so far seem to extend to pretty tuning machines and double tops that shift the guitar sound a bit further than many people like.

Return to “Luthiers”