Ezo Spruce

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
Stephen Faulk

Re: Ezo Spruce

Post by Stephen Faulk » Tue May 15, 2018 11:27 am

Really not an appropriate subject, I would think. That subject path is like talking about Nazi war crimes because we're on the topic of Hauser's guitars. It also leads to the examination of what all nations have done with the misuse of power during war times or colonial conquests.

That route leads to a round robin of blame and acrimony that destroys confidence on music forums. I went to school in China and I'm pretty up on 19th and 20th c. Asian history, so I'm not encouraging that line of conversation.
Patience at the bending iron pays in rounded dividends!

edcat7

Post by edcat7 » Tue May 15, 2018 11:47 am

chiral3 wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 11:22 am
edcat7 wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 8:30 am
I wonder if anyone has read the book by Iris Chang? I'd rather not mention the title to those who've haven't read it. Just Google her name.
Yup. Amazing part of of largely untold history and important for everyone to be aware of. Sad end for Ms Chang. Unit 731 also occupies the same space in the awareness of what humans are capable of.
I stumbled upon a film on YT based on that unit . I literally couldn't sleep afterwards.
Remember Anthony Weller, please help. Contact myself or Aaron Green for details.

edcat7

Post by edcat7 » Tue May 15, 2018 11:50 am

Stephen Faulk wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 11:27 am
Really not an appropriate subject, I would think. That subject path is like talking about Nazi war crimes because we're on the topic of Hauser's guitars. It also leads to the examination of what all nations have done with the misuse of power during war times or colonial conquests.

That route leads to a round robin of blame and acrimony that destroys confidence on music forums. I went to school in China and I'm pretty up on 19th and 20th c. Asian history, so I'm not encouraging that line of conversation.
Well said. Thanks.
Remember Anthony Weller, please help. Contact myself or Aaron Green for details.

Beowulf

Post by Beowulf » Tue May 15, 2018 2:22 pm

Stephen Faulk wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 12:37 am
I don't have time to unravel that passage by Joel stice. But it gets several things wrong that bother me. Ine is that samurai were not butchers, they had to be provoked.

One writer provided a better characterization of trade conditions, he said it was more like being in a very strict boarding school. Usually when people got into clashes it was because foreigners who knew better were not following the protocol and being arrogant.
Here is an account of the Sakai incident that is likely to be more accurate: https://samurainovelist.com/2015/07/21/ ... dent-1868/

The "sailors" were from a French warship, the Japanese soldiers were not samurai (but were elevated to that status by their subsequent honorable deaths), their actions were provoked and Japan agreed to reparations and executions for political/military reasons.

My point was not to deprecate the samurai, rather I was postulating that the difficulties in developing a career as an artisan or advancing in the business world may also have to do with social and cultural issues.
1971 Yamaha GC-10 (Hideyuki Ezaki)
2017 Yamaha GC82S (Akio Naniki/Naohiro Kawashima)

Stephen Faulk

Post by Stephen Faulk » Wed May 16, 2018 1:21 am

Beowulf wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 2:22 pm
Stephen Faulk wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 12:37 am
I don't have time to unravel that passage by Joel stice. But it gets several things wrong that bother me. Ine is that samurai were not butchers, they had to be provoked.

One writer provided a better characterization of trade conditions, he said it was more like being in a very strict boarding school. Usually when people got into clashes it was because foreigners who knew better were not following the protocol and being arrogant.
Here is an account of the Sakai incident that is likely to be more accurate: https://samurainovelist.com/2015/07/21/ ... dent-1868/

The "sailors" were from a French warship, the Japanese soldiers were not samurai (but were elevated to that status by their subsequent honorable deaths), their actions were provoked and Japan agreed to reparations and executions for political/military reasons.

My point was not to deprecate the samurai, rather I was postulating that the difficulties in developing a career as an artisan or advancing in the business world may also have to do with social and cultural issues.

I didn't take it as a put down. Just saying there's a lot of hooey and cliches about samurai in Western pop culture and it obsures the real stories. I just dislike the sensational samurai story as an entry point to Japan culture, and most Japanese folks agree.

My father in law is an 85 year old widower who found a girlfriend by internet dating. His kids hate that he did that. Since I'm American and of a certain generation it seems quite fine to me, I covertly protect and support him. Japan is dealing with the same issues we all deal with, it's not mysterious. And yet there's an element of the culture being highly self referential by virtue of being an archipelago and having a singular unique language that is frankly, mysterious.

I'm just a stranger here myself.
Patience at the bending iron pays in rounded dividends!

James Frieson

Post by James Frieson » Wed May 16, 2018 6:48 am

" Just saying there's a lot of hooey and cliches about samurai in Western pop culture and it obsures the real stories. I just dislike the sensational samurai story as an entry point to Japan culture, and most Japanese folks agree. "
A fairly to the point and concise remark .
When first came here , I was an impatient berk , a real idiot sometimes .
It takes time for the foundations of preconceptions to lose grip , so that the spirit of place and the subtleties of a people and culture , that is new to one , can be experienced .

Return to “Luthiers”