Cracked bridge on a Terada

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
Victoria Ferrell
Amateur luthier

Cracked bridge on a Terada

Post by Victoria Ferrell » Wed May 09, 2018 1:50 am

Several months ago, I purchased a Terada from an individual on an internet site. For the most part, the entirety of the guitar is in excellent condition. The I noticed the bridge was cracked and the nut missing. I took it to the place where I get lessons. I told them it looked like someone had already glued the bridge. They were sure glue could fix it. The repair person confirmed that it had already been glued. It needs to be completely replaced and they recommended another business for this.

I have some experience with woodwork and a number of other crafts. Frankly, I believe I can repair it myself.

How do I remove the cracked bridge? What type of glue do I use to replace it?

Thank in advance to anyone who offers their experience in response to this query.

I told my oldest, to whom I hoped to give this guitar, that I was taking this issue to the only people with whom I could trust the problem...all of you.
I don't want to play like other guitarists; I want to give voice to the song of my own soul.

Laudiesdad69

Re: Cracked bridge on a Terada

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Wed May 09, 2018 4:13 am

If it were me, I would let a pro handle it. If you try and pry the bridge off cold, and even if you use heat, when the bridge comes off it can take chunks of the top with it when it is removed. Also, you don’t know what kind of glue was used when the previous owner glued it. If it was superglue, it may be more difficult than with a Hyde glue. Plus there is the matter of being able to clamp it when installing the new bridge. The nut would be easy enough, as long as you have the proper tools. Still, don’t expect a perfect nut if it is your first time making one. Hope this helps.

If you still want to try, checkout YouTube. See if Dan Erlewine has some videos of these.

Philosopherguy

Post by Philosopherguy » Wed May 09, 2018 4:26 am

The problem with unknown glue is this: Does it take heat to let go? Does it take moisture to let go? Do it take blunt force to let go? Unless you know, it can be difficult. A professional might know what to look for when trying to remove a bridge. I'm sure anyone can do it. But, do you know what to look for before attempting it?

I think that is the million dollar question...

Martin
2013 Ramirez 130 Anos - Spruce
2013 Ramirez 4NE - Cedar
1998 Dean Harrington - Spruce
1977 Kuniharu Nobe - Spruce
1971 Yamaha GC3 - Spruce

James Frieson

Post by James Frieson » Wed May 09, 2018 10:25 am

Terada Gakki is a city block in Nagoya , a large factory where many thousands of guitars have been made of surprising variety .
I was there only for a day but I liked the spirit of the place and was impressed with the workmanship there .
Depending on the guitar the bridge might have neen glued right onto a finished surface using modern glue , or the glue might not be amenable to removal with heat . In which case it might be advisable to plane and carve it off .
If t is a cheap guitar the top might be of plywood .. another reason for caution .

simonm

Post by simonm » Wed May 09, 2018 12:25 pm

Removing bridges is not for the faint of heart especially if you have no idea what glue was used. Philosopherguy mentioned 3 ways of doing it. Another method is to use a wood plane to remove most of of the material and the heat +/- liquid to finish the job.

Victoria Ferrell
Amateur luthier

Post by Victoria Ferrell » Sun May 13, 2018 3:07 am

@simonm, I was leaning toward the use of a small wood planer or using a very delicate hand with a very sharp chisel. Having read the suggestions above, I think it may be best to go to the pros. If the shop where I was learning, which regularly repairs instruments, cannot repair this one, it is certainly beyond my skill.

This guitar is made of beautiful wood and when I speak into the sound hole, I can hear the resonance. It is an old 70s model, classical guitar, luthier built, Even with the cracked bridge, I still feel that to have purchased such a lovely solid-wood classic guitar was a good choice. I wanted a luthier built guitar and I got one. It just needs some love.

Thank you all for the wonderful suggestion, especially as regards the unknown glue. It would be a terrible shame to destroy this guitar by using the wrong method.
I don't want to play like other guitarists; I want to give voice to the song of my own soul.

MessyTendon
Amateur luthier

Post by MessyTendon » Sun May 13, 2018 5:50 am

Try Stewart Port for repairs. He's reasonable...actually a helluva lot more reasonable than a lot of shops. If you can do the dirty work of bridge removal and cleaning up the wood. I am sure he could make you a nice new bridge and fit it just right for a reasonable price.

Philipp Lerche
Amateur luthier

Post by Philipp Lerche » Sun May 13, 2018 7:48 pm

Blame on me, but my first approach on removing bridges is a hot kitchen knife. Especially if you already have a gap between board and bridge.
I also removed the bridge of a Terada classical in the past and my method worked overwhelmingly well.
"If you spend too much time thinking about a thing, you'll never get it done."
Bruce Lee

Best regards
Phil

Return to “Luthiers”