How to adjust nut for "pinging" strings while tuning

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
corius

How to adjust nut for "pinging" strings while tuning

Post by corius » Thu May 10, 2018 5:39 pm

Hi,

My D string occasionally "pings" when I tune up. I guess it's happening because the string is binding then slipping over the nut as I tune

It's not a big problem, but slightly irritating. Is there an easy way to fix it? The nut is bone.

Thanks in advance for any advice

prawnheed

Re: How to adjust nut for "pinging" strings while tuning

Post by prawnheed » Thu May 10, 2018 5:57 pm

Check that the slot is the right size and shape if so, try a bit of graphite lubricant, if that fails, it doesn't matter that much - just push down gently on the string behind the nut when tuning to equalise the tensions on either side of the nut.

amezcua

Post by amezcua » Thu May 10, 2018 7:29 pm

One string maker winds the metal on their strings in the reverse direction .You might be able to alternate .That`s if the winding is making a set of grooves in the nut . I would expect that more in a plastic nut .

djqsrv

Post by djqsrv » Thu May 10, 2018 8:32 pm

Just a thought. I was struggling with a d string that always stuck on one of my guitars. I polished and lubricated the nut slot and it still would stick when I tuned up. It would do the same thing you are describing. I would turn the peg and then ping it would slip and jump past where I was trying to tune. I finally asked on here for advice and it was recommended I should look at the roller sticking in the headstock. And that was exactly where it was binding up. The nut slot was fine. Just an FYI that its not always the nut.
“I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.“ - Jimi Hendrix

JohnB

Post by JohnB » Thu May 10, 2018 8:48 pm

One of the luthiers here (I think it might be Michael) has suggested using string of a suitable diameter with a very mild abrasive (such as that used to refresh car paint, e.g. T-Cut in the UK) to polish the slots in the nut - sliding the string too and fro in the nut slots. Do protect the head and fretboard from any residue though.
Last edited by JohnB on Thu May 10, 2018 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hermanos Conde 1968, Stephen Frith 2007 "Guijoso"

JohnB

Post by JohnB » Thu May 10, 2018 8:49 pm

dupliicate
Hermanos Conde 1968, Stephen Frith 2007 "Guijoso"

SteveL123

Post by SteveL123 » Thu May 10, 2018 9:06 pm

Another way I've found that works really well to polish a string slot is wrap a small piece of 1200 grit 3M wet/dry paper (approx 1" x 1") around a nylon E string and slide it back and forth in the slot.

Return to “Luthiers”