Adding a temporary fret marker to my guitar?

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
Orcas_

Adding a temporary fret marker to my guitar?

Post by Orcas_ » Mon May 14, 2018 7:24 pm

I've got a performance coming up fairly soon, and I've recently bought a new guitar that sounds great, a step up from the Cordoba C10 I've normally played and I enjoy that guitar a lot. I've never performed any pieces in front of an audience with my new classical, and the difference between this one and the C10 is that the c10 has fret side inlays while my current guitar does not.

Rehearsing my piece, I feel confident as I don't often mistake the frets, however I would still like to have an inlay, ideally on the 7th fret just incase something happens so that I can find my place on the fretboard again. A classmate used some sort of blue tape on the 5th fret of his guitar when he performed, however I didn't ask about it nor do I know if something like that would damage the wood in any way.

I'd appreciate any suggestions as the performance is fairly soon.

rpavich

Re: Adding a temporary fret marker to my guitar?

Post by rpavich » Mon May 14, 2018 7:43 pm

Orcas_ wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 7:24 pm
I've got a performance coming up fairly soon, and I've recently bought a new guitar that sounds great, a step up from the Cordoba C10 I've normally played and I enjoy that guitar a lot. I've never performed any pieces in front of an audience with my new classical, and the difference between this one and the C10 is that the c10 has fret side inlays while my current guitar does not.

Rehearsing my piece, I feel confident as I don't often mistake the frets, however I would still like to have an inlay, ideally on the 7th fret just incase something happens so that I can find my place on the fretboard again. A classmate used some sort of blue tape on the 5th fret of his guitar when he performed, however I didn't ask about it nor do I know if something like that would damage the wood in any way.

I'd appreciate any suggestions as the performance is fairly soon.
There are temporary fret markers that you can apply. I use these:

https://www.*** Commercial link removed ***/gp/product/B009N ... UTF8&psc=1

they last about a month then wear off
Asturias AST-100-heavily modified by Robert England.

djqsrv

Post by djqsrv » Mon May 14, 2018 7:56 pm

Blue tape sounds like low tac painters tape. I would wager a guess that it should be ok on the finish of the guitar. That being said I would not burnish it down. Just stick it lightly on there and you should be fine. That would be an easy to find, easy to apply and low cost solution. Or you can go with the made specifically for the application dots as mentioned above.
“I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.“ - Jimi Hendrix

Eric

Post by Eric » Mon May 14, 2018 8:46 pm

There's a company that makes non-permanent and semi-permanent fret dots. Kling-On. Name sounds like the nemesis-race of Captain Kirk's Enterprise crew from the original Star Trek. Even the non-permanent seem to remain in place until I take them off. YMMV if you wrap you thumb. All the best.

es335

Post by es335 » Mon May 14, 2018 8:49 pm

Rosette fret dot markers are non permanent and last several months on my guitars. Easy to apply and decent appearance.

hesson11

Post by hesson11 » Tue May 15, 2018 12:12 am

Sharon Isbn and I use White Out/Liquid Paper. (The only thing we have in common!) I've been using it for years. It stays in place, and if you want to remove it, just a flick of a thumbnail does the trick. Never experienced any damage to the finish.
-Bob

ameriken

Post by ameriken » Tue May 15, 2018 1:05 am

I used a piece of scotch tape on a guitar I used to own. Worked great.
Amalio Burguet 1A Spruce
Takamine C-132S

bacsidoan

Post by bacsidoan » Tue May 15, 2018 1:08 am

es335 wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 8:49 pm
Rosette fret dot markers are non permanent and last several months on my guitars. Easy to apply and decent appearance.
+1

Kent (our own Delcamper) will take good care of you.

George Crocket

Post by George Crocket » Tue May 15, 2018 6:11 am

hesson11 wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 12:12 am
Sharon Isbn and I use White Out/Liquid Paper. (The only thing we have in common!) I've been using it for years. It stays in place, and if you want to remove it, just a flick of a thumbnail does the trick. Never experienced any damage to the finish.
-Bob
Works for me.
George
2010 Stephen Eden spruce/cocobolo classical guitar
2012 Stephen Eden cedar/IRW classical guitar

simonm

Post by simonm » Tue May 15, 2018 7:20 am

Dozens of threads about this.

White-out aka Tippex was a simple solution back in the days of typewriters. Stationary/office supply places have sheets of self-adhesive marker dots in various sizes and colours. (from plain white to glorious pink glitter). Bits of any tape like your friend uses would be just fine too, just a bit messier, cutting out such a small piece if you want it any way regular - for one show it doesn't matter.

Permanent dots are not difficult either especially if you just want the 7th.

The only trick bit with permanent dots is if you want for example 5,7,9 is to get them lined up nicely - takes a bit of measuring and care. Otherwise it is just a matter of drilling a small hole and filling it with something light colored. Thin white plastic rod is the typical product used: put a bit of glue in the hole stick in the rod and cut it flush with a sharp blade. Sand it flush. Alternatively, mother of pearl dots can be used but then you have to make sure the hole is not too deep. Match sticks, thin cocktail sticks etc can also be used. Practice drilling on a piece of waste wood until your get the hand of it. If you have a local repair guy, it won't cost a fortune unless you want some sort of exotic marker such as a precious stone.

beanctr

Post by beanctr » Tue May 15, 2018 6:19 pm

Rosette fret dot markers are great. R
"Guitar Hobbyist"

Return to “Luthiers”