saddle slot

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
vesa

saddle slot

Post by vesa » Wed May 16, 2018 8:00 am

How much do you leave wood from the saddle slot to the front side of the bridge?
4-5 mm? My Marin has only a bit less than 3 mm.

Vesa
Vesa Kuokkanen

Antonio Marin nr. 813 1995 (Bouchet)
Vesa Kuokkanen 2016

James Lister
Luthier

Re: saddle slot

Post by James Lister » Wed May 16, 2018 8:28 am

Less than 3mm is risky IMO. I've seen one bridge where the front of the slot had broken off as a result of being made too thin. Depends on the wood used of course, and also the geometry (break angle and height of saddle above the slot), but generally 5mm is a safer bet, and I don't know of any advantage to making it thinner.

James
James Lister, luthier, Sheffield UK

Alan Carruth
Luthier

Post by Alan Carruth » Wed May 16, 2018 5:34 pm

I've been using a setback of 5mm; it doesn't look as elegant as 3mm, but what's elegant about a bridge with the front broken out? I also angle the saddle back by 9 degrees. This reduces the tipping force on it, which helps a lot. It also more or less automatically adjusts the compensation if you raise or lower the saddle to change the action height.

bacsidoan

Post by bacsidoan » Wed May 16, 2018 7:33 pm

Alan Carruth wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 5:34 pm
I've been using a setback of 5mm; it doesn't look as elegant as 3mm, but what's elegant about a bridge with the front broken out? I also angle the saddle back by 9 degrees. This reduces the tipping force on it, which helps a lot. It also more or less automatically adjusts the compensation if you raise or lower the saddle to change the action height.
I wish that all luthiers followed the practice of angling the saddle back for the reasons mentioned above.

Return to “Luthiers”