NEW GUITAR

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
guitarstudent

NEW GUITAR

Post by guitarstudent » Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:19 am

Hi
I just wanted to share that I am overjoyed with my latest acquisition. A Ramirez AE, from the E series, sames specs as 4E but with spruce instead of cedar top.

Its taken a couple of months trying out lots of guitars, but I kept coming back to the AE.

A truly wonderful instrument.

Vesuvio

Post by Vesuvio » Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:19 pm

I'm delighted to hear your news. It is always such a joy to get hold of a new guitar. I know you will have many years of great pleasure with this fine instrument and that you will enjoy it more and more as the top opens up and the tone matures. Best wishes, V.

guitarstudent

Post by guitarstudent » Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:09 pm

Vesuvio wrote:I'm delighted to hear your news. It is always such a joy to get hold of a new guitar. I know you will have many years of great pleasure with this fine instrument and that you will enjoy it more and more as the top opens up and the tone matures. Best wishes, V.
Vesuvio
Thankyou. I am hoping that in the 2 years it takes for that spruce to open up, I will have the level of skill to really appreciate it.

Alhambra

Post by Alhambra » Sat Nov 11, 2006 4:52 pm

Congrats

bones

Post by bones » Sat Nov 11, 2006 5:46 pm

guitarstudent wrote:
Vesuvio wrote:I'm delighted to hear your news. It is always such a joy to get hold of a new guitar. I know you will have many years of great pleasure with this fine instrument and that you will enjoy it more and more as the top opens up and the tone matures. Best wishes, V.
Vesuvio
Thankyou. I am hoping that in the 2 years it takes for that spruce to open up, I will have the level of skill to really appreciate it.
Congrats from me too, a new instrument can be a real joy. You may not have to wait two years for the sound to open up, my last aquisition with a spruce top got considerably louder in a few months of heavy use, including lots of deliberately heavy rest stroke scale practice and rasgueados.

guitarstudent

Post by guitarstudent » Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:48 pm

bones wrote:
guitarstudent wrote:
Vesuvio
Congrats from me too, a new instrument can be a real joy. You may not have to wait two years for the sound to open up, my last aquisition with a spruce top got considerably louder in a few months of heavy use, including lots of deliberately heavy rest stroke scale practice and rasgueados.
I am playing flamenco as well on it (minus the golpe) to help it open up. The action was a little high. I just gave the top nut about 10 strokes of sandpaper and now its perfect at that end. I will wait for s string change before doing the same on the saddle. I know some of you guys say only a luthier should do this job, but I have had lots of succes doing it myself. I just take a tiny amount and see how it all settles in, then if needed take a little more off.

I can't wait to hear what its like once played in. It is phenominal as it is now.

Phoenix

Post by Phoenix » Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:22 pm

Congrats again. I know that you have been selecting between Admira Teresa, Ramirez 4E, Ramirez AE and Raimundo 148. What was the main reason for your decision - Ramirez AE.
The sound of spruce top won against the sound of cedar top?

guitarstudent

Post by guitarstudent » Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:24 am

Hi Pheonix

Thankyou. I hope you are enjoying your affair with Teresa.

The Teresa is very good value and better than most (even a Rodriguez I tried at £800 was not anywhere near as good). I just was not happy with the G; it swells too quickly and peaks too soon then and drops off very quickly. My CG teacher says you have to spend at least £1000 to find a guitar that has a great sounding G and even balance across all the strings. After all the guitars I tried, I am inclined to agree.
However, after playing the Ramirez AE and Raimundo 148, it could not compete, whole different league. I would still recommend it to anyone looking for a guitar if they only had £500 to spend.

Normally my preference is Cedar, I like the dark sonorous sound. However, the AE and 148 surprised me by how dark they can be made to sound.

The 148 had the sweetest sound and was very mellow, almost like Cedar (it was a spruce top) with the best sustain.

The AE has a loud voice, with a full sound, and lovely string-to-string balance. I found it had a greater tonal palette than the 148, although the 148 has slightly better sustain. The trebles ring bell like, with clarity. The strings on the AE can blend and resonate while still leaving enough separation to hear each string express itself.

I tried an R4 which was very good, beautiful sound great sustain, even balance across the strings, and suprising brightess and clarity in the trebles for a cedar guitar, but again the tonal pallet was not as great as the AE, and it was a little lacking in volume and did not sound as full as the AE, probably due to its slightly smaller body. I thought the 148 was a better guitar overall. The R4 was exceptionally easy to play though.

It was a tough competition; in the end for me it was a 2 horse race, the 148 or the AE. The AE won, but all in all the AE, 148 and R4 were a clear head and shoulders above all the others I tried (I have only mentioned the ones I think worth mentioning). I could have tried more, I guess, but for me, the AE sold itself straight away, the process was just confirmation. I needed to be sure that I could not find anything better, or better value slightly drop in overall quality for big drop in price).

There is in the end no such thing as better, only what suits the individual. These are all my opinions bases on my preferences.

Return to “Luthiers”