Soundport Added To Finished Guitar

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
Allan

Soundport Added To Finished Guitar

Post by Allan » Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:06 pm

I had an experienced luthier add one soundport on the player side between the neck and shoulder curve to my Cervantes Master. Based on some research and a survey of luthiers, I requested a single 30mm size hole with rounded edges (this is the size now used and suggested to me by Fritz Mueller, the Canadian luthier). A 30mm Forstner bit was used to cut the port.

Results: very pleasing, at least to my ears. I had it done for the player's enhancement rather than any attempt at increasing volume for an audience. The guitar is loud enough as it is, but the added sound coming toward the left side of my head feels as though I've gone from mono to stereo sound. The entire instrument feels like it's vibrating more, so there's a pleasing increase in the tactile senses while holding and playing the instrument. And though I was a little worried about any effect there might be on the tone, the soundport seems in fact to enhance the depth and richness of the tone overall in a subtle, but very distinct way.

I like it. I have a maple/spruce that I'm going to drop off for the same minor surgery.

Has anyone else had this done? I'm wondering what the results were like for others?

Allan

Derry

Post by Derry » Fri Nov 10, 2006 4:31 am

Allan, how about posting a photo of the new port,,??

Allan

Post by Allan » Fri Nov 10, 2006 6:17 am

I haven't got a pic (or digital camera) handy, but it does look exactly like the soundport on this guitar as posted by Fritz Mueller on his classical guitar site. As I mentioned above, this is where I got the idea for this size port:

http://www.classicalguitars.ca/details.htm

Check it out--the entire site is actually quite interesting.

Allan

JQ.

Post by JQ. » Fri Nov 10, 2006 6:44 am

You had someone drill a hole into your (expensive) guitar?

<shudder>

Allan

Post by Allan » Fri Nov 10, 2006 4:09 pm

Calll it the year of living dangerously! But I had it done only after I tested many other expensive guitars (not mine) that had one or more soundports, and I always sensed there was a greater sound enhancement for the player. I think the real test is having it done on a guitar you're already very familiar with then being able to see the difference afterwards.

Allan

rtcricket

Post by rtcricket » Fri Nov 10, 2006 7:27 pm

Hi Allan,

I'm thinking of adding a port to one of my guitars too. Would you mind telling me the name of the luthier who did the work for you? I'd appreciate it very much.

Allan

Post by Allan » Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:40 pm

Hi Cricket,

The luthier who did the port for me is Michael Peters. Mike has a workshop in Playa del Rey (Los Angeles), and has made instruments for Scott Tennant. He's a cool guy to deal with, and very knowldgeable and skilled in his craft. You can get in touch with him easy, the info is on is website:

http://www.petersguitars.com/

If you get a port installed, let us know how you like it!

Best Wishes,

Allan

rtcricket

Post by rtcricket » Sat Nov 11, 2006 5:00 pm

Allan,

Thanks for the info. I will try to pay him a visit in the near future. I'm glad you like your added port.

Enjoy,

rtcricket

Return to “Luthiers”