UK Luthier Survey

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
josswinn

UK Luthier Survey

Post by josswinn » Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:46 pm

As some of you might have seen, I am conducting research into UK classical guitar makers, with a specific focus on the education, training, teaching and learning of lutherie and how this contributes to the continuation of a tradition of classical guitar-making in the UK.

There are different aspects to my research and one way to collect information about the education and experience of luthiers is via a survey.

If you make classical/flamenco/Spanish/nylon-string guitars in the UK, I would be grateful if you would complete the survey which will take about 10 minutes. You do not need to be a 'professional' luthier - in fact I am very interested in the role of 'amateur' luthiers, too. If you have made one or more classical guitars in the UK, then your input would be much appreciated.

I have a list (and corresponding map) of around 80 luthiers who I will contact directly about the survey in September, but wanted to begin by posting the link to the survey on this forum and perhaps reach makers who I am not yet aware of, or who consider themselves amateurs and do not publicise their work widely.

You can read more about the research here.

Go to the survey here.

Please feel free to ask questions or provide comments about the survey in this thread or send me a private message. It should be clear that you do not need to answer any question you do not wish to and you do not not need to give your name if you do not wish to. There is also the option of indicating if you are available for interview as a follow up to the survey.

All data will be held securely, treated confidentially, and responses will be anonymised and reported in aggregate form. Should I consider it beneficial and of interest to refer to named individuals when writing up the research, I will seek their permission first. The research has ethical approval from my university.

Thank you!
Joss Winn

Richwilly

Re: UK Luthier Survey

Post by Richwilly » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:33 pm

Good work here Joss. I just used the map to find a luthier local to me to do some work on my rather tired work guitar.

Many thanks
Richard

Return to “Luthiers”