New guitar. Need help.

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
staw

New guitar. Need help.

Post by staw » Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:23 pm

Hello everyone.
I need some help with buying a new guitar. My budget is about 2200-2500 $. The main chose will be between these models: http://www.gitarren.se/sortiment/sort_git-nyl.html
I have played few of them and I liked Asturias PRELUDE. Do you think it is a good(best) chose in this price range ?

guitarstudent

Post by guitarstudent » Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:42 am

Is that USD?

Try a Ramirez AE and compare it to the R4, and wonder how it can be cheaper, when it is so much better.

staw

Post by staw » Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:29 pm

guitarstudent wrote:Is that USD?

Try a Ramirez AE and compare it to the R4, and wonder how it can be cheaper, when it is so much better.
No :) It is swedish krones.
Thanks for advice. As I understood-Ramirez R4 has top CEDAR ? I actually prefer SPRUCE because of attack in sound. Is there any more SPRUCE models in this price range that could be worth to look at?

MickeyD

Choosing a Guitar

Post by MickeyD » Fri Nov 17, 2006 4:07 pm

As far as I can understand, the current exchange rate on the Swedish Krone is about 7 to 1 on the dollar.
That means 2100 Krones is about $300 dollars. So your budget is somewhere between $300 and $350.

You should be able to find a playable instrument that gives you enjoyment and satisfaction for that amount. Remember that well-advertised guitar companies pay extra for the advertising.

On the issue of Spruce v. Cedar: Wood is not the only factor in a guitar´s sound. The design of the instrument is also important. How the guitar has been built and braced, as well as the aging of the wood are also important factors.

My best advice is to spend a day playing the different instruments you´re interested in. Select the guitar that speaks to you personally. If you plan on spending a long time with a particular model, choose it as if it were a life companion.

See that the guitar speaks to you, but not harshly, that it sings when you want and is quiet when it should be. The closer personal relationship you have with the guitar, the better sound you will get.

MickeyD

staw

Re: Choosing a Guitar

Post by staw » Fri Nov 17, 2006 7:36 pm

MickeyD wrote:As far as I can understand, the current exchange rate on the Swedish Krone is about 7 to 1 on the dollar.
That means 2100 Krones is about $300 dollars. So your budget is somewhere between $300 and $350.

You should be able to find a playable instrument that gives you enjoyment and satisfaction for that amount. Remember that well-advertised guitar companies pay extra for the advertising.

On the issue of Spruce v. Cedar: Wood is not the only factor in a guitar´s sound. The design of the instrument is also important. How the guitar has been built and braced, as well as the aging of the wood are also important factors.

My best advice is to spend a day playing the different instruments you´re interested in. Select the guitar that speaks to you personally. If you plan on spending a long time with a particular model, choose it as if it were a life companion.

See that the guitar speaks to you, but not harshly, that it sings when you want and is quiet when it should be. The closer personal relationship you have with the guitar, the better sound you will get.

MickeyD
You are right about 7swedish kr=1 USD. But my budhet is 2200-2500 $USD(not krones). So I hope that is it possible to find a good guitar for that money, but I have to make a right chose too....
By the way-is ti possible to find a good Paulino Bernabé guitar in that price range ? I didn't heard any good/bad about his guitars, but I have a possibulity to go and test some. Can onyone recomend or don't recomend his guitars ?

bones

Re: Choosing a Guitar

Post by bones » Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:26 pm

staw wrote:
MickeyD wrote:As far as I can understand, the current exchange rate on the Swedish Krone is about 7 to 1 on the dollar.

MickeyD
You are right about 7swedish kr=1 USD. But my budhet is 2200-2500 $USD(not krones). So I hope that is it possible to find a good guitar for that money, but I have to make a right chose too....
By the way-is ti possible to find a good Paulino Bernabé guitar in that price range ? I didn't heard any good/bad about his guitars, but I have a possibulity to go and test some. Can onyone recomend or don't recomend his guitars ?
I have two students with older luthier model Bernabes both are excellent instruments. Don't buy on price although I appreciate you have a budget limit, buy on playability and sound, try to get a used luthier instrument rather than a new factory made guitar if you can.

Pepe Vergara

Post by Pepe Vergara » Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:18 pm

staw wrote: ... I actually prefer SPRUCE because of attack in sound. ...
Can you expand a little bit more on this?

staw

Post by staw » Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:30 pm

pepe wrote:
staw wrote: ... I actually prefer SPRUCE because of attack in sound. ...
Can you expand a little bit more on this?
Well, I can't just axplain it in words.... I just tryed and compared SPRUCE and CEDAR....And it feels for me that you can get more clear sound with SPRUCE....A'm I wrong ? :roll:
I have two students with older luthier model Bernabes both are excellent instruments. Don't buy on price although I appreciate you have a budget limit, buy on playability and sound, try to get a used luthier instrument rather than a new factory made guitar if you can.
Well-one luthier in sweden have a Manuel Bellido guitar to sale. It is all renewed by him and the price on this guitar is almoust the same as ASTURIAS PRELUDE. Does anyone head anything about Manuel Bellido guitars ?

Pepe Vergara

Post by Pepe Vergara » Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:37 pm

I was at his shop in Granada last month. Manuel may already be retired or semiretired. His son Jesus Bellido is in charge of the place. I do not know how many guitars he makes or how makes them for him. The thing is that Manuel Bellido and his brother Jose Antonio Bellido (also in Granada) have a very good reputation for the gutiars they build. Manuel (or Jesus) have a very nice store in the Granada downtown. He has beutiful gutiars there. He also sells music, books, etc.

guitarstudent

Post by guitarstudent » Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:30 am

staw wrote:
guitarstudent wrote:Is that USD?

No :) It is swedish krones.
Thanks for advice. As I understood-Ramirez R4 has top CEDAR ? I actually prefer SPRUCE because of attack in sound. Is there any more SPRUCE models in this price range that could be worth to look at?
Ramirez AE is SPRUCE, I have one, superb in every way.
I have played R4, and was amazed by the clarity and brightness of the trebles, its deep mellow warmth could not stop them from cutting through.

Return to “Luthiers”