Jean-Luc Joie wins award for innovation achievements

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
ben etow

Re: Jean-Luc Joie wins award for innovation achievements

Post by ben etow » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:25 am

Guero wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:42 am
I slowly come to the point to believe in a conspiracy of keeping CG players as dumb as we already are :D .
Just call it tradition...
Tradition is OK, but if you can have the best of both worlds... :mrgreen:
It is precisely what Jean-Luc is doing.

SteveL123

Post by SteveL123 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:55 pm

Steve Ganz wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 5:52 pm
I have some personal experience looking inside Thibault Cauvin's Joie in my shop (when he stayed at my place) about 2006 give or take a year. No typical braces. The inside of the top was covered with a fabric, possibly silk, saturated with a resin or glue. The guitar may have been a prototype, I don't know about the maturity of the design and use of materials. I recall that much more of the top was covered in the fabric than the oval patch shown in other pictures.

I know that years before I had already built a guitar with no braces. My friend a local luthier Dake had done that years before me.

As to the sound of Tibo's guitar, I'd say it was pretty dry, not super loud, but certainly loud enough. Tibo needs a guitar that has excellent articulation and I think this guitar fit the bill for him at the time. I like the sound better than the smallman that I have heard him play other times. Sound preference is a matter of taste and conditioning for the listener.
Steve, do you have notes on whether Thibault Cauvin's Joie was domed or not and if so, how much of a dome?

How did the guitar you and Dake built w/o braces sound and fared in the long run? Why did you not continue to pursue it?

ben etow

Post by ben etow » Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:02 pm

Steve Ganz wrote:
I have some personal experience looking inside Thibault Cauvin's Joie in my shop (when he stayed at my place) about 2006 give or take a year. No typical braces. The inside of the top was covered with a fabric, possibly silk, saturated with a resin or glue. The guitar may have been a prototype, I don't know about the maturity of the design and use of materials. I recall that much more of the top was covered in the fabric than the oval patch shown in other pictures.

(...)

As to the sound of Tibo's guitar, I'd say it was pretty dry, not super loud, but certainly loud enough. Tibo needs a guitar that has excellent articulation and I think this guitar fit the bill for him at the time. I like the sound better than the smallman that I have heard him play other times. Sound preference is a matter of taste and conditioning for the listener.
Hi Steve,

I tried this very guitar (it was a spruce top, right?) dating probably from the beginning of 2006 as it was made just before my wife's 640 cedar topped Joie.
It was not a prototype but this design was recent at the time. Far better than Thibault's Smallman I also tried (and heard in the competition he won in Torrent, Spain).

Be advised that the new heelless design is 2 generations ahead of Thibault's 2006 Joie... I think Thibault got a least two Joie after that one (both cedar-topped).
The last one (not yet the last heelless design), as long as my 630 cedar-topped Joie from 2015 sound anything but dry. Both can be amplified BTW...
Last edited by ben etow on Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Steve Ganz
Luthier

Post by Steve Ganz » Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:54 pm

SteveL123 wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:55 pm
Steve Ganz wrote:

I know that years before I had already built a guitar with no braces. My friend a local luthier Dake had done that years before me.

Steve, do you have notes on whether Thibault Cauvin's Joie was domed or not and if so, how much of a dome?

How did the guitar you and Dake built w/o braces sound and fared in the long run? Why did you not continue to pursue it?
I think Dake's sounded good, it was in his shop for several years without problems before he re-topped it and sold it.
The one (2002) I built is still in use in Arizona. It's documented here http://ganzguitars.com/wp/experimental-8-spare-partita/
I don't recall the doming of the Joie.
Steve

Steve Ganz
Luthier

Post by Steve Ganz » Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:57 pm

ben etow wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:02 pm
Steve Ganz wrote:

(...)

Hi Steve,

I tried this very guitar (it was a spruce top, right?) dating probably from the beginning of 2006 as it was made just before my fife's 640 cedar topped Joie.
It was not a prototype but this design was recent at the time. Far better than Thibault's Smallman I also tried (and heard in the competition he won in Torrent, Spain).

Be advised that the new heelless design is 2 generations ahead of Thibault's 2006 Joie... I think Thibault got a least two Joie after that one (both cedar-topped).
The last one (not yet the last heelless design), as long as my 630 cedar-topped Joie from 2015 sound anything but dry. Both can be amplified BTW...
Yes Ben, it was spruce. We have a connection via that guitar then ! :) That is a nice little addition to our connection via Delcamp
Steve

ben etow

Post by ben etow » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:15 am

A nice connection indeed - the guitar is nice, the owner is nice, and obviously Delcamp too...

Return to “Luthiers”