Travel classical/ nylon string guitar

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
Marquezdl

Travel classical/ nylon string guitar

Post by Marquezdl » Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:57 pm

I am looking for a suitable travel guitar. I am a fairly mediocre classical guitarist, but pushing 70 I get a great deal of pleasure out of butchering Bach, Barrios, and Brouwer. What I am looking for is something that is appreciably smaller and more durable than my Robert Webster or my replica of an 1816 Martinez. The Martinez is approximately the right size, but I doubt its ability to stand up to hard travel, and the roughly 45 mm nut width really bothers me a bit.
I have looked arround, and the 2 guitars that keep popping up seem to be the Blackbird rider nylon string (carbon fiber) and the Romero parlor guitar.
The Romero is more the size I would like, but I am pretty sure that the Blackbird would definitely be the most durable and travel worthy although a bit larger than I would like. I need a guitar I can strap on my touring bicycle for multiweek bicycle tours, and take with me to South America in the winter. Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions, observations?
My one idea about the Romero would be to buy a goretex waterproof cover if anyone makes such a thing.
I have no objection to carbon fiber, so its really about tone-size-durability-playability-travelworthiness
Thanks in advance
Last edited by Marquezdl on Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

printer2

Re: Travel classical/ nylon string gutar

Post by printer2 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:09 am

What is the lower bout width of the 1816 Martinez? I mostly gave away a similar sized guitar this Christmas and kind of miss it.
Fred

Dofpic

Post by Dofpic » Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:15 am

I would look at either the Soloette or the Yamaha travel guitar.
2006 Greg Byers(fan)2009 Eric Monrad(maple) 2018 Simon Ambridge Model 40 Satinwood. 2003 Tacchi Simplcio satinwood 2017 E. Bottelli 52 Hauser, 2002 Jeff Elliott spruce, 2017 Richard Reynoso, spruce/maple, 2015 Herman Hauser III(Cedar)2005 Tacchi Coclea

Marquezdl

Post by Marquezdl » Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:17 pm

The electronic travel guitars do not appeal to me. If batteries, headphones, amplifiers, or AC is needed I have no interest. I prefer an acoustic.

andreas777

Post by andreas777 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:39 pm

What about a classical guitar with detachable neck?
Happiness is when what you think what you say and what you do are in harmony.

Marquezdl

Re: Travel classical/ nylon string guitar

Post by Marquezdl » Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:45 pm

Sorry about the spelling errors! I have the very devil of a time with typing on my iPad

Marquezdl

Post by Marquezdl » Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:46 pm

andreas777 wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:39 pm
What about a classical guitar with detachable neck?
I would certainly be willing to investigate the instrument(s) in question.

andreas777

Post by andreas777 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:48 pm

Have you seen my travel guitar...?
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=108803&start=18

Tonit

Post by Tonit » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:20 pm

Hi,
I have been on the same page with you in terms of electric/pure acoustic. I mean I would rather travel without any electric piezo CG and procure something good enough at the destination to give it away when leaving.

But today an Ad showed up on my FB about MOOV guitars that might change my mind, given it's collapsible size of 38cm.

And there is one CG performance on the guitar on YouTube:

But most probably I wouldn't, as I have to tap the body for flamenco.

Marquezdl

Post by Marquezdl » Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:16 pm

andreas777 wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:48 pm
Very interesting! I would definitely like to find out more! One question I have is this: I would be installing and removing the neck on a daily basis while traveling....I wonder how well in tune the guitar is for the first 12 hours or so after assembly?
How well would it stand up to daily assembly/disassembly for weeks at a stretch?

Marquezdl

Post by Marquezdl » Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:19 pm

Tonit wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:20 pm
Hi,
I have been on the same page with you in terms of electric/pure acoustic. I mean I would rather travel without any electric piezo CG and procure something good enough at the destination to give it away when leaving.

But today an Ad showed up on my FB about MOOV guitars that might change my mind, given it's collapsible size of 38cm.

And there is one CG performance on the guitar on YouTube:

But most probably I wouldn't, as I have to tap the body for flamenco.
Sorry, its an interesting concept, but as I mentioned above, I am interested only in acoustic instruments for a number of reasons. I did my time messing with batteries, headphones, cables, amps, tone modifiers, etc. No longer have any interest whatsoever in any of that for me personally.

Tonit

Post by Tonit » Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:02 pm

Marquezdl wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:19 pm
Sorry, its an interesting concept, but as I mentioned above, I am interested only in acoustic instruments for a number of reasons. I did my time messing with batteries, headphones, cables, amps, tone modifiers, etc. No longer have any interest whatsoever in any of that for me personally.
I am sorry for the irrelevancy. If I could say anything about fully acoustic travel guitars, they are all compromises at the end of the day when they are purchased not as their special kind of instruments but specifically for traveling. What I am saying by that is, when the box is altered in any way, that should affect its tone and sonority, or the neck has been connected with the body in some different ways from the non-travel guitars. There is also a lot of getting used to involved in terms of their play-ability. I am talking from my own experience with some travel/parlor guitars, including a Kurosawa Gigpacker that I had for a few years in my mid 20s.

With a special hard case it was the handiest nylon strung guitar I ever had, and liked it a lot but none compared to regular CGs. It was simply a different animal. Among the parlor guitars that I have tried or owned (just one, no brand label), some of them were nice and lovable but only as a different kind of instruments IMPO. Besides, their sizes are not so much for traveling, and more or less the same as the regular sized classicals compared to some instruments from 1960s or 70s which also sound different from today's classical guitars mainly because of the slightly smaller box sizes.

I also currently own a Godin Duet Nylon from the 90s. It's been more than two decades but its acoustic sonority is nothing comparable to regular CGs. I am mentioning it only because the neck is detachable and so it barely fits in a checked in luggage. After all, I am currently on the go with a regular flamenco guitar on which I could also play classical, as well as a locally procured Rafael Mervi Molina which was picked up from a rubbish pile and sounds OK after some minor adjustments.

I hope this helps you.

paskin

Post by paskin » Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:14 pm

That Moov travel guitar looks awesome, thanks for sharing! I recently bought a FrameWorks pracStick and my main complaint is the lack of body depth leading to unnatural positioning. It looks like the Moov's upper bout attachment would address that.

SteveL123

Post by SteveL123 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:19 pm

Another option is the Martin Backpacker nylon which has only 15 frets per this video . If you can live with that and its sound, it is available between $230 to $270 new. Try to play one first before buying it so there won't be any regrets. If acceptable to your ears, I'd suggest looking for a good used one. You may find a deal if you look long enough.

andreas777

Post by andreas777 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:27 pm

Marquezdl wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:16 pm
andreas777 wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:48 pm
Very interesting! I would definitely like to find out more! One question I have is this: I would be installing and removing the neck on a daily basis while traveling....I wonder how well in tune the guitar is for the first 12 hours or so after assembly?
How well would it stand up to daily assembly/disassembly for weeks at a stretch?
I assemble my travel guitar only once at the beginning of a trip and disassemble it at the end of the trip before I fly back. I think the guitar and the screw is robust enough to survive a daily assembly/disassembly, but of course it would cause a daily effort to put on the strings. In my opinion the question how well the guitar is in tune for the first 12 hours only depends on the strings and is independent on the assembly/disassembly mechanism. New La Bella 2001 strings need less time to stay in tune than for example my Daddario strings, so if you use La Bella 2001 strings that are one week old then it should only take a relative short time after you assembled the guitar and put on the (old) strings until they stay in tune.

Return to “Luthiers”