ernandez Mk-III

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
ernandez R

ernandez Mk-III

Post by ernandez R » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:06 am

Wrote up a nice thread starter about my next build but it went away.

Think I'll just post some photos for starters.

Enjoy,

HR
image.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I hate sanding wood or anything else for that matter I just happen to be good at it...

Christopher Langley
Student of the online lessons

Re: ernandez Mk-III

Post by Christopher Langley » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:42 am

Subscribed!
Studying Jazz and Blues now.. So it goes friends. I might make a return to Classical at some point.

ernandez R

Post by ernandez R » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:48 am

image.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I hate sanding wood or anything else for that matter I just happen to be good at it...

ernandez R

Post by ernandez R » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:49 am

image.jpeg

ernandez R

Post by ernandez R » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:56 am

Added my tail and neck blocks, top kerfing, then trimmed the bottom angle.

I trimmed the bottom angle on the table saw. Don't try this at home boys and girls. Sanded the bottom edge up nice and back in the rack for the bottom kerfing. Thought I had made enough kerfing for the whole show but only enough for half.

Of ya, in case it isn't obvious I am make three at a go. I wrote up a who led build starter post but it went away before I could post. I'll re write it some day.

I'm putting this device away so I can jump on the Mk-I, I keep it with the low E a D, and make some good noise!

HR

ernandez R

Post by ernandez R » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:46 am

Added the bottom kerfing and the side braces, heard them called Popsicle sticks on another building forum.

Trued up the top sides of all three then worked the bevel on one cause i am using a slight 1.5 mm dome on the top.

Two of the bodies came out nice but one is a little un-true thinking she will be fine in my jig once all is glued up.

Read somewhere that Torres glued the braces to the sides before adding to the top and bottom. I did the same on the bottom of my Mk-II. I will be doing all four that way on these. Sure makes a lot more sense from an assembly point of view...

HR
image.jpeg

ernandez R

Post by ernandez R » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:18 am

Made a simple downdraft sanding table for tops, bottoms and side wood. The angle and higth are perfect. I can tell when the wood is getting even as the suction holds it in place. My resawing band saw is a little rough. I had glued up three tops and bottoms so I was grinding a way for some time to get them trued up today.

Also made up a quick thickness gage. I saw something a lot less scientific on another guitar building site last week and thought the idea could use some help. This will accurately indicate less then a quarter of a millimeter. I just need a general idea what my thicknesses are. More for consistency then having the actual thickness to three decimal places.

HR
image.jpeg

Christopher Langley

Post by Christopher Langley » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:20 am

Looking good!
Studying Jazz and Blues now.. So it goes friends. I might make a return to Classical at some point.

ernandez R

Post by ernandez R » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:26 am

This has got to be the most Zen part of building a guitar:
image.jpeg
On my first one I used a router etc and I didn't care for it. Instead I made a set of circle slicers and cleaned it out with a small chisel I ground and polished from the tang end of a small file. I'm a big fan of power tools but feel this is best done the old fashioned way. When I was doing the hole cutout on the Mk-II top I ended up holding the cutter and spinning the topwood, you know just like in the Bros. video.

HR

ernandez R

Post by ernandez R » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:28 am

Took a couple better photos of my thickness tool for a different thread.

image.jpeg

Christopher Langley

Post by Christopher Langley » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:54 am

Looking very nice,

What woods are you using?

ernandez R

Post by ernandez R » Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:14 am

Tops are Black Spruce grown locally and harvested 25-40 years ago. The sides and backs are Trembling Aspin which is a kind of poplar. For the neck I used the aspin on one and then locally grown birch. Cut out of a piece of fire wood we had dilevered six years ago and it was supposed to have been seasoned two to three years before we had it dropped off. Fretboard and headstock vanier is from an oak shipping pallet leg. I made the bridges out of hickory. All I know about the hickory is it arrived here about thirty years ago but I don't think it grows in Alaska.

My goal is to use locally grown wood.

That being said I was gifted a short piece of black walnut and might use it for the bridge, headstock vaneer, and some other details on the Mk-III guitars. Still playing with ideas in my head.

I did get the sound hole roserrie grooves cut and two filled with a strip of birch and a strip of hickory on each side. Each about .035" thick.

HR
image.jpeg

Christopher Langley

Post by Christopher Langley » Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:22 am

Awesome!

ernandez R

Post by ernandez R » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:17 pm

image.jpeg
Can't have a guitar building shop without a name and label.

I have been mocking that I will need to give my first ten guitars away to family and friends, then ones who don't know any better. I can see my sister placing a small potted plant in the sound hole!

I've actlluy had a few interests in purchasing one but I told them to hold on a year or so until I have dozen or so under my belt.

Working up the Mk-III my main goal is to focus in the side linings and top/bottom brace junctures. Fine tuning my neck agle is high on the list. My first build came out vary close 1-2mm close 14.5mm off the top at the saddle. Was aiming for 13mm. On the second one, well let's just say we could limbo under the strings, I'll need to pull frets and angle the fretboard.

HR

Christopher Langley

Post by Christopher Langley » Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:01 am

Nice label!

Love that unfinished look! How does it sound?

Return to “Luthiers”