New Giovanni Tacchi - hommage to Daniel Friederich

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
ivan

Re: New Giovanni Tacchi - hommage to Daniel Friederich

Post by ivan » Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:36 pm

Frederich wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:27 pm
Beutiful guitar! Very inspiring. All those posts made me think to start another Friedrich inspired, not copy guitar. It might be the last one since this is my last rosette of this kind.
That is a beautiful rosette work, Frederich.

Frederich

Post by Frederich » Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:54 pm

Thanks, Ivan.

ivan

Post by ivan » Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:48 pm

Hello Delcamp friends.

Few updates!!

All comments and questions are most welcome.

Have a great weekend..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Gregory

Post by Gregory » Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:55 pm

It is an elegant guitar!!but I have a question..back and sides are wenge?

ivan

Post by ivan » Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:36 pm

Yes Gregory, it is Wenge. We decide to use Wenge for 2 reasons

1. It is Tacchi's favorite wood. On Andrea's coclea model, i have tried one with Brazilian, another one with Indian, and my own coclea with wenge. The Braz and Indian are both far less impressive than my wenge guitar. I'm not sure if it has something related with the Wenge, but it seems Andrea and Giovanni build very confidently with this wood. So i agree to use it as i want the best possible sound. The sound quality is always be my top priority.

2. CITES reason. I don't know if it is only happen in my country, but even the shipping courier like Fedex or DHL are asking for the CITES when receiving a guitar. Plus the legal custom department will also ask for CITES, Phytosanitary certificate, etc etc. It will give me lots of problems and cost me lots of money.

Gregory

Post by Gregory » Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:30 pm

Thank you ivan about the informations!if it is not problem you can say me what kind of wood is the bindings?i I can't separate.

Arash Ahmadi

Post by Arash Ahmadi » Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:50 pm

Neat! As far as I know wenge makes the sound a bit darker. I guess wenge goes better with cedar. It'd be nice to hear this guitar once you have it.
Becoming a great musician is about becoming a great human being.

"The duty of an artist is to take a demon and deliver an angel" (Dr. Elahi Ghomshei)

ivan

Post by ivan » Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:38 pm

Gregory wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:30 pm
Thank you ivan about the informations!if it is not problem you can say me what kind of wood is the bindings?i I can't separate.
Gregory,
I don't know about the wood he use for bindings yet. I will ask him later :D

ivan

Post by ivan » Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:50 pm

Arash Ahmadi wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:50 pm
Neat! As far as I know wenge makes the sound a bit darker. I guess wenge goes better with cedar. It'd be nice to hear this guitar once you have it.
Yes Arash, his craftmansip is very clean and neat. Andrea once show me a video on Friederich's workshop and told me a story about Daniel Friederich itself. On his later stage of his career, few years before his retirement, Friederich's craftmanship has become extremely neat and precise even though he is already very old. I guess Giovanni build this instrument in the same spirit of perfection like the original DF guitar.

About the wenge and darker sound,
I have listen to an original DF from late 1980's which sound exttemely dark (almost like Matthias Dammann guitar) which i didn't really like. So Giovanni told me that he build this instrument based on 2008 DF which sounds brighter and crispier, with richer overtones.
So i hope the wenge won't make it sounds too dark. Haha :D

souldier

Post by souldier » Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:37 am

Wenge has a glassy tap tone like BRW. That could make a subtle difference, but in the end it is really just depends on the luthier's expertise.
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

zupfgeiger

Post by zupfgeiger » Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:46 am

ivan wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:36 pm

1. It is Tacchi's favorite wood. On Andrea's coclea model, i have tried one with Brazilian, another one with Indian, and my own coclea with wenge. The Braz and Indian are both far less impressive than my wenge guitar. I'm not sure if it has something related with the Wenge, but it seems Andrea and Giovanni build very confidently with this wood. So i agree to use it as i want the best possible sound. The sound quality is always be my top priority.

2. CITES reason. I don't know if it is only happen in my country, but even the shipping courier like Fedex or DHL are asking for the CITES when receiving a guitar. Plus the legal custom department will also ask for CITES, Phytosanitary certificate, etc etc. It will give me lots of problems and cost me lots of money.
ivan, you are absolutely right concerning Andrea's confidence into the acoustic properties of Wenge. All Tacchi Wenge guitars I played were instruments with huge tone volume and resonance. But...last year I had the pleasure to play his famous 900cento guitar, a special Coclea Thucea he built together with Giovanni over some years (definitely not for sale). I not only played it in the workshop, but Andrea was kind enough to lend it to me over night, and I had the opportunity to play it extensively in my hotel room. I completely fell in love with the tone of this guitar which is fitted with Amazon rosewood, a very hard wood too, as Wenge. And the looks: just gorgeous. Hope to get one in the not too far future with back and sides cut from the same chunk. It's a very light coloured piece of wood. Visually and acoustically it will fit very good with the cedar top I opt for. No Thucea - and no additional sound holes. Just not my cup of tea. And the rosette will not be as fancy as the 900cento. More traditional style.
Fritz Ober, Torres/Hauser model, 2010, spruce/maple
Giovanni Tacchi, Bouchet model, spruce/BRAZ, 2018

ivan

Post by ivan » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:54 am

souldier wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:37 am
Wenge has a glassy tap tone like BRW. That could make a subtle difference, but in the end it is really just depends on the luthier's expertise.
Absolutely agree, souldier.
The biggest factor is how the luthier constructing and adjusting each component.
Even the best quality wood will turns out to be a mediocre guitar if it is built by mediocre hands.

ivan

Post by ivan » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:01 am

zupfgeiger wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:46 am
ivan wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:36 pm

ivan, you are absolutely right concerning Andrea's confidence into the acoustic properties of Wenge. All Tacchi Wenge guitars I played were instruments with huge tone volume and resonance. But...last year I had the pleasure to play his famous 900cento guitar, a special Coclea Thucea he built together with Giovanni over some years (definitely not for sale). I not only played it in the workshop, but Andrea was kind enough to lend it to me over night, and I had the opportunity to play it extensively in my hotel room. I completely fell in love with the tone of this guitar which is fitted with Amazon rosewood, a very hard wood too, as Wenge. And the looks: just gorgeous. Hope to get one in the not too far future with back and sides cut from the same chunk. It's a very light coloured piece of wood. Visually and acoustically it will fit very good with the cedar top I opt for. No Thucea - and no additional sound holes. Just not my cup of tea. And the rosette will not be as fancy as the 900cento. More traditional style.
Congratulations for you new future cedar Coclea, Michael.
I'm totally with you about your more traditional taste. I will also ask for a more traditional aesthetic design for my future coclea (all spruce thucea) as I already have a fancy one on my Thucea. Haha :D

I will make a note about the Amazonian Rosewood and consult about about using this wood with Andrea. My top priority is always about the sound.
Last edited by ivan on Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

quixilver

Post by quixilver » Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:52 pm

ivan wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:48 pm
Hello Delcamp friends.

Few updates!!

Have a great weekend..
Looking great maestro Ivan!
Can't wait to sit down and listen to you playing this new guitar.
"After food, air and water, classical guitar is the next necessity of life."

1988 Kazuo Sato | 2005 Tobias Berg | 2007 Rolf Eichinger | 2014 Alexandru Marian | 2015 Christoph Sembdner | 2015 Antonio Raya Ferrer | 2016 Masaki Sakurai P.C.

ivan

Post by ivan » Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:09 pm

quixilver wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:52 pm
ivan wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:48 pm
Hello Delcamp friends.

Few updates!!

Have a great weekend..
Looking great maestro Ivan!
Can't wait to sit down and listen to you playing this new guitar.
Bring your new Sato as well. I want to try. Hahahaha :lol:

Return to “Luthiers”