Strong wood smell coming out of the sound hole

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
ElPolaco

Strong wood smell coming out of the sound hole

Post by ElPolaco » Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:08 pm

I just bought a second hand Barnabe Modelo 10 (2011) and I'm very happy with it, except that I noticed a rather strong smell of wood coming out of the sound hole. It smells just like cut wood, eg., wood shavings. It's a bit distracting when I get a whiff. It's quite strong when I stick my nose near the sound hole but I can still smell it a bit when I'm playing it. Is this normal, will it last and is there a way of dealing with it? Thanks

Jasonm

Re: Strong wood smell coming out of the sound hole

Post by Jasonm » Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:46 pm

One of the best fragrances in life. Enjoy it while it last. I’ve always found a guitars smell will diminish after a while. Might not hurt to look in the guitar with a inspection mirror to see if any recent repairs have been made

Kent

Post by Kent » Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:30 pm

A wonderful problem.

Keith

Post by Keith » Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:32 pm

Has it been humid in your living environment for a few days and now the humidity is going down? Often times when wood sucks up moisture and releases it via lower humidity the aroma is more pronounced. I would not worry about the aroma and would enjoy it unless there are actual wood shavings in the guitar.
be true to the one you love but have many flings with different guitars

guitarras en la espiritu de la:
Marcelo Barbero
Jose Ramirez III

Amy Gaudia

Post by Amy Gaudia » Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:40 pm

My new Dominelli has the smell of the wood used for the bracing or whatever it is on the inside, and I LOVE it. Everyday I pick it up and take a sniff before playing.
1992 Martin 00016
2016 Pono ULN-30 (nylon string Terz guitar)
2019 Marcus Dominelli custom small body
https://youtu.be/8-tXOXd8gco

ElPolaco

Post by ElPolaco » Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:47 pm

Keith wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:32 pm
Has it been humid in your living environment for a few days and now the humidity is going down? Often times when wood sucks up moisture and releases it via lower humidity the aroma is more pronounced. I would not worry about the aroma and would enjoy it unless there are actual wood shavings in the guitar.
Yes that's right. It's been raining for a few days. I guess that must be the cause.

ElPolaco

Post by ElPolaco » Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:49 pm

Kent wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:30 pm
A wonderful problem.
It might seem like that, but actually its not a soft wood smell but rather somewhat pungent, sort of like having the wood shavings rubbed in your nose.

ElPolaco

Post by ElPolaco » Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:54 pm

Jasonm wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:46 pm
One of the best fragrances in life. Enjoy it while it last. I’ve always found a guitars smell will diminish after a while. Might not hurt to look in the guitar with a inspection mirror to see if any recent repairs have been made
Actually I got the guitar as a really good deal, like half price of a new guitar, because it has some aesthetic damage and there was still some surface gunk, so unlikely that there's been any work done. Judging by the state of the strings and dust it's been sitting in its case for quite a while.

RedCliff

Post by RedCliff » Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:33 pm

I think your guitar may be made of wood 😉
Giles Ratcliffe
Sheffield
England

Chuah Hui Hsien

Post by Chuah Hui Hsien » Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:46 pm

What type of wood is on your back and sides?

The Indian rosewoods' fragrance were more pronounced when I bought them new, they lasted for years. I didn't notice much about the newly made guitar maple's smell.

Wood has its own distinctive fragrance, like sandalwood.
2017 Karel Dedain Spruce/Maple (Torres) 64cm
1998 Yamaha GD 10, Spruce/IRW 65cm
1988 Alhambra AL 8, Cedar/IRW 65cm

souldier

Post by souldier » Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:17 pm

I wonder what kind of wood you are smelling that would make it that strong and unpleasant? Personally I love the smell of wood every time I open a guitar case. In reality, the smell will actually never go away. If you leave it out of the case, it can make the smell less concentrated, but once you put it back in the case for a substantial time, it will revive the smell. Even a 50 year old guitar can emit the smell of wood, depending on which woods are used.
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

Beowulf

Post by Beowulf » Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:25 pm

Strength of smells is a very subjective experience, in that strong to one person is mild to another. My 45 year old guitar has a faint smell of the case from the sound hole (Brazilian Rosewood); my 18m month old guitar has the pleasant aroma of Madagascar Rosewood. At least that is the experience through these aging nostrils... :)
1971 Yamaha GC-10 (Hideyuki Ezaki)
2017 Yamaha GC82S (Akio Naniki/Naohiro Kawashima)

ElPolaco

Post by ElPolaco » Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:20 pm

RedCliff wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:33 pm
I think your guitar may be made of wood 😉
News to me. I thought only the cheap ones are wood whereas the professional ones are carbon fibre or something. I got robbed!

theknowle

Post by theknowle » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:42 pm

Jasonm wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:46 pm
My 1965 Conde still has the smell of the cedar heel/neck permeating from the sound hole. Incredible after more than 50 years. It inspires me to try to make the instrument sound like when I was young!

Jasonm

Post by Jasonm » Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:45 pm

Spanish cedar from the heel block or braces is usually the smell everyone loves but it can be a bit peppery when strong.

Indian rosewood smells like Apples and a stable full of horses on farm. To me,anyway. Lol!

Return to “Luthiers”