30000 years old wood

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
F (i Li) P

30000 years old wood

Post by F (i Li) P » Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:24 pm

have you heard about this wood discovered in some marshy swamps in New Zeeland?... It seems that whole trees have been perfectly preserved in the mud and they've been carbon dated to 30000-50000 years old... I'm just wondering... what tone would a guitar made from some of that wood have?... or anything else special?...

Vesuvio

Post by Vesuvio » Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:54 pm

Hello F (i Li) P,

This sounds interesting. Is it a recent discovery?

I'm not sure about making a guitar from ancient wood recovered from a swamp!

Best wishes, V :wink:
"There are only two things worth aiming for, good music and a clean conscience." Paul Hindemith

GuitarTim

Post by GuitarTim » Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:37 pm

On a related note, here in North America there is at least one company recovering vintage logs from the Great Lakes, this wood being over 100 years old. These were logs that sank during logging operations, when they used to transport them by floating them down-river to the mills. The logs are hundreds of feet deep in very cold water, which apparently preserves them. The wood is mainly pine and maple, I think, and is being milled for use in making fine furniture and musical instruments. What I remember from the article is that this wood is very different in character from most modern wood, the trees having been old-growth and grown under different environmental conditions than exist today, which means the wood is much denser and of a much higher quality. At least that's what I read...

Vesuvio

Post by Vesuvio » Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:06 pm

Hello Tim,

That is interesting! Maybe F (i Li) P is on the right track—I wonder what the growing conditions were in NZ that long ago?

Best regards, V :)
"There are only two things worth aiming for, good music and a clean conscience." Paul Hindemith

Derry

Post by Derry » Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:29 pm

the wood Tim was referring to was actually being auctioned off as the demand was going to far outstrip the supply,,

I saw a few photos of the wood and the growth rings were close and even with no flaws,, sure don't see anything like that now days,, many of the top furniture builders of extremely costly furniture were the first in line to bid,, others inlcuded a few very custom builders of fine and limited wood items,,

would imagine they could also adjust the price just by tying the story of where the wood came from,,

never have seen any follow up information,,

F (i Li) P

Post by F (i Li) P » Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:48 pm

I heard this a few days ago at the news on TV, so i guess it's recent... or maybe our news are slightly late :wink:

they said the wood is in perfect condition and that it can be cut, carved, sanded, bent, polished like any other wood, and that the only BIG difference is the lack of that woody smell

Vesuvio

Post by Vesuvio » Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:10 pm

Hello F (i Li) P,

That is amazing! Perhaps someone will produce a musical instrument from it.

best regards, V

andylefty

Post by andylefty » Sat Jan 20, 2007 6:21 pm

That would be amazing to own a guitar made from wood that old ! 8)

I know LaPatrie use wood that is 800 years old from looking at their website.

http://www.lasido.com/lapatriee.htm

800 Year Old Trees
All LaPatrie guitars feature solid cedar tops. The wood used in these tops can be found only in cedar trees that have an average age of about 800 years. The tight, straight grain in this wood makes it strong in the direction of the string tension while at the same time flexible across the grain lines. It is this combination of rigidity and flexibility that give the top its resonance. The vibration of the guitar top is the most crucial element of the sound.

F (i Li) P

Post by F (i Li) P » Sat Jan 20, 2007 6:43 pm

yeah... I think anyone, CG fan or not, would like to see/hear/touch a guitar made of would came from a tree in which his great, great, great, great ........... great, great.......... great, great grandfather would climb to escape from a sabertooth tiger :D

zensei

Post by zensei » Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:15 am

The wood, known as 'swamp kauri' has been used in Langcaster solid-body electric guitars, made here in NZ ( see http://www.guitar.net.nz/ ).
Haven't heard it used for classical guitar though.

offadinglight

Post by offadinglight » Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:44 pm

Interesting stuff! Such wood would ROCK! :twisted: If anyone finds any info onthe net, please share with us. :)

davie

Post by davie » Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:50 am

here in North America there is at least one company recovering vintage logs from the Great Lakes, this wood being over 100 years old
I know a guy who has a Godin solidbody electric nylon string guitar who says that the body is made from some of this wood. It's very dark, close-grained, and judging by the weight, very dense. Looking at the Godin website, though , I don't see any mention of this -- maybe he's wrong (he bought the guitar used), or maybe they just aren't making any more of them.

On a related note, I've seen bone material for nuts and saddles available online that is supposed to be from wooly mammoths -- that would go good with some of that 50,000 year old wood!

azza

Post by azza » Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:06 am

If you go to http://www.guitars.co.nz, laurie williams makes both classical and acoustic guitars useing the ancient kauri dug up from marsh. The grain and timber looks amazing as seen on his website.
As i live in nz maybe i will take a trip up north and see how they sound and play in person but unfortunatly they are well out of my price range.

Return to “Luthiers”