humidity

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
jcrants

Post by jcrants » Sat Jan 27, 2007 4:11 am

GEO wrote:There is a humidifier in the form of a disk that completely covers the sound hole. It's the Kyser Lifeguard model.
I just got one of these earlier this week. We've hit a cold snap, and my guitar developed a funny buzz that I haven't heard since those Minnesota winters back in college. The five minute walk from my dorm to the music hall was brutal on my guitar at ten below zero (Farenheit). :desole:

This time around, since I keep the guitar inside and away from exterior walls, I figured dry air was the culprit. I thought a humidifier might solve the problem, but it hasn't. 15 minutes of playing always seems to resolve the issue, though.

Anyway, the Lifeguard does seal of the soundhole pretty thoroughly. Hopefully, I get some good guitar karma for making the effort.

GEO

Re: haha

Post by GEO » Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:51 am

owl wrote:....In fact several luthiers that I know, suggest that it is better for my guitars to be left out on their stands all the time.
I think that is a contentious point however, and each luthier would have their own thoughts on the matter!
Geez, Owl, I'm no luthier and I have my own stubborn opinion: particularly in dry or humid climates, the humidity can be better controlled in the case. If you have small two footers or any size four footers around, I'd think the case would be an especially good idea.

For those folks who use a guitar support, there is a model that collapses, allowing the guitar to be put back in its comfy bed without detaching it. Wish I could remember the name. :oops:

geo

owl

Post by owl » Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:51 am

LOL GEO... I just do as I'm told! :roll:
I also live in a very stable climate as far as humidity goes... also when you are picking your guitar up a dozen times a day it would be a real bind to keep her in the case!

I don't use a support... just the traditional footstool so I don't have that problem

My playing area in the music room is definitely OFF LIMITS to two and four footers :pascontent:
The only exceptions were my cats, but they have all gone to 'pussy heaven' now :cry:

I'll be interested in Kim's comment... I'm sure opinions vary greatly!

Owl
Never, ever give up!... I leave my songprint on your heart.

chimera

humidity levels

Post by chimera » Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:41 pm

if using a humidifier in the guitar case, can you over humidifiy? Like if the humidity reaches the appropriate level, will it keep adding moisture into the air?

owl

Post by owl » Sat Jan 27, 2007 1:47 pm

chimera... I'm not exactly sure just why you would need a humidifier in Canberra... it's pretty stable up there isn't it... no extremes either?

Just curious :roll:

Have you heard back from Kim yet?

Owl

chimera

lol

Post by chimera » Sat Jan 27, 2007 1:54 pm

Yeah canberra is, but it's the environment that we are in*the house*. My parents will turn on air conditioning at rnadom times so yeah. No word from kim yet, i'll be sure to post his response when i do

owl

Post by owl » Sat Jan 27, 2007 2:05 pm

Mmmmm... I guess that would dry the air out a bit... that might also be a question for Kim.
I would think that taking her in and out of the case in those conditions wouldn't be good either... she might be better just left out... at least she will slowly acclimatise as conditions change... that's one of the things that I was told.

It's not like we live up north or anything... that would probably be a different story! :roll:
Although I did live in SEQ for a few years and I still didn't use a humidifier or dehumidifier as the case might be

Owl

chimera

hmmmmm

Post by chimera » Sat Jan 27, 2007 2:15 pm

I see your point owl.......very interesting.
Yes I will need to clarify with kim about this.

chimera

kim's reply

Post by chimera » Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:43 am

Hi owl, this is Kim's response:

Hi David
If you use a suction support I can give some stick on guards so that they're not directly contacting the finish.
There are no black and white ways of looking after a guitar. If the guitar is in the case and it is a bit moist in there, it will be a problem. Also if the guitar is out of the case but in direct sunlight or near an open window when the humidity is low, that may affect the guitar. You just have to judge according to the climate at the time. Safe humidity is between 40% and 70%. You may want to invest $20 on a basic hygrometer. You can change the humidity of your environment by hanging up a wet towel when it's quite dry or using air conditioning or a dehumidifier when it's a damp atmosphere. I think in Canberra you'll have more dry periods than wet ones.
Regards
Kim

franks59

Re: haha

Post by franks59 » Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:19 am

GEO wrote:For those folks who use a guitar support, there is a model that collapses, allowing the guitar to be put back in its comfy bed without detaching it. Wish I could remember the name. :oops:
geo
Gitano

Frank

Return to “Luthiers”