new guitar... dead spots, and intonation?

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
instroke

new guitar... dead spots, and intonation?

Post by instroke » Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:48 am

I just got a new guitar,

The action is perfect , so it is quite easy to play. However the 9 to 12 fret high e is dead, with no sustain, hit these notes and after 2 seconds the note dies really fast. And the 12th fret high "E" is a flat as well.

Is there anything that can be done to fix this? Maybe the action is too low?
And how do you fix the intonation? Should I send this guitar back?

thanks for the help...

Pragueguy

Post by Pragueguy » Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:29 pm

The first and easiest answer you will get from people who are experts - I am not - is the change the strings and see what happens. After having been doing my own very detailed string research on my guitar for about a year now I can tell you that something like 40% or maybe more of the treble strings - and not only the treble strings - are defective and come with intonation problems.

Including the situation of going flat as you go up the first (high E) string.

Mike

Sasquatch51

Post by Sasquatch51 » Sat Jan 27, 2007 1:27 pm

Yeah, this is most likely a bad string....put on a new one and see if it helps.

instroke

Post by instroke » Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:08 am

Pragueguy wrote:The first and easiest answer you will get from people who are experts - I am not - is the change the strings and see what happens. After having been doing my own very detailed string research on my guitar for about a year now I can tell you that something like 40% or maybe more of the treble strings - and not only the treble strings - are defective and come with intonation problems.

Including the situation of going flat as you go up the first (high E) string.

Mike
thank for the help, I had a Savarez Allaince high tension on there, changed to a Hannabach Carbon, and the same thing. The 12th fret was just flat. Then changed to a Savarez Allaince reg tension, and the 12 frett sounded like a E... checked it with a chromatic tuner as well. And it checked fine.

So, does the string thickness have something to do with it? Cause the Hannabach and the Savarez high tension are really thin strings.
Does anyone have a answer?

Pepe Vergara

Post by Pepe Vergara » Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:20 am

instroke wrote: ... does the string thickness have something to do with it? ...
Yes, the mass is a very imporant factor in intonation, compensation, and quality of sound.

I personally always use medium tension strings for everything.

instroke

Post by instroke » Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:38 pm

What can be done to the nut or saddle to give me the intonation? with Hannabach carbon strings. I believe i have to shorten the string length somehow...

Springwood

New guitar dead spots

Post by Springwood » Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:41 pm

Here is a thought ,as it happened to me .In making the string tests as we all do,I found that with some of the synthetic thinner strings I was having intonation problems on the first string.To cut a long story short and after many evenings of cursing I eventually discovered that the thinner synthetic higher tension strings were pulling down excessively in to the nut groove.And in effect were jamming as I endeavoured to tension and tune them.After playing for a few minutes vibration I suppose allowed movement and the ?!?!! thing would be out of tune again.I eventually had a new nut cut and I have not had the problem ever again .At tension see if the string is pulling down excessively into the nut groove.Rarely do you ever hear of someone having this problem with any of the other 5 strings.

instroke

Re: New guitar dead spots

Post by instroke » Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:04 pm

Springwood wrote:Here is a thought ,as it happened to me .In making the string tests as we all do,I found that with some of the synthetic thinner strings I was having intonation problems on the first string.To cut a long story short and after many evenings of cursing I eventually discovered that the thinner synthetic higher tension strings were pulling down excessively in to the nut groove.And in effect were jamming as I endeavoured to tension and tune them.After playing for a few minutes vibration I suppose allowed movement and the ?!?!! thing would be out of tune again.I eventually had a new nut cut and I have not had the problem ever again .At tension see if the string is pulling down excessively into the nut groove.Rarely do you ever hear of someone having this problem with any of the other 5 strings.
thanks Springwood, I will check it out... maybe I will have to change the nut as well.

Pragueguy

Post by Pragueguy » Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:23 pm

.... and my experience is that the thinnner carbon first/E strings (my experience was generally w Savarez Alliance) frequently had huge "flattening" intonation problems as you went higher up the fingerboard

CGR

Post by CGR » Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:04 pm

Not sure if that will help, but I noticed some strings make better sounds if tuned different from A=440

Michael

Post by Michael » Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:28 am

pepe wrote:Yes, the mass is a very imporant factor in intonation, compensation, and quality of sound.
I go along with this too. I have been using Hannabach Goldin and experienced intonation and tuning problems and a sharp top E sound.
These strings are very thin.
I have just put on some Hannabach 815HT strings. What a difference that made!
My tuning and intonation problems disappeared and I am left with a less sharp but more crispy treble sound. The 815HT's are thicker too which also helps relieve some of the fretting problems I was experiencing.

Return to “Luthiers”