A guitar disaster

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
zenking

A guitar disaster

Post by zenking » Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:56 pm

This morning while practicing, I noticed a creaking sound near the bridge.

It looked likethe bridge was starting to separate from the body.

Sure enough, the entire bridge popped right off of the body!

The glue must have desinigrated and now I am in total shock.

It is a custom made guitar and was made just this past June.

Is this repairable at all? any thoughts?

zenking

Norman Spencer

Your Bridge

Post by Norman Spencer » Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:02 pm

It is easily repairable. On e newish guitar like yours, the maker should repair it at no cost to you. if the maker is not available, any competent luthier can fix it in short order.

Vesuvio

Post by Vesuvio » Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:23 pm

Hello Zenking,

What a ghastly experience! :cry:

I'm sure Cancon is right though; this should be easily repairable and should not take long. :)

Best wishes, V
"There are only two things worth aiming for, good music and a clean conscience." Paul Hindemith

owl

Post by owl » Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:00 pm

Well this would make me feel very unsure about the quality of the entire instrument... it's only 9 months old for goodness sake... and it's custom made!!! :shock:

I would have it straight back to the luthier who built it... and not only would I want it repaired free of charge, with a guarantee that it wouldn't happen again... I would want a damn good explanation as to why it happened in the first place! :pascontent:

And get the entire guitar checked while you're at it! :roll:

Owl
Never, ever give up!... I leave my songprint on your heart.

Ramirez 1a Rio

Post by Ramirez 1a Rio » Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:30 pm

Who was the Maker of that guitar? :roll:

zenking

Post by zenking » Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:55 pm

See mangore.com

Renato Belluci.

supposedly made by luthiers in Paraguay

zenking

BbMinor

Post by BbMinor » Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:39 pm

Renato Belucci is well known for selling low-quality guitars for high prices. :roll:

Vesuvio

Post by Vesuvio » Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:06 pm

Gently, please folks. Mr Bellucci's guitars have been discussed before and he has his supporters as well as his detractors.

Best wishes, V
"There are only two things worth aiming for, good music and a clean conscience." Paul Hindemith

Ramirez 1a Rio

Post by Ramirez 1a Rio » Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:13 pm

:wink: and seems to have bad glue too! :?

Sasquatch51

Post by Sasquatch51 » Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:18 pm

I don't want to get involved in a debate as to the relative quality of those guitars....I've seen some pretty nasty threads about it (on other forums). However, I'd say that Mangore should give this one very high priority and get it fixed quickly and correctly and it should cost you nothing, even if that means replacing the guitar. For the bridge to literally fall off after 9 months is ridiculous. That doesn't even happen to $100 plywood guitars.

Azalais

Post by Azalais » Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:06 pm

Excuse me for asking a few questions before anyone jumps to conclusions about the quality of the guitar... There are two things that are completely beyond the control of the luthier: the temperatures the guitar is subjected to and the tension of the strings that the the end user may have used.

Hide glue is the safest glue for a bridge... it will fail WITHOUT damaging the top... If the guitar was left in a hot car (or a truck during shipping) at any time... and if it was subject to other thermal shocks, it could have affected the glue bond... It could have happened last summer, held for a time and not failed for several months. Also, if the string tension was too high AND a thermal shock occurred, the rapid change in tension could have caused it to pop off.

Glue can fail at 140F which is not that hot! A dark color bridge can reach that temperature sitting in front of a sunny window, and a car can easily reach that temperature.

Sasquatch51

Post by Sasquatch51 » Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:23 pm

Azalais wrote:Excuse me for asking a few questions before anyone jumps to conclusions about the quality of the guitar... There are two things that are completely beyond the control of the luthier: the temperatures the guitar is subjected to and the tension of the strings that the the end user may have used.

Hide glue is the safest glue for a bridge... it will fail WITHOUT damaging the top... If the guitar was left in a hot car (or a truck during shipping) at any time... and if it was subject to other thermal shocks, it could have affected the glue bond... It could have happened last summer, held for a time and not failed for several months. Also, if the string tension was too high AND a thermal shock occurred, the rapid change in tension could have caused it to pop off.

Glue can fail at 140F which is not that hot! A dark color bridge can reach that temperature sitting in front of a sunny window, and a car can easily reach that temperature.
Yeah, you are absolutely correct. In my post, I was assuming reasonable care by the owner of the guitar. If, as you correctly point out, the guitar has been subjected to the types of extremes you mention, then all bets are off....in that case failure may not be the fault of the luthier. I should know better than to "ass-u-me"! :)

Brock

Post by Brock » Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:52 pm

zenking, you have posted about your problem with this guitar in two different threads - I realsie your pretty distraught about this happening to your guitar, but it will get really confusing for other members to read about in two threads. For that reason I'm locking this thread and you can let us know how you get this sorted in the thread called mangore.com.

Return to “Luthiers”