Tuning Peg problem

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
sV_cheats 1

Tuning Peg problem

Post by sV_cheats 1 » Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:10 am

I recently had a bit of an incedent with my guitar (post in Cafe section), and aquired a bit of a ding on the face of my guitar. I have a new problem, and it's my A string tuning peg. It's a bit bent out of shape, and it drives me insane. I was wondering if I should try to bend it back in shape by means of plyers or soft use of a hammer, or should I buy a new machine head all together. It wobbles when I'm tuning, and it has become hard to turn. Any thoughts?

Tuner

Post by Tuner » Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:20 am

Your chances of bending that shaft accurately back are slim at best. Most likely you are going to make things worse. However, what can you loose by trying? The set is shot anyway.

Use a vise grip.

Best
Tuner

sV_cheats 1

Post by sV_cheats 1 » Thu Feb 08, 2007 6:51 pm

Yea, I could actually bend the thing back into place (I agree, it's a miracle). The only problem is that the one that was bent is much harder to turn now than the others. Is this something that a little grease would fix, or should I go ahead and get new machines and save myself the trouble in the long run.
If I should put on grease, what do you guys recommend?

Tuner

Post by Tuner » Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:24 pm

What I meant by the miracle is that you could bend it back AND it would runs smooth. The bending back is the easy part.

No amount of grease will fix it.

What will happen is that that gear will wear out pretty quick.

Sorry for the bad news.

Return to “Luthiers”