Luthier in miami?

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
goni

Luthier in miami?

Post by goni » Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:05 am

Hello everybody!
This is my first post here, but I have been lurking for a while...I've been reading forums for years now and rarely have I encountered such a nice group of people.

To introduce myself, I live in Miami, born in Argentina, living here (since this is an international forum I thought it would be wise to add that HERE is the USA) 5 years now. I am an Architect and play the guitar as a hobby.
I have played the guitar for 20 years on and off.
A month ago I started playing again and started doing some changes...
First off my nut and saddle were of ebony, so I decided to change them.
Started with the saddle, bought a shaped blank from Stewart-MacDonald and copied EXACTLY the one on my guitar. Turned out GREAT!
So now I want to change the nut, but I don't think I can do it myself, so after this long winded intr comes the question:

Does anybody know a good Luthier that could do this in the Miami area?
(Miami, FL)

Thank you very much for your help

Gonzalo

Vesuvio

Post by Vesuvio » Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:38 am

Hello Gonzalo,

I'm glad your days of lurking are over—welcome to the forum!

You are not going to believe this, but I predict you will very soon get a message from another architect from Miami who is also a luthier and will certainly be able to put you in touch with the right person for the job you have described.

Best wishes, V :D
Last edited by Vesuvio on Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
"There are only two things worth aiming for, good music and a clean conscience." Paul Hindemith

Michael

Post by Michael » Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:38 am

Hi Gonzalo!

Welcome to the forum and I am pleased you have come out of hiding!

So you live in Miami. Our Azalais lives there too, so she may have some good ideas for changing the nut on your guitar.

Thank you for your comments on us being nice people here!
You are very welcome to join us... and I hope you do, regularly.

Don't forget to subscribe to the 002 members group after your next post.
You will be able to access some sheet music and you could be in for a treat!

See you around the forum!

Azalais

Post by Azalais » Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:29 pm

Hello Gonzalo

I'll get in touch with you via email if you like. Replicating a new nut is not very difficult, but I would be happy to work on it with you, if you want to learn how to do it yourself. Have you already ordered the nut blank?

goni

Post by goni » Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:12 pm

Vesuvio & Michael,
Thanks for the warm welcome!
I couldn't find how to register for the 002 forum. Do I have to contact the Administrator?

Azalais, by all means contact me by email if you can.
You are an Architect AND a luthier?
I haven't ordered the nut blank because I didn't think I could do it myself since I don't have the files to do the slots, but if you are willing to help me I would be more than happy to give it a try!

Thanks again

Gonzalo

Azalais

Post by Azalais » Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:20 pm

To join the Usergroups, click on the Usergroup button on the top of the page, selct the 002 posted messages and click view information, then click join group It takes 24-48 hours for the request to go through. The private messaging system won't work till your subscription is activated.

I'll get in touch through email about helping you with the repair.

Return to “Luthiers”