Luthier's with guitar playing skills

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
mingaun

Luthier's with guitar playing skills

Post by mingaun » Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:55 am

Will a luthier who him or herself plays the guitar be a huge advantage? How then do luthiers that dont play guitar assess their own art? Or do all luthiers play the guitar? :roll:

Ramirez 1a Rio

Post by Ramirez 1a Rio » Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:09 am

It is an advantage. More or less they all do and some were realy good.

:?

hyz

Post by hyz » Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:46 am

the one i know is RJ Fang from china. He is concert guitarist/recording artist as well as a good luthier.

http://www.rjfang.com

hyz

James Lister
Luthier

Post by James Lister » Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:25 am

It's definitely an advantage to be able to play well. Some luthiers who don't really play have a close working relationship with a good player, and I think this can work well. Romanillos is one great maker who I believe did not play - and I'm sure there are others.

For me, it's not just the advantage of being able to play and assess all my guitars myself, but it also increases my enjoyment and enthusiasm for making guitars, and my motivation for continuing to improve them.

James
James Lister, luthier, Sheffield UK

giofre62

Post by giofre62 » Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:39 pm

I found good guitars made by guitarist-luthiers and good guitars as well made by non playing luthiers.

Pepe Vergara

Post by Pepe Vergara » Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:08 pm

I make a guitar as if it is going to be my own. I play it, and if I am not satisfied when I play it, I do not sell it. I one case, I actually made a second guitar because I was not happy with the one I made. The customer was nice enough to wait. Couple years later, I spent some time fine tuning the inside of the guitar, and it turned out a great guitar. That is the one I play now. Most of the best luthier I know do not play the guitar. They just scratch few chords. If you saw the John William's video, where he meets Greg Smallman, you will see the face of Greg when finally JW plays his guitars and makes a gesture of acceptance. That face, is priceless. I find myself making that face all the time, whenever a good player tests my guitars.

Azalais

Post by Azalais » Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:13 am

Because I am relatively new to both pursuits, I am discovering that (at least for me) they are very inter-connected... by searching out and playing many guitars and lutes, trying to find ones that were more or less easy to play, ones that produced the sound I've been trying to replicate, etc. I've explored all sorts of variations, especially in the areas of neck configuration, fret heights, set up, top thickness, different strings and tensions, different types of finishes, etc. As my playing improves (very slowly) I continue to appreciate new aspects and look for ways to incorporate them into my building and restoration efforts. I learn about playing by building and vice versa.

To give you a recent example... I was asked to repair a lute and discovered that a very subtle difference in the way the bridge was configured made a huge difference in the ease of playing it... I might not have even noticed or appreciated the "solution" if I hadn't struggled to play other ones.

Ramirez 1a Rio

Post by Ramirez 1a Rio » Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:22 am

Pepe: >I find myself making that face all the time, whenever a good player tests my guitars.<

You are priceless! :D

Azalais

Post by Azalais » Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:30 am

I feel better now... I thought that it was a silly "maternal" thing... but I almost cried the first time I heard a really good player play one of mine (It was also partly the realization that I would probably never be able to make it sound so good again :cry: )

Anthony Campanella

Post by Anthony Campanella » Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:34 am

It's been a long time since I saw that video & only saw it once but I remember thinking that Mr. S was in shock - that he could'nt believe what he was seeing & hearing

Ramirez 1a Rio

Post by Ramirez 1a Rio » Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:45 am

Pepe and Azalais and the others: How about a Compassion-Party? :P

Azalais

Post by Azalais » Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:00 am

I'm always up for a good party! (Invite some super guitarists and we could sit around like proud parents at a children's birthday party) Maybe we should also combine it with a good guitar yard sale... (either that or we could start a mini museum with our combined "collections"... with a special Ramirez Room!)

Anthony Campanella

Post by Anthony Campanella » Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:12 am

Anyone involved in classical music deserves a big serving of compassion -

James Lister
Luthier

Post by James Lister » Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:41 am

I was lucky enough to hear Mark Ashford play one of my first guitars when I was still studying luthiery. He visited the college at the end of each year, and selected some of the best guitars to play in a concert. He played about 8 guitars - just one piece on each. On mine he played Sevilla (Albeniz) - I'll never forget it. I have a fairly poor photo of him playing it, but unfortunately not one of me listening to it!

James
James Lister, luthier, Sheffield UK

Return to “Luthiers”