Refinishing

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
JCPO

Refinishing

Post by JCPO » Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:15 am

As I mentioned in a previous thread, I recently acquired a Rodriguez Model FG and the finish was applied very heavily. Can anyone give me an idea of what it would cost to have a good luthier, I'm thinking of Richard Brune, completely strip off the old finish and apply a lacquer finish? I don't think that this model would warrant a french polish.

owl

Post by owl » Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:20 am

The best person to ask is Richard Brune... why don't you give him a call and ask him?.. I'm sure he would be very obliging and tell you ... or at least give you an estimate :lol:

Owl
Never, ever give up!... I leave my songprint on your heart.

JCPO

Post by JCPO » Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:29 am

I did that prior to posting. I'm just waiting for his response.

owl

Post by owl » Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:51 am

JCPO wrote:I did that prior to posting. I'm just waiting for his response.
Great!... let's know what he says... it will be interesting to find out :roll:

Owl
Never, ever give up!... I leave my songprint on your heart.

JCPO

Post by JCPO » Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:03 pm

I've been trying to reach him by phone and by email for over a week. So far, I have had no response.

Francis

Post by Francis » Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:26 pm

That kind of job is done by apprentice luthiers, and usually on top of the notch guitars. I do not think a guy of RB's caliber is dying to get jobs like that. However, he may read this post and do it for PR purposes. I know the man is very busy.

JCPO

Post by JCPO » Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:02 pm

I just spoke with Richard Brune. He explained that the finishes that are being used on this type of guitar would have to be scraped off as the chemicals needed to strip the finish are too dangerous to use. And, the labor cost alone would be far in excess of the guitars value.

It's a shame that the Model FG would have such a poor finish directly from the maker.

chimera

hmm

Post by chimera » Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:34 am

The rodriguez always have a thick coat. I don't think I've ever seen one where it hasn't had that. My best advice is to take the guitar as it is. The luthier has all of the details in mind and I guess that is Rodriguez' choice.
If it was a custom order, well then you can have those choices put into your guitar. As a player, we can't change to suit the guitar and the guitar can't really change for us. Finding the right guitar for your is somewhat similar to finding a soul mate.

Return to “Luthiers”