Comments on Ramirez Model SP?

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
Allan

Comments on Ramirez Model SP?

Post by Allan » Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:38 pm

Does anyone out there play a recent Ramirez Model SP? I've seen this being touted as having more clarity than the other Ramirez guitars, and I'm wondering if that means it's gotten brighter or if it still has the traditional, warm Ramirez sound. How would you describe it?

I've played a few 4E models, and have found them to be quite similar to the 1A; how does the SP compare to the 1A in sound?

Prices on the SP recently jumped from 3,500 to 5,000 (not to mention the 4E--with taxes in my area they're getting perilously close to 4,000). If you already have an SP, would you pay 5,000 for one today?

Many thanks for any input.

Allan

Sasquatch51

Post by Sasquatch51 » Sun Feb 18, 2007 9:34 pm

Hi Allan!

You and I have actually spoken about this before, I think. To tell you the truth, of the 4E's I've played and the 1a's, there's not enough of a gap between them performance-wise (IMHO) to justify a model in between. The 1a's that I've played (in general) have had a little more projection and volume and maybe a little more strength and focus in the trebles....but then, some have been no better, really. The best 4E I've ever played, I bought (on the spot and for a bargain at $1,900 new)..and I still own it. That one's not going anywhere....I've only played a couple of 1a's that I'd choose over it. It's not a 1a, but it will compare as favorably as you could expect.

All that having been said, I've never played an SP, but I just can't see the justification. If a 4E wouldn't do the trick for me, I'd go ahead and spend $6,500 or $7,000 for a good used 1a Tradicional before I'd spend $5,000 on the SP. I've actually seen a couple of 664mm 1a's on e - b a y that could have been picked up for less than $4,000 and a couple of 650mm that could have been won for $5,000 or so.

I'll tell you what, though....if you're looking for a bargain in a Ramirez, check out the Anos 125 Anniversary model. It's a solid IR and Cedar Ramirez based on the "E" series platform (although the headstock looks decidedly "R" series to me). GSI is selling them for $1,999.00. I haven't played one, but I wonder how it compares to the 4E......nah....I need another CG like I need another hole in my head......

Allan

Post by Allan » Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:44 pm

there's not enough of a gap between them performance-wise (IMHO) to justify a model in between
That's what I was thinking.

Thanks for the heads-up on the Anniversary Edition. I've seen it listed on their site, but there's something about the phrase 'Anniversary Edition' that makes me immediately assume an item is being sold for ten grand plus, so my eyes just skipped over it everytime I saw it. Now that I took the time to check it out I have to admit it makes me curious. And yes, it does beg the question, how does it compare to the 4E???

Well, I have to confess I live about four blocks down the street from GSI so maybe I better head over there and try one out.

Nah....I don't need another guitar either :lol:

Allan

chuckinphoenix

Post by chuckinphoenix » Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:55 pm

I have an 'SP' I bought from GSI. Great place with really he;pful and knowledgeable staff. Picked from several they had in stock. I chose a spruce top version. I like the lighter more airy sound of spruce.
Plenty of volume with no dead spots that I have found. Maybe a little buzzing if I force it but nothing when I play in a normal manner. My SP was a 2004 model. Much lower $$ than current GSI pricing.
I had a 4E cedar top didn't like the 'darker' voice.
Chuck
If you ain't the lead dog the scenery never changes.

Allan

Post by Allan » Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:56 pm

Chuck,

How would you characterize the difference between the SP you bought and the 4E other than the difference between spruce and cedar? Would you have preferred a 4E if one was available with a spruce top? Do you think the SP is worth the price jump up from the 4E in other respects--materials, tone, sustain, playablility?

Allan

chuckinphoenix

Post by chuckinphoenix » Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:13 pm

Allan wrote:Chuck,

How would you characterize the difference between the SP you bought and the 4E other than the difference between spruce and cedar? Would you have preferred a 4E if one was available with a spruce top? Do you think the SP is worth the price jump up from the 4E in other respects--materials, tone, sustain, playablility?

Allan
Allen,
At the time the SP and the 4E were almost the same price. Both are similar in playability although I really didn't play the 4E that much. Just didn't like the Cedar. I don't understand the price jump in the SP. You might ask GSI if they have any 2004 or 2005 SP's still available at the lower price. You could also make them an offer for a new SP. Try the old price of 3500$. You never know.
I also understand that the SP and 4E both come with Cedar or Spruce option but I have never seen a spruce 4E. You might ask them about it.

chuckinphoenix

Post by chuckinphoenix » Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:15 pm

Allen,
i just looked at the GSI website. Look on the left side in the Browse store section under 'specials' Lists new Ramirez SP at the old price.
Suggest you give them a call. Ask for Ken Nagatani. He was very helpful when I visited and bought mine. Good player too.
Chuck

Allan

Post by Allan » Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:01 pm

Thanks, I'll take a look.

Allan

Return to “Luthiers”