Do I have the patience to wait for a luthier?

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
clave

Do I have the patience to wait for a luthier?

Post by clave » Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:56 pm

I'm contemplating having a luthier build me a guitar, but I fear I lack the patience and discipline to wait six months for it to be built, and that I will end up compiling other instruments in the interim. Theoretically, my current guitar should tide me over, but this is of little solace, as I itch for an upgrade. Has anyone here commissed a guitar and survived the wait unscathed? Was it worth it? Where did you find the strength?

Derry

Post by Derry » Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:16 pm

if the itch becomes to great why not go on a hunt for one on the market,, when I wanted my buy the two Rubios it took about a month for me to find the sellers,,

I posted a wanted to buy here in Delcamp as well as talking to various top line dealers,,

dlmoak

Post by dlmoak » Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:19 pm

It won't necessarily take 6 months. I think you could get a Traphagen in half that time, depending upon his current committments. Also, many makers will periodically build a guitar to have in the shop in case someone doesn't want to wait.

Sasquatch51

Post by Sasquatch51 » Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:23 pm

Yeah, I 've done the waiting thing. It's tough, but it's worth it. I've also called the luthier and found that he had one ready to go and ordered it...sometimes that works out, too. If you already have a guitar that is acceptable, then a 5 or 6 month wait shouldn't really be a big deal. One thing that helps is if you can get the luthier to periodically provide you with progress updates and send you photos in the various states of completion.

Reis

Post by Reis » Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:31 pm

I have waited even more than 6 months and it's definitely worth.
Last edited by Reis on Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Francis

Post by Francis » Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:49 pm

Are you sure you are a classical guitar player? One of the things I found out is that if you have the patience to learn classical guitar, you should have the patience of waiting for something that is it just being doen for you, one of a kind. I was not aware of so many luthiers desperate advertising around. That should lower the price. The man asked if you ever had commissioned a guitar, not that he was looking for one. What a way to help someone!! :(

dan711

Post by dan711 » Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:52 pm

Do you have a specific luthier in mind? If you don't, then why would you need to have a guitar made for you when there are so many great guitars for sale now? Usually, one commissions a guitar when they are specifically interested in a certain luthier's work, or style. Sometimes people just like the idea of a guitar being made for them, and they want to participate in the process, by selecting the woods, the measurements, and so on. Is that you? If not, then I would suggest that there is really no compelling reason to commission a guitar. In fact, you never know how a guitar is going to sound until you play it. That's more reason to play a guitar before buying it...

tritone

Post by tritone » Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:01 pm

Hello Clave

With all do respect may I ask who the luthier is? thanks and good luck in you choice.

Best Wishes
JR

JCPO

Post by JCPO » Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:20 pm

If you're interested, G V Rubio has four Hauser models currently in stock as well as a Solista. Also, William Neese has guitars available immediately.

chimera

getting a guitar comissioned

Post by chimera » Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:23 pm

I'm currently having a guitar commissioned for me. It has been almost a year but well worth the wait. I'm still waiting for it and it's getting close. The wait hasn't been bad. Towards the end you feel the excitement. I don't think 6 months is a long wait at all. Over the time I have been waiting, I still practise on my current guitar and despite the fact that I'll be getting an upgrade, from time to time I'll still be playing the guitar that brought me into this world. Whilst the guitar is being built you have things to work on, improving your technique, working on past pieces,etc. The new guitar is not a necessity and more of a privilege to own such a fine instrument. Appreciate what you have and then when the time comes you will appreciate it more.

Intune

patience

Post by Intune » Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:45 pm

A friend of mine waited 6 years for the delivery of a new Robert Ruck guitar -- a fabulous instrument by any measure -- so your anticipated 6-month wait sounds like a drop in the bucket to me. If you're already familiar with your luthier's work and are committed to it, and if you're unable to get one of his instruments by other means (such as the second-hand market, for instance), then a half-year wait sounds reasonable indeed. Anything worth having is worth waiting for.
Cheers, Intune

AO

Post by AO » Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:46 am

I think if your luthier promises you a guitar in six months and delivers in that time, your doing pretty good.

pichy

Post by pichy » Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:57 am

I think waiting for 6 months is OK. It's not too long for individual maker.

For me, I'm wating 1 yr for Gnatek (hope he will start making my guitar around this April or May) and 8 months for Yuichi Imai.

James Lister
Luthier

Post by James Lister » Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:27 am

There's plenty of us out here with less than 6 month waiting lists - have a look around and see what you can find.

James
James Lister, luthier, Sheffield UK

Taz2A

Post by Taz2A » Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:26 am

be happy it's a short delay ...
I remember to write to Ignacio Fleta in the 1978 and he was asking for 19 years !!!!
there are a lot of luthiers with short delays ; don't be worry for the delay but spend your energy to know what kind of instrument you want ...
Sometimes it's better to wait some months .

Return to “Luthiers”