My new guitar being crafted

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
The_Dude

Post by The_Dude » Sat Apr 14, 2007 4:30 am

Awesome, thanks for sharing the pics. The guitar looks like it's going to sound sweet. I can't wait to hear it when you upload some recordings.

brian

Post by brian » Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:00 pm

mark-
you must be getting really excited!!!
even i am. it looks great.
it's like watching a birth but, a lot less gross :lol:

when will you figure you'll take delivery??

mark96

Post by mark96 » Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:29 pm

brian wrote:mark-
you must be getting really excited!!!
even i am. it looks great.
it's like watching a birth but, a lot less gross :lol:

when will you figure you'll take delivery??
it will be at least 2-3 weeks of finish and French Polish...having witnessed the birth of my daughters many years ago, yes, it is FAR less gross. I am looking forward to playing it that first time...

Mark

brian

Post by brian » Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:28 pm

mark-
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!
2-3 weeks of pure excitement and then,
the first time you hold, tune, play..pure bliss!!!

i'm not a father but, i reckon it's got to be
pretty close to as exciting as a birth without
all the fears and worries. it was to me kinda :wink:

thanks for the updates!!!!

mark96

Re: My new guitar being crafted

Post by mark96 » Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:23 pm

mark96 wrote:
mark96 wrote:I have a new guitar being crafted by Aquiles Torres (ATorres here at Delcamp). Its progress is being photographed and posted at:

http://picasaweb.google.com/mark.warrior/TorresStudioA

I'll post updates when more pictures are posted to the website.

Mark

The rosette has been sealed and the rest of the guitar is now receiving the same treatment. The pictures show a nice closeup of the guitar, and especially the maple binding.

Mark

mark96

Post by mark96 » Wed May 09, 2007 7:18 pm

mark96 wrote:
mark96 wrote:I have a new guitar being crafted by Aquiles Torres (ATorres here at Delcamp). Its progress is being photographed and posted at:

Mark

The rosette has been sealed and the rest of the guitar is now receiving the same treatment. The pictures show a nice closeup of the guitar, and especially the maple binding.

Mark
One new picture added of the guitar sides and back after "bodying" with the French Polish, and a second of the bridge polishing.

For more on the French Polish technique:
http://www.milburnguitars.com/fpbannerframes.html

Mark

mark96

Post by mark96 » Thu May 10, 2007 10:38 am

mark96 wrote:
mark96 wrote:

Mark

Mark
One new picture added of the guitar sides and back after "bodying" with the French Polish, and a second of the bridge polishing.

Mark
I have added three more pictures, these of the rosette and top of the guitar. The rosette was hand-made in Russia by a father and son team, and they have many others that are beautiful as well. One might note a little browning of the maple binding away from the light, and this is due to bleeding by the rosewood sides. Once the French Polish is finished on the sides, the binding will be sanded and re-sealed to preserve the natural maple color.

Estimated time of completion: 3 weeks (I leave for a 3 week vacation just before completion, so I will take delivery June 16). Construction began on March 9. Total estimated completion time is just under 12 weeks.

Note: the asymmetric soundboard design seems to have worked well. Tapping the bass side and treble side demonstrates the difference in resonance.

Thank you for sharing the journey!

Mark

cealvarezp

saw your baby last Sunday

Post by cealvarezp » Thu May 10, 2007 9:31 pm

Mark,

I saw your baby last Sunday at Aquiles' house. It is looking beautiful. I was particularly impressed by the rosette and how the colors are enhanced by the polish. The carving in the head is gorgeous as well. I hope it sounds as beautiful as it looks... mine certainly does :)

cealvarezp

when will it be ready

Post by cealvarezp » Wed May 23, 2007 7:49 pm

Mark,

any news on your guitar? when is the delivery date?

mark96

Re: when will it be ready

Post by mark96 » Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:35 am

cealvarezp wrote:Mark,

any news on your guitar? when is the delivery date?
Five more pictures have been added.

I will be taking delivery on June 23, 2007. Work began on March 9, 2007. That will be 106 days or 15 weeks and 1 day.

Mark

brian

Post by brian » Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:42 am

mark96-
it's so exciting and it's not
even my guitar. it looks beautiful.
mp3 sample once you get used to her??? :wink:

more guitars less babies i say!!!

MaximilianRG

Post by MaximilianRG » Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:22 am

Wow! Thanks for sharing those photos. They are very exciting to look at and I can only image how excited you are.

I am hoping you will show some pictures of how the strings are fastened to the twelve-hole bridge. I am guessing they are optional to use and there is more than one good way to use them?

Sasquatch51

Post by Sasquatch51 » Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:41 am

mark96 wrote:
mark96 wrote:
mark96 wrote:

Mark

Mark
I have added three more pictures, these of the rosette and top of the guitar. The rosette was hand-made in Russia by a father and son team, and they have many others that are beautiful as well. One might note a little browning of the maple binding away from the light, and this is due to bleeding by the rosewood sides. Once the French Polish is finished on the sides, the binding will be sanded and re-sealed to preserve the natural maple color.

Estimated time of completion: 3 weeks (I leave for a 3 week vacation just before completion, so I will take delivery June 16). Construction began on March 9. Total estimated completion time is just under 12 weeks.

Note: the asymmetric soundboard design seems to have worked well. Tapping the bass side and treble side demonstrates the difference in resonance.

Thank you for sharing the journey!

Mark
Wow...Mark, I chose that exact same Russian Rosette for my cedar-topped Johnny Walker guitar. I love it!

mark96

Post by mark96 » Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:40 pm

I had to chose from at least 30 different options, so I had my wife pick her top 7 and I picked my top 7, then we broke it down to what we preferred in order of preference from the overlapping choices. We both really liked the one that is on the guitar now, and it came out beautifully, as you know from personal experience and the pictures of my guitar.

Mark

mark96

It's finished!

Post by mark96 » Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:53 pm

I picked her up yesterday!

I have added 22 pictures showing the final completion steps and "formal" photographs:

The work began on March 9, 2007 and I took delivery June 23, 2007.

I will be posting a music clip soon. Enjoy the pictures and thanks for coming along on the journey!

Mark

Return to “Luthiers”