Alejandro Roca y Hermanos

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
Jelma

Alejandro Roca y Hermanos

Post by Jelma » Sat May 05, 2007 8:30 am

Hi everyone,

I just bought a vintage guitar, made by Alejandro Roca y Hermanos from Valencia, Spain. I guess it was made somewhere between 1880 and 1920.

Back and sides appear to be Brazilian rosewood, top spruce. It has some issues and cracks, as well as LOTS of mother-of-pearl, but I am planning to have it restored to full playability, in due course. I may try some Pujol-style gut strings on it from Aquila.

Does anyone else have a guitar by this maker? I am very happy with it (thanks Martin W.!).

Greetings from Amsterdam, Jelma van Amersfoort :D :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

zavaletas

Post by zavaletas » Sat May 19, 2007 10:22 pm

My guess from the style and the little that is known about this maker is that your guitar was built between 1880-1900.
James, Zavaleta's La Casa de Guitarras

Jelma

Post by Jelma » Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:21 pm

Dear James

Thank you for the help. Guitars from Valencia from that time look confusingly like each other.

I recently had a look at the amazing antique guitars on your website, I was fascinated by the Hausers.

And an earlier Spanish instrument like the Casasnovas is definitely on my wish list for when I'll be old and rich :-)

Jelma

Return to “Luthiers”