what to do: luthier takes deposit ... update

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
chimera

hey

Post by chimera » Sun May 20, 2007 12:49 am

Just letting you know most of the people that have replied I don't think are luthiers are players such as yourself (me included). I honestly do know ho you feel, my luthier didn't communicate too much with me. When I rang him he would be less than willing to talk, when asking for progress he would say "yeah it's going fine, it's getting there". Then there would this be awkwardness for a while until I kinda go, "ok talk to you later". But I am more than willing to vouch though that your guitar will come through. As many people have pointed out, he won't just "throw something together" no matter how much time he is over due by. Luthiers have this great thing about controlling time heheh time doesn't control them they control the time. I thought like you did about my guitar, that now he will rush it and it wont' be good. I couldn't be further than the truth :) Goodluck in your journey my friend.

musicalhair

Post by musicalhair » Wed May 30, 2007 9:03 pm

Hey Chimera, thanks for the words of solidarity.

Here is an update. I went down to see the guitar on Saturday and it is essentially finished. He has to 1) shape the neck a little more to my preferences, it was a little flat in the back and my thumb expects something a little rounded to navigate around, and 2) finish the finish. It should be done by this coming weekend. It will be a really nice guitar.

Based on the way he worded his apologies for the delay-- and I made sure to present a more understanding and mellow tone than I've demonstrated here--, I got the impression that if I didn't send off email asking him to show me something I might not see anything for another month or more. Another reason I think that is: he started another guitar which was going to be essentially a mirror image of mine-- the other being righty with a cut-away--, and I asked how that one is going and he said it is not as far along as mine. I remember this because he mentioned wanting to take a picture of them side by side when they'd be finished. I offered to drive back with it so he can get the picture if he wants.

Anyway I should see it early next week or maybe Saturday, after my kid's piano recital. I'll post another update probably during the new-guitar-honeymoon.

I want to thank again everyone that chipped in here giving me you're prespective on this as I was at a loss as to how to proceed: thanks.

Sasquatch51

Post by Sasquatch51 » Wed May 30, 2007 9:11 pm

musicalhair wrote:Hey Chimera, thanks for the words of solidarity.

Here is an update. I went down to see the guitar on Saturday and it is essentially finished. He has to 1) shape the neck a little more to my preferences, it was a little flat in the back and my thumb expects something a little rounded to navigate around, and 2) finish the finish. It should be done by this coming weekend. It will be a really nice guitar.

Based on the way he worded his apologies for the delay-- and I made sure to present a more understanding and mellow tone than I've demonstrated here--, I got the impression that if I didn't send off email asking him to show me something I might not see anything for another month or more. Another reason I think that is: he started another guitar which was going to be essentially a mirror image of mine-- the other being righty with a cut-away--, and I asked how that one is going and he said it is not as far along as mine. I remember this because he mentioned wanting to take a picture of them side by side when they'd be finished. I offered to drive back with it so he can get the picture if he wants.

Anyway I should see it early next week or maybe Saturday, after my kid's piano recital. I'll post another update probably during the new-guitar-honeymoon.

I want to thank again everyone that chipped in here giving me you're prespective on this as I was at a loss as to how to proceed: thanks.
Good deal, MH! I'm sure you'll love it. After 5 minutes of playing it you'll forget all about the anxiety.

musicalhair

Post by musicalhair » Wed May 30, 2007 9:15 pm

I hope so bro, but Anxiety could be my middle name :lol:

Vesuvio

Post by Vesuvio » Wed May 30, 2007 9:39 pm

Hello Musicalhair,

I am glad things seem to be working out for you. Sasquatch is right, five minutes after you get that guitar in your hands you will be grinning from ear to ear!

Best wishes, V :D
"There are only two things worth aiming for, good music and a clean conscience." Paul Hindemith

brian

Post by brian » Thu May 31, 2007 12:22 am

Musicalhair-

glad that light at the end of the tunnel
wasn't a freight train.
enjoy the new guitar. :!:

chimera

woohoo

Post by chimera » Thu May 31, 2007 12:24 pm

Mate i'm happy for ya !!!! You'll love it

Brent

Post by Brent » Thu May 31, 2007 3:04 pm

Wonderful! We'll expect another update, of course, once you've actually received her.

Brent

musicalhair

Post by musicalhair » Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:14 pm

I picked up the guitar a couple of days ago. In the process he told me alot about the curing process of a French Polish finish and the way a guitar's sound "matures" (I guess would be a good word) over time as I play it.

I guess the final part of this experience could be summed up by the fact that I'm cautious of giving a "honeymoon" review. The guitar is really awesome. For the details it has: Western Red Cedar top with a "custom" bracing, East Indian Rosewood back and sides, Spanish Cedar neck with a trus rod, Ebony Fingerboard with nickel silver frets, bone nut and saddle, unspecified Rosewood Bridge, B-Band electronics, French Polish over lacquer sealer. The cutaway is nice, and the heel is shaped in such a way to allow comfortable access to the upper frets. This apsect of the guitar is really amazing. I've seen plenty of cut-away guitars where the heel proves the be the obstacle to the fertile ground of notes the cut-away was supposed to provide access to.

The sound if really full and rich, especially when compared to my Flamenco guitar I picked up in Spain in 1987. The lowest notes cause the back to actually push against me, which is something I've never felt in a guitar before. That part is really nice. I'm so pleased with the way It's sounded and played for me over these couple of days that when I have the chance again (and the cash) I will want to look into having one of the "top of his line" full-on "Classical" guitars made for me. The bass is so pumping on this one and the sound as it is, I can only imagine what a no-holds-barred proper classical will sound like.

Only caveat might be: if he says "3 months" I'll say "don't you mean 7", or if he says 6 months I might counter with a year, and schedule in some progress visits. I get the sense that he and perhaps others need an "expediter/assistant/receptionist" that can: really predict and control his schedule, handle customer relations, and crack the whip to ensure things progress somewhat on time. This isn't meant to sound condescending or bad in any way but many artistic types need someone to handle these things and to crack the whip when needed. The best examples I can cite may not prove convincing but here are three: Dick Van Dyke let his manager handle everything and while everyone loved Dick Van Dyke everyone thought his manager was a jerk (but really the "Jerk" handled all that for Dick and he was allowed to be "him"), Jay Leno and his manager had a similar relationship which was made famous in th movie about the succession of the Tonight Show, and many if not all restaurants have an "Expediter" which is a chef (or close approximation) making sure things happen in a synchronized and timely way so that the dining experience flowing out of the kitchen to your tables is as it should be. It is a job or a role not everyone is cut out for but is essential in many situations.

But to some up: man, what a nice guitar!!! My wife loves the way it sounds, and finds it far superior to my flamenco.

Michael.N.

Post by Michael.N. » Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:42 pm

Well at least it turned out fine in the end. Glad you like your Guitar.
You are probably right on the expediter/assistant/receptionist thing. Just have to find someone willing to do it for a few cents per hour :wink:

JQ.

Post by JQ. » Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:18 am

musicalhair wrote:I get the sense that he and perhaps others need an "expediter/assistant/receptionist" that can: really predict and control his schedule, handle customer relations, and crack the whip to ensure things progress somewhat on time. This isn't meant to sound condescending or bad in any way but many artistic types need someone to handle these things and to crack the whip when needed. The best examples I can cite may not prove convincing ... It is a job or a role not everyone is cut out for but is essential in many situations.
I am glad you are happy with the guitar, now that you finally have it in your hands! :)

No, your examples were good. I'll add another... Behind nearly every really successful businessman/woman is someone who wears a much more humble title - that of "secretary" or "administrative assistant". They make sure the "boss" is organized, gets things done on time, often composes their correspondence for them, and handles routine matter on their behalf.

And I'll agree that creative/artistic types often especially need someone like this to help them with what they consider the drudge work that is actually crucial to their success.

A personal experience here... my father-in-law recently passed away, and his will named my husband as the sole executor of his estate. My husband didn't have a clue what to do about anything. I have spent most of my life working in administration and have trained (though never worked) as a paralegal. I am the one doing all the research, making all the phone calls, and preparing all the paperwork for his signature. So while he's officially the executor, I'm doing 99% of the work involved in settling the estate.

I went with him to his dad's primary bank and his eyes glazed over as they mentioned options. I'm the one who said "Why don't we put the bulk of it into a short-term, high-yield CD that we can add to as we liquidate other assets (we can figure out what we want to do long-term once it matures), and the rest into a liquid, interest-bearing account we can use to make needed repairs to the house in the meantime? How about X$ into the CD and Y$ into the liquid account?" So while I'm no financial investment wizard, he agreed that my suggestion made a lot of sense.

He's lucky to have me, ain't he? :lol:

brooks

Post by brooks » Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:36 am

JQ. wrote:I went with him to his dad's primary bank and his eyes glazed over as they mentioned options. I'm the one who said "Why don't we put the bulk of it into a short-term, high-yield CD that we can add to as we liquidate other assets (we can figure out what we want to do long-term once it matures), and the rest into a liquid, interest-bearing account we can use to make needed repairs to the house in the meantime? How about X$ into the CD and Y$ into the liquid account?" So while I'm no financial investment wizard, he agreed that my suggestion made a lot of sense.

He's lucky to have me, ain't he? :lol:
i'll say! and i can relate to him...the only high yielding CD i've put money into recently is karen schaupp's "leyanda"...it has yielded me much pleasure and instruction. i'm afraid i'd be about as useful as your husband for the kind you're refering to though... :oops:

btw, congrats on your new baby musicalhair. i'm glad it all worked out for the best, that your happy with your instrument and still on good terms with the luthier...a classic win/win despite the long wait

Dan Kellaway

Post by Dan Kellaway » Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:42 am

How nice, a story with a happy ending! Congratulations on your perseverance and on the receipt of your new instrument, Musicalhair.

The_Dude

Post by The_Dude » Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:54 am

Yea, it was great to hear that this ended as well as it has so far. Coming from someone who came upon this thread just after I had put $500 down to be on a 1.5 year wait list, well let's just say I was getting a little anxious.

Pepe Vergara

Post by Pepe Vergara » Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:53 pm

The_Dude wrote:Yea, it was great to hear that this ended as well as it has so far. Coming from someone who came upon this thread just after I had put $500 down to be on a 1.5 year wait list, well let's just say I was getting a little anxious.
Hi Dude:
I have not received the $500 yet. Did you send it by mail or email? :wink:
-------------------
Just kidding! I do not know who you are. I just could not resist to barge in, in case you are the one. The fact is that a customer who wrote to me addressing me as Dude sent me a $500 certified check for a guitar, but did not left an address, name or what type of guitar he wants. I guess I will not use the money until I read from him again. I am sure he would read one of these forums and realize I need some more info to move forward.

Return to “Luthiers”