classical guitar < - $2000?

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
gonff1300

classical guitar < - $2000?

Post by gonff1300 » Sat May 19, 2007 9:39 pm

I would like to find a nice classical guitar with either a solid spruce or cedar top, ebony fingerboard, and solid IER sides and bottom for under $2000.

I'm doing some research before visiting the Classical Guitar Store in Philadelphia to play several different models and make a decision.

Does anyone have any experience with The Classical Guitar Store in Philadelphia, with the GIAMBATTISTA G6 or the Antonio Picado Model 54 or 60?

Any other models in that price range that you'd recommend or other retailers in Philadelphia, NYC, or northern NJ?

Thanks!

Tim W

Post by Tim W » Sun May 20, 2007 12:11 am

You might also want to look at the "Cremona" model guitars of Augostino LoPrinzi. I believe that the Classical Guitar Store usually has them in stock. He is known for making very well-made, finished and playable guitars at a reasonable price.

Good hunting!
Tim

nicknicklus

mangore.com

Post by nicknicklus » Sun May 20, 2007 12:46 am

you could look for a good guitar at the mangore web site there you can find some guitars handmade for around 2,000 dollars.

Vesuvio

Post by Vesuvio » Sun May 20, 2007 5:20 am

Hello Nicknicklus,

I just noticed that you are new here. Welcome! If you have time I would like to invite you to the Introduce Yourself section where you might like to tell members a little about your musical interests and background.

Best wishes, V
"There are only two things worth aiming for, good music and a clean conscience." Paul Hindemith

Tomas-Lobos

Post by Tomas-Lobos » Sun May 20, 2007 10:01 am

Just google 'Pavan guitars'.

kylekoch

Re: mangore.com

Post by kylekoch » Sun May 20, 2007 4:49 pm

nicknicklus wrote:you could look for a good guitar at the mangore web site there you can find some guitars handmade for around 2,000 dollars.
I would recommend whatever you decide, only buy when you have actually played the guitar. I learned this lesson the hard way and essentially wasted 2500 dollars. The Mangore guitar I bought and still have was a major disappointment(is explained in detail on the public space forum. search renato bellucci and you should find it. ) I went to Dream guitars in Ashville NC where they had many quality guitars to play and choose from, and found a Bogdonovich I fell in love with :) . I strongly recommend you travel if you have to and sit down and play several. Alhambra is another brand that always gets great reviews, in your price range too.
good luck and dont rush in too quick, 2000 is alot of money

JQ.

Post by JQ. » Sun May 20, 2007 6:28 pm

I would echo what kylekoch said about actually playing a guitar before you decide. Reviews and recommendations are just too nebulous to go on when it's something as personal as a guitar that will (hopefully!) be your companion for many years to come.

Also, consider buying used. High-end dealers usually take trade-ins. You might be surprised what you could get in that price range.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes. :)

brian

Post by brian » Sun May 20, 2007 10:52 pm

the antonio loriente line
is a real value for the money.
the claireta is around 1500. the other is the
contreras c-5 which is a tad under 2K.
i played a spruce top loriente and it was excellent.
the contreras c-5 cedar i played was a monster.
i really liked the c-5. it's in the madrid tradition
while the loriente is more in the torres tradition.

Allan

Post by Allan » Mon May 21, 2007 3:33 am

You have lots of good choices in that range. I have to second Brian on the Loriente Clarita. I played one a couple months ago and couldn't believe how warm and beautiful it sounded (or maybe that was just my playing :lol: ). If you're going to the Classical Store in Philly you might also want to see if Mr. Page has anything by Cervantes in stock. I've played a few of his guitars, owned a master model lattice-braced spruce-top, and currently have a commission to get a custom Hauser built. Cervantes makes a standard model Hauser you can get for under two grand that has a great reputation.

Also, you can't go wrong with an Esteve guitar. From the GRO8 model and up they are hard to beat. You might still find one new for fifteen hundred or so. I had a GRO8 for almost ten years and just gave it up a few months ago and I still miss it.

I also second the usual and most important caveat: play before you buy.

Allan

Rolls-Royce

Re: classical guitar < - $2000?

Post by Rolls-Royce » Tue May 22, 2007 2:10 am

gonff1300 wrote:I would like to find a nice classical guitar with either a solid spruce or cedar top, ebony fingerboard, and solid IER sides and bottom for under $2000.

I'm doing some research before visiting the Classical Guitar Store in Philadelphia to play several different models and make a decision.

Does anyone have any experience with The Classical Guitar Store in Philadelphia, with the GIAMBATTISTA G6 or the Antonio Picado Model 54 or 60?

Any other models in that price range that you'd recommend or other retailers in Philadelphia, NYC, or northern NJ?

Thanks!
The Classical Guitar Store also carries the Paco Marin line. I own a PM395 with spruce top and like it a lot. Most Paco Marins are within the price range you quoted and you owe it to yourself to check them out while you are there. :D

easyclassical

Post by easyclassical » Sat May 26, 2007 1:28 am

What about the Lucida line? I hear nothing but good reviews from them.

GEO

Post by GEO » Wed May 30, 2007 1:30 am

I bought a Giambattista G8 ($2500) from the Classical Guitar Store in Phila. I believe the G6 is under $2k.

The Giambattista is a superb instrument. My teacher compared it to his Rozas and it came quite close. It's fair to say it is a near concert grade guitar. It has wonderful sustain, clarity and balance. The workmanship is impeccable. It certainly gets my vote.

Cheers,

geo

gonff1300

I chose the Giambattista G6

Post by gonff1300 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:13 pm

After extensive research, I visited The Classical Guitar store in Philadelphia intending to purchase a spruce Loriente Clarita. I spent two hours playing and listening to cedar and spruce tops including the Loriente Clarita, the Giambattista G6, the Antonio Picado Model 60, and the Kenny Hill Almeria. I finally chose the Giambattista G6 based on the sound, fit and finish. After playing it for a week, the only change I would make is to lower the action a bit to meet my preferences.

Jake

Re: I chose the Giambattista G6

Post by Jake » Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:06 am

gonff1300 wrote:After extensive research, I visited The Classical Guitar store in Philadelphia intending to purchase a spruce Loriente Clarita. I spent two hours playing and listening to cedar and spruce tops including the Loriente Clarita, the Giambattista G6, the Antonio Picado Model 60, and the Kenny Hill Almeria. I finally chose the Giambattista G6 based on the sound, fit and finish. After playing it for a week, the only change I would make is to lower the action a bit to meet my preferences.
Those are the same four guitars I've been investigating. OK, I'll add a fifth: a GV Rubio Estudio, which is in the same ballpark price-wise. I can hear all of them locally except the Giambattista.

I'm looking for something with clear, sustaining trebles and easy playability. Volume and projection are secondary. Goniff, would you say the Giamb. fits the bill?

gonff1300

Post by gonff1300 » Sat Jun 23, 2007 3:35 pm

Yes, the Giambattista sounds great, better to my ears than others I mentioned in my post. The only change I would make is lowering the action.

I strongly agree with others who suggest try before you buy. I never imagined that I would pick the Giambattista over the Loriente Clarita after extensive research but the tone was much better to my ears.

I also own a Heritage 555 (a Gibson 335 clone made in the original Gibson factory) which I purchased online without playing it first. I love the Heritage, but the finish is different from what I expected from the photos and the guitar is a little less comfortable to play than I expected from playing 335s. I wouldn't trade it but I might have made a different choice if I had played the Heritage before I bought it.

Return to “Luthiers”