Ramirez Fan Bracing

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
hyz

Ramirez Fan Bracing

Post by hyz » Thu May 24, 2007 7:32 am

anyone know the pattern of a fan bracing on Ramirez guitars?...may be the 1a model will be fine or any typical bracing uses by Ramirez.

If you have any picture, link or illustration will be great!

Thank you!

hyz

skully

Post by skully » Thu May 24, 2007 7:09 pm

Hello Hyz
Plans for many guitars can be brought on line. I have plans for 1966 Ramirez
1A.
Try ***
all the best Skully

Ronald Coates

Post by Ronald Coates » Mon May 28, 2007 5:14 am

http://home.pacbell.net/banshee3/classi ... gress.html

Try that link... the only pic I could find. It's not great and its just some guy building a Ramirez braced guitar, but should give you an idea.

Azalais

Post by Azalais » Mon May 28, 2007 6:17 am

The Guild of American Luthiers has a number of interesting plans for sale, including a 1911 Ramirez: http://www.luth.org/index.html

Pepe Vergara

Ramirez Inspired

Post by Pepe Vergara » Mon May 28, 2007 6:08 pm

This is my version of Ramirez bracing. Dimensions of braces are my own. Cross brace is also different.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

brooks

Post by brooks » Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:57 pm

i notice from the pictures that the focal point of the braces on he ramirez seems to be lower than the 12th fret, which is apparently one of the standard points of convergence for radial bracing. i read somewhere that making the focal point lower down - say the 8th fret - gives a darker tone. does anyone know if this is in fact a general rule?

Marcus Dominelli
Luthier

Post by Marcus Dominelli » Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:44 pm

Nice work Pepe!
Mr. Brooks - How are you doing! I don't know for sure about how the alteration of the fans would affect tone per se. But doing this (focusing at the 8th fret as opposed to the 12th) will decrease the cross-grain stiffness of the top.
Many of us, musicians and luthiers, have seen (and heard) the affects of increased cross grain stiffness, as seen in a lattice design, which can be considered extreme perhaps.
Yes, I would have to say that all things being equal (which they never really are) braces that are more parallel to the center line will tend to warm up the sound. I throw around the term "darker" because everyone else does, but I prefer to use the term "warm."
Experienced luthiers will adapt thier bracing (or other features) during the building process to accommodate the characteristics of the top wood.
By focusing the fans at the 12th or 14th fret, the sounds can be tightened up a bit.
Do you agree Pepe, (or anyone else)?
Marcus Dominelli

Return to “Luthiers”