Flamenco Guitars?

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
Merlin5p0

Flamenco Guitars?

Post by Merlin5p0 » Sun May 27, 2007 7:52 pm

I'm a classical guitar player, but occasionally I like to dabble in the flamenco style, especially on really nice days. Much to my dismay, I found that tapping with my nails (I'm sure there's a name for that technique) dents the top of my new guitar. :x
Does anyone have suggestions for decent student model flamenco guitars in the $400 - $600 price range?

Nando

Post by Nando » Sun May 27, 2007 8:32 pm

The Yamaha flamenco guitars are quite nice for the price. Take a look.

Marcus Dominelli
Luthier

Post by Marcus Dominelli » Sun May 27, 2007 10:16 pm

Yes, I agree with that. I have seen some decent Yamaha flamenco guitars in this price range that I thought were nicer than a lot of the Spanish factory made flamencos which were easily twice the cost.
Marcus Dominelli

Azalais

Post by Azalais » Sun May 27, 2007 10:30 pm

Yes, I have a Yamaha Flamenco guitar the set up was perfect (nice low action, fast fingerboard and neck... it was a huge help when I was having pain in my hands) The finish work is excellent and it sounds great! I always take it as a travel guitar when we go on our family trips because my brother also plays flamenco... so it works well for both of us. It has very light weight tap plates, so I also feel safer lending to friends and their kids who come over and want to "experiment" to see if they might want to learn to play guitar! I would definitely recommend it as comfortable first guitar for ""mature" beginners too... It's much easier to play than most CGs and makes beautiful full sound.

woz

Post by woz » Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:44 am

To anyone who have a Yamaha flamenco, what model are you talking about?
- thanks

Sean

I don't know about the others

Post by Sean » Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:19 am

I have a 171SF and she's a dream. Even with Yamahas, you can line up 500 of them and a couple will really be excellent guitars (and so, so many more will be just junk). I love my flamenco; it plays with bright colors and the action is easy. The finish is just beautiful, but the thing that really stands out about my guitar is the range from tasto to ponticello - this guitar simply has a huge range of colors.

woz

Post by woz » Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:00 am

Thanks 63Sean, although I do not think I will be able to try out 500. Probably if I get to try one it will be the only one in the shop!
What strings do you use on it?

Anyone else with any comments on Flamenco guitars (especially Yamaha?)
thanks

Sean

strings

Post by Sean » Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:08 am

I use medium tension La Bella strings for flamenco guitar.

The_Dude

Post by The_Dude » Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:07 pm

I thought the yamaha was ok. The action/setup were its best feature. The sound left alot to be desired, but I bought mine used for $285 so I really couldn't complain. I wasn't really all that crazy about the size 650mm w/ 52mm nut. My current flamenco has a 660mm w/ 53mm nut which seems to feel a little better. Savarez Corum New Cristals HT always seem to sound good to me.

woz

Post by woz » Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:54 am

Have either of you tried "Flamenco strings"? I am trying them at the moment (Hannabach), but do not know what I am looking for to tell the difference between say Saverez alliance or whatever (non-flamenco.) I thought they might have more "bite" but don't seem much difference.

The_Dude

Post by The_Dude » Wed Jun 13, 2007 6:41 am

Hannabach strings sound great on my classical (Takamine EC132sc), but I could not find a set that sounds good for flamenco. It seemed like the trebles were just too dull, and the diameter of the trebles felt a bit too large. The responsiveness left alot to be desired. But, in all fairness to Hannabach, I only tried the Flamenco series on the Yamaha.

Give those Savarez 500CJ Corum New Cristals a try. The bases are some of the clearest I have tried. The trebles are also very clear and responsive. The diameter of the string as also great . I seem to be able to get the rasgeados to growl easier with these strings.

Alot of flamenco players I know speak highly of the D'Addario strings, and one in particular recommended the T2 trebles. These trebles are great, I think. What I mean is they have almost every quality I look for in a good treble, except a little too much in terms of their responsiveness and percussive qualities. I have the Hard tension on my guitar currently w/ Corum basses, but I may try a lower tension next time.

There is this really fantastic flamenco over at another forum by the name of Richard (Ricardo) Marlow, and he recommends the LaBella 820B, which I agree are a great sounding string. They find their way onto my guitar from time to time.

woz

Post by woz » Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:51 am

Thanks the_dude. I actually have a T2 set on my R1 classical at the moment (hard tension) - maybe I should try them on the other sometime. I have Alliance basses on the R1. I think that D'Addario's seem a little thick to me. I know many pros use them, but they have pro guitars! and better finger technique. I will try some Cristals on the f. guitar next time.
I have never tried LaBellas.

Return to “Luthiers”