guitar volume

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
bulletboy

guitar volume

Post by bulletboy » Thu May 31, 2007 2:20 pm

hi guys i bought a liikanen recently, cost me 5000 grand its a spruce top with brazilian rosewood back. its not very loud though do you think the volume will improve over time

Sasquatch51

Re: guitar volume

Post by Sasquatch51 » Thu May 31, 2007 2:53 pm

bulletboy wrote:hi guys i bought a liikanen recently, cost me 5000 grand its a spruce top with brazilian rosewood back. its not very loud though do you think the volume will improve over time
Wow. Five thousand grand is a LOT of money....that's like...5 million bucks. That's more than I make in a year. I think for that kind of money I'd send it back if it wasn't loud enough. :)

pogmoor

Liikanen

Post by pogmoor » Thu May 31, 2007 3:31 pm

Have a look on the Harmony central website http://www.harmony-central.com/. Put 'Liikanen' in the search box and you'll find a very positive review of a 2006 Liikanen there. It also mentions that the customer support is really good.

If you've got a teacher, or another guitarist whose view you respect, get them to play the instrument and see if they agree with you. Have a listen from a distance and compare it to another guitar; some modern guitar bracing systems give a guitar good projection without it necessarily sounding very loud to the player himself. If you remain dissatisfied, get in touch with Liikanen customer support and tell them you're not satisfied with the instrument. With a new instrument, tone will develop over time, but I don't think the volume is likely to improve - and for that money you should be getting the best!
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Lester Backshall (2008), Ramirez (Guitarra del Tiempo 2017),
Yamaha (SLG 130NW silent classical guitar 2014).

Vesuvio

Post by Vesuvio » Thu May 31, 2007 3:43 pm

Hello Sasquatch,

This must the one that comes with a free Scott Tennant to play it for you. :wink:

I'm guessing it might be a €5000 one of these:

http://www.classical-guitars-plus.co.uk ... phen+Yates

and they do seem to be quite good. There are other reviews on the WWW too.

Best wishes, V
"There are only two things worth aiming for, good music and a clean conscience." Paul Hindemith

David LaPlante
Luthier

Post by David LaPlante » Thu May 31, 2007 4:15 pm

In this day and age of necessary sound reinforcement, I am not sure "loudness" needs to be a primary characteristic of a fine guitar.
It is certainly not a quality (or perhaps a quantity) that I want to sacrifice all else for in my guitars. Not that my instruments are quiet by any means, it just seems that twisting the whole thing around for that one characteristic is silly.
Tone is the thing.
I wince a bit when I see a fine instrument advertised as capable of "filling a large concert hall", an opportunity that sadly very few gutarists will ever have in their careers..........

Marcus Dominelli
Luthier

Post by Marcus Dominelli » Thu May 31, 2007 4:27 pm

David, I sure agree with you on this one. The guitar is not what is capable of filling a large hall. The presence of the performer, and his/her abilty to convey a musical idea to a receptive audience is what is important.

Marcus Dominelli

Sasquatch51

Post by Sasquatch51 » Thu May 31, 2007 4:31 pm

Vesuvio wrote:Hello Sasquatch,

This must the one that comes with a free Scott Tennant to play it for you. :wink:

I'm guessing it might be a €5000 one of these:

http://www.classical-guitars-plus.co.uk ... phen+Yates

and they do seem to be quite good. There are other reviews on the WWW too.

Best wishes, V
Hi V!

Yeah, I've seen these before. They do look quite good....I was just teasing bulletboy a little.....
:lol:

Vesuvio

Post by Vesuvio » Thu May 31, 2007 5:09 pm

Sasquatch51 wrote:...I was just teasing bulletboy a little...
You mean it's official? Sasquatch teases? :wink:

I hope you are enjoying your music—good to see you around the forum,

Best wishes, V :)
"There are only two things worth aiming for, good music and a clean conscience." Paul Hindemith

Sasquatch51

Post by Sasquatch51 » Thu May 31, 2007 6:52 pm

Vesuvio wrote:
Sasquatch51 wrote:...I was just teasing bulletboy a little...
You mean it's official? Sasquatch teases? :wink:
Who...ME? Tease? :sigaretta:

bulletboy

Post by bulletboy » Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:28 pm

guys thanks for your response maybe i am putting to much emphasiss on volume but i play in an ensemble where to of them have redgates which seem to be really loud. Its a cedar top so hopefully the sound and the volume will develop in time.oh by the way 5000 grand was a bit of a exageration it only cost a mere 5 grand

dan711

Post by dan711 » Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:08 pm

Didn't you even play it before you bought it??? Or one like it?? If not, you have little right to complain....

bulletboy

Post by bulletboy » Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:05 pm

whoa relax dan, we all have a right to complain the guitar was recomended by a very good teacher who had one himself. its not that the guitar is particulary quiet its more its not as loud as a redgate.

Guitar Slim

Post by Guitar Slim » Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:20 pm

Maybe the members of a big-time ensemble like the LAGQ can afford to buy "matched" guitars expressly to play in their ensemble. But the rest of us often just have to make do.

It sounds like you have a quality instrument appropriate for the stage. It sounds like your ensemble mates also have quality instruments. So you'll just have to make the best of what you have. All ensembles need to work on their dynamic balance, listen closely to each other and compensate for each other. It's what ensemble playing is all about.

Rick714

Post by Rick714 » Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:52 am

Try new strings, and if you don't use hard tension, I'd suggest you try that as well. A switch from normal to hard on one of my guitars greatly increased the volume as well as the quality of the tone.

bulletboy

Post by bulletboy » Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:51 pm

yeah thats good advice, also ill try other hard tensions the one im useing are supposed to be good but there is better string available ill try them, thanks

Return to “Luthiers”