Humidifier?

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
greatwhite

Humidifier?

Post by greatwhite » Sat Jun 09, 2007 11:34 pm

Hi everyone,

I recently purchased a Cordoba CS-Ce (made in Portugal). I currently live in southern California, and with the desert-like climate, I'm wondering if it's worth the cost to invest in a humidifier.

The reason I'm asking is that on the guitar I originally purchased, the necked warped backwards after 3-4 months. I returned it to the manufacturer and they had to remake a new one for me.

Also, the guitar came with a foam(??) padded bag, and I also have a hardcase. Which one should I store it in?

Thank you in advance.

woz

Post by woz » Sun Jun 10, 2007 12:25 am

Someone will answer you about the climate you live in, but I have a Planet Waves humidity control sensor...
http://www.planetwaves.com/pcaredetails.aspx?ID=1

(I hope that links OK)
... which gives me a % reading. I was unsure what to do in the city I live in so decided that this would at least tell me what the humidity IS wherever I am - good for travelling. Then there are a number of products to humidify - the new one out is:
http://www.planetwaves.com/pcaredetails.aspx?id=7

which claims it does it automatically - adding or subtracting "humidity" so to speak in the case.

Peter Oberg
Luthier

Humidity

Post by Peter Oberg » Sun Jun 10, 2007 1:57 am

I don't know how heavily the guitar is built, but I would still recommend getting a humidifier, especially for the Santa Ana conditions. I'm in San Diego, and generally the summers are humid, except for the above mentioned condition which can be as dry as 10% humidity. Lightly built guitars get really sad when the air is this dry.

Keep your guitar in the hard case.

I just read your post again, and I'm not sure if you are referring to a room humidifier, or a case humidifier. A good case one should be adequate. Just be aware of what's going on with the relative humidity, and keep your guitar in its case when you're not playing.

Peter

greatwhite

Post by greatwhite » Sun Jun 10, 2007 2:07 am

sdluthier,
I was referring to a case humidifier. In fact, I saw the exact same ones that woz mentioned in the local Guitar Center. I wanted to ask around first before spending money on something that I might not need.

I think San Diego might be slightly more humid than were I live (the valleys). Last summer we had temperatures up to 110F. >.>

Besides buying the case humidifiers, is there any simple homemade methods of keeping the right amount of humidity?

woz

Post by woz » Sun Jun 10, 2007 4:51 am

Not absolutely sure on this, but you could try some plants in the room. There is water in the soil which evaporates also. Think conservatory/plants/humidity. They do absorb water, but do give it out. Also a water container - bucket or such and keep filled. You may need to heat the room in low temperatures and provide a water source for the humidity to rise.
If you have that humidity sensor you would know exactly what is happening. One in the case is good, but one in the room means you know what is happening there too. If the automatic ones for the case do work, then you do not have to have a sensor in there as such. Put it in the room. This means you do not have to worry about it when practicing (it being humid enough and similar to the case.)

You can look up DAMPIT as well.
http://classicalguitarbuilder.com/march ... etter.html

woz

Post by woz » Sun Jun 10, 2007 5:24 am

greatwhite

Post by greatwhite » Sun Jun 10, 2007 6:23 am

Thank you woz, your links are most helpful!!

woz

Post by woz » Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:33 am

greatwhite - are you still monitoring this thread? Look at:
viewtopic.php?p=176626&highlight=#176626

as there is more to humidifiers just arriving here.

cn90

Spanish, Portuguese vs USA

Post by cn90 » Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:57 pm

Segovia broke his Fleta from the NY winter dryness.
The Ramirez is better built (more robust).

The issue here is:
- Humid vs Dry.

A guitar built in humid climate (Spain, Portuguese) tends to do better in humid climate.

A guitar built in dry climate does better in dry climate.

The book "The Fine Guitar" by Jose Oribe is worth reading.

In L.A., you may try GV Rubio or Jose Oribe as luthiers.

Return to “Luthiers”