Used Ramirez R3 - Need Advice

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
MaximilianRG

Used Ramirez R3 - Need Advice

Post by MaximilianRG » Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:20 am

I went to guitar center looking to buy a new guitar, and I ran into a used Ramirez R3 at guitar center for $999. I was really looking into buying a new Ramirez R2, but they did not have any, so I put the R3 on hold so I can research it. There does not seem to be any serious problems with it. It sounds great, has no buzzing problems. A few, seemingly small, problems I noticed that worried me was in the finish where the fingerboard sits on the soundboard, on the 6th string side only. It seems like the finish is cracked and the wood seems to be popped up a bit. There is no problems where the neck is attached. There is also a super thin border of an unknown white-ish substance (glue or cracked finish?) around the bridge. I was able to get some of it off, but I am wondering if its possible the bridge was re-attached to the soundboard for some reason? My Cordoba 30c has a nearly invisible seam between the bridge and soundboard.

Then I tried out a Cordoba 55R ($929) and, although I have never been a big fan of spruce tops, I really liked the 55R. I did not seem as bright as most spruce tops are. The sound is really good, I think I like the R3 sounds a little better, but the Cordoba 55R seems sturdier for some reason. It was heavier than the R3, and I cant figure out wether the back and sides are solid or not. The website does not specify. It did have some buzzing problems on the 5th string around frets 9, 10, 11. There doesn't seem to be any problem on the neck or frets... the only thing I can see wrong was the strings were in pretty bad shape, beyond needing replacement. The bridge on the 55R did not seem to be attached to the soundboard as well as my 30c.

If anyone has any input that might help me make a decision between the two, thanks in advance. I know it is probably better to buy used directly from the previous owner, but I am only buying a new guitar because I can get it on payments with a satisfaction gaurantee at guitar center.

MaximilianRG

Post by MaximilianRG » Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:59 am

26 views, no responses... :cry:

APribilski

Post by APribilski » Thu Jun 14, 2007 3:11 am

i'm moving this to the luthier's section where there will (hopefully) be more help.

MaximilianRG

Post by MaximilianRG » Thu Jun 14, 2007 3:44 am

Thanks.

Michael.N.

Post by Michael.N. » Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:10 am

If the second guitar, the Cordoba needs new strings it just may change it into that typical Spruce sound that you don't like. I would get them to put new strings on and assess the sound then. Perhaps offer to pay for the new set -you could be left with a guitar that you hate the sound of otherwise.
Without close inspection it's difficult to give an answer on your Ramirez. I don't like the sound of this 'wood popped up a bit'. Do you mean that there is a slight gap between the fingerboard and the top?
The mysterious white substance? Was it sticky? Powdery? It could be the remnants of a cleaning solution to try and spruce up (forgive me) the guitar.

MaximilianRG

Post by MaximilianRG » Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:40 am

Thanks for the response. I just might bring a set of strings from home that I dont intend on using to try on the cordoba. I have also been looking into the 45R that is less expensive and made with a cedar top.

The substance on the Ramirez is powdery, and makes a very thin border around the bridge, about 0.3mm. The problem near the 6th string side, where the fingerboard sits on the soundboard, is like the fingerboard itself is pulling up the soundboard slightly, and the finish is either cracked or otherwise distorted there.

I am leaning towards forgetting the R3, since I am thinking more and more that it is not a good idea to buy a used guitar from anyone but the previous owner.

Also I have been thinking about switching to spruce tops, because lately I have been playing piano more (my main instrument) so I am thinking that a spruce top guitar might help off-set the warmer sound of playing without nails. Not much I think but worth thinking about.

Return to “Luthiers”