Neck Shape

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
mistermark

Neck Shape

Post by mistermark » Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:17 am

What neck shape does everybody prefer and why? I understand they are flat and half round.

charlesivey

Post by charlesivey » Mon Jun 18, 2007 4:44 am

I like an elegant flat backed neck with a slightly wider fret board (54 mm compared to some that are only 52 mm). Someone once told me the thicker, rounded neck backs are called Madrid style necks -- but I don't know if this is an accurate statement or not. After playing 54 mm widths for many years, I think a 52 mm width would not work for me. The same is true for rounded neck backs -- it is too late to teach an old dog new tricks.
CI

"Things should be made as simple as possible, but not any simpler" A. Einstein

Dan Kellaway

Post by Dan Kellaway » Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:10 am

Rounded doesn't have to mean thicker. I like to make a neck which is 21ml at the nut and 23ml at the 10th fret. I then like to make it rounded which means that there are no square edges coming away from the fingerboard. I find that to be invasive on my playing feel.
Imagine holding an eight inch long by two inch wide strip of heavy duty sandpaper by either end over the rough neck and using a seesaw action plus moving evenly up and down the length of the neck at the same time and this will create an even curve that goes right to the edge of the fingerboard with no square or flat areas.
I have a reputation for making killer necks if I say so myself.
I'll post photos of this technique in the next few weeks while shaping the next instruments.

Return to “Luthiers”