bending

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
tatodoc2002

bending

Post by tatodoc2002 » Thu Jun 21, 2007 5:41 pm

Any opinion on using a so-called bending aid with a bending iron. Also, what about side bending machines?

Michael.N.

Post by Michael.N. » Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:49 pm

What is a bending aid?

tatodoc2002

Post by tatodoc2002 » Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:00 pm

Long metal strap held against the wood, supposedly to seal in the water and make bending easier.

David LaPlante
Luthier

Post by David LaPlante » Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:26 pm

If you are bending particularly curly wood, or wood with excessive run-out of the grain, the metal strap will support the outer surface to prevent grain separations. This is especially useful if you are making tight curves as those in a cutaway.
Mostly I don't use this but have on occasion. I do all of my bending over a hot iron pipe and have not used a bending machine.
Seems to me that they limit you in that any shapes that you want to create will need to be fixtured.
I would recommend that you develop your skills in the art of hand bending.

Michael.N.

Post by Michael.N. » Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:52 pm

Ah yes, the bending strap. I have used one but that was on some Maple sides that were very prone to corrugating across the width of the rib. I don't think it helped much. I haven't used one since except for some fiddle ribs that I did, they seem to be used a lot by fiddle makers because of the short grain of Maple - the reason David gave. I've never used a bending strap on Rosewood sides largely because I never felt the need. The only area I spritz with water is the waist section.
I make far too many models to bother with the machines and I actually like bending sides by hand.

tatodoc2002

Post by tatodoc2002 » Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:46 pm

I would think you lose the feel for the wood with a strap, also with a bending jig.

Return to “Luthiers”