how long could it take for my cedar top sound to develop?

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
bulletboy

how long could it take for my cedar top sound to develop?

Post by bulletboy » Sat Jun 23, 2007 7:29 pm

im just wandering as my cedar top guitar is only a few months old how long people thought it might take for the sound to develop if im playing it on average of 2 hours per day.also does the sound continually change or will it just peak and thats it.I wonder though if ill even realise its developed as its such a gradual process, ive been told by people they just picked their guiatar up 1 day and bam the sound had changed is that true ? thanks for any input

Alan Green

Post by Alan Green » Sat Jun 23, 2007 7:47 pm

I'm not sure you'd notice a difference from day to day. The sound produced by a solid top will mature over a number of years and it's not totally related to just how much you play.

Alan

Marcus Dominelli
Luthier

Post by Marcus Dominelli » Sat Jun 23, 2007 8:18 pm

I have noticed that my guitars will open up noticeably after about 1/2 hour of playing.
Did you know that only about 5% of the string's energy is used in creating sound? The rest is released as heat, and the guitar will physically warm up as you play it, although it may be hard to notice.
Put your guitar in a warm room for a few hours and then play it. You'll notice that it sounds more open. Sound differences which occur from day to day are just differences in temperature or perception I am sure.
But I think guitars will improve a lot in the first couple of years if they are played regularly like your cedar top.
Cedar opens up faster than spruce. Spruce can peak after ten, twenty, or more years. But there is no hard and fast rule here. It depends on how the guitar is made and on who plays it.
Marcus Dominelli
Dominelli Guitars

bulletboy

Post by bulletboy » Sun Jun 24, 2007 9:51 pm

guys thanks for the reply, i cant believe i wrote my guitar is cedar top its not its spruce i guess i was just having 1 of those moments anyway it looks a sthough most agree that its a long process probably years

Return to “Luthiers”