Paulino Bernabe Especial!

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
Ro

Paulino Bernabe Especial!

Post by Ro » Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:21 am

Who knows anything about this guitar from Brasilian Rosewood?

Don Quichotte

Post by Don Quichotte » Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:20 am

Ask Section_10 , member of this forum; one of the most knowledgeable persons with respect to the Bernabes models.:wink:
I have experience with a “Concerto” model; Madagascar Rosewood(exceptionally double side made)

nyccg

Post by nyccg » Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:48 pm

I'm also the proud owner of a Bernabe Concierto. Maybe it's a fluke, but it's the richest sounding guitar I've ever played, and there have been lots of them. The Especial is supposed to be one step up, with older wood and more flourishes.

Blue Klein

Post by Blue Klein » Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:52 am

Yes this model made from BRAZILIAN ROSEWOOD. This is US$ 10,000 level guitar. One of best guitar from BERNABE build with 20 years aging wood, incredible sound with well balance and focus. I own one CEDAR and very happy with this guitar.

nyccg

Post by nyccg » Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:57 am

Hi, Blue Klein. Are you referring to the Especial or the Concierto?

Blue Klein

Post by Blue Klein » Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:44 am

Mine is ESPECIAL cedar with DARK Brazialian RW. Back &SIDE. Double side construction.Smooth German tuner, French polsih.

Cincy2

Bernabe

Post by Cincy2 » Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:17 am

Hi Guys,

I did a lot of research on Bernabe before I placed an order for my own "last" guitar ever. So much of guitar selection is personal preference but I don't see how you could go wrong with a luthier of this caliber. His (son and father) reputation makes it almost a sure thing that any guitar will be consistent with his "house" tone and build quality. My new PB Imperial has made it from Spain to the importer in California. He's taking pictures for his website today and will ship the beauty to me sometime this week.

My research shows that the entire line of PB guitars have good projection, sweet Spanish style tone and great playability. The modern guitar was born in Spain. It seems appropriate to own a descendant of that wonderful blood line.

Good luck with your new instrument.

Cincy2

isariya

Post by isariya » Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:27 am

I agree with Cincy2 for personal preference but I DO believe you won't be disappointed with Bernabe.I own one Cedar,very pleased with it..So Ro go for it if you have chance at least you dont get much hurt when selling it.

Cincy2,think my another bernabe(RY)is 1 behind yours,scheduled to deliver in 4 wks..can't wait any more..

BTW,hello blue klein and regards to all for my first post here..

Cincy2

Bernabe

Post by Cincy2 » Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:37 am

Isariya,

Just got the news yesterday. My Imperial is in town. I'll be picking it up tonight. Should be a very busy day! Here are the pictures they sent me from the factory in Madrid. Spruce soundboard, BRW back and sides.

Cincy

nyccg

Post by nyccg » Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:41 am

Gorgeous! Make sure to give us a review, and better yet, a sound sample. Congratulations!

Ro

Post by Ro » Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:56 am

Thaks a lot guys for info you see i live in small town of europe and my bad i need to ask someone who sell guitar's here to bring me guitar from other contries (and here is only 1 person who can do this) so first of all i have verry small knowlege about good international luthiers (i have 8000$) and when i asked about Paulino Bernabe he said that these guitar's are verry dry and have verry small range of collor's (sorry for my english, i hope u understand what i mean) so now i stuck in the middle of nowhere and he says that i should buy Hopf or Contreras but i dont want, i want somthing special for my new instrument (and new period of life) so i saw guys that you know everything about luthiers and guitar's so maybe you could give me advice what i should look and try i understand that this is verry personal view and taste, but as i said before here we dont have much info, thats why only guitar's i saw in my life (from good luthiers) was Dieter Hopf and Manuel Contraras (and if really i dont like them much) so please split yuor info :)

Section_10

Post by Section_10 » Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:53 am

Wooo Bernabes are def. not dry and provide plenty of color. I would certainly buy an Especial over Contreras and Hopf. Paulino Jr. is building amazing instruments and I wouldnt hesitate to buy one. You should be able to find a used one for much cheaper, you'll have to wait though.

nyccg

Post by nyccg » Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:59 am

I totally agree with Section_10. There are other great guitars out there, but Bernabe is certainly a stand-out.

Cincy2

Dry?

Post by Cincy2 » Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:09 am

I spent the better part of last night playing my new Bernabe Imperial. Here are my impressions. The Spruce soundboards on these guitars are thick! They will take time to play in. Mine sounded stiff coming out of the case for the first time but two hours later, it was a different instrument. Someone trying out a new instrument for a few minutes might get a bad impression. Patience is the key. Even with so little time on it, the guitar has sweet trebles, growling basses and sustain to die for. The entire body of the guitar physically moves as it resonates. I'd never felt that in an instrument before. The BW back and sides are drop dead gorgeous. This is very old wood that can't be had anywhere today.

The case delivered with the instrument was very substandard. The dealer warned me about this. I have a customer Karura on the way. Other than the case issue, this instrument is worth ever penny I paid. As that thick top plays in over the next couple of years, I'm confident it's only going to get better. I expect all the work coming from PBJr. is of the same quality. It's my guess he's been the driving force in the business for some time.

nyccg

Post by nyccg » Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:20 am

Okay, Cincy2, the inevitable crass question: How much did you pay for the Imperial? Transparency is good for the market, but I understand if you decline to respond on personal grounds. Again, congratulations!

Return to “Luthiers”