My New Stephen Eden Guitar

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
oski79

Re: My New Stephen Eden Guitar

Post by oski79 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:49 am

A fine looking instrument indeed, and that is an especially beautiful piece of cocobolo used for the back!
“People may say I can’t sing, but no one can ever say I didn’t sing.” --Florence Foster Jenkins

Stephen Eden
Luthier

Post by Stephen Eden » Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:33 pm

Frequency It looks like a couple of streaks in the polish picked up by the camera flash. They aren't really visible without a high flash.

frequency

Post by frequency » Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:33 am

Dear Stephen,

It a very nice guitar.

I love the fingerboard fret dressing, I mean very different!!!, Nice

Frequency

Stephen Eden
Luthier

Post by Stephen Eden » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:08 am

Thanks but i'm not sure what you mean by the fret dressing? I was pretty sure I didn't do anything different from everyone else, Perhaps another camera trick?

Trentino

Post by Trentino » Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:16 pm

Just wondering how you feel about your Stephen Eden guitar some nine years on . Am approaching a similar milestone and am seriously thinking about going down the road you followed .
George Crocket wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:26 pm
My new guitar was a 60th birthday gift from my wonderful wife. She ordered it from Stephen Eden last September and it arrived a few days ago. I've spent much of the time since getting to know it.

It is a spruce topped classical with cocobolo back and sides. The tuners are Alesi. The first thing I noticed about the guitar was its light weight. The woods are beautiful, with nice features, for instance in the headstock, and the attractive modern rosette. It is lightly French polished to a satin sheen, so it looks great.

To play, it is very easy. There is a clarity to the notes with a well-developed ringing sustain. Individual notes in chords are well separated. The tones of the basses seem nicely consistent with the tones of the trebles. The instrument seems well in tune with itself - by that I mean that notes seem to ring clear and true without spurious harmonics, and, although it is still needing frequent re-tuning, the strings seem to be detuning at the same rate. The tuners are easy to adjust.

I was afraid, from what I had read, that the clarity of the guitar would highlight my poor technique by making my mistakes clearer. In fact I seem to be making fewer mistakes! My ligado, barre, etc are clearer and I make fewer slips. My note changes are less noisy, and my position changes sound smoother.

So I'm delighted with my new friend and looking forward to a long and productive relationship with it.

George Crocket

Post by George Crocket » Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:39 pm

I still play this guitar almost every day. It certainly shows some wear, but it still sounds great. It still gets admiring glances. It projects well. I love it.

A couple of years after I got the guitar I (sorry, my wonderful wife) commissioned a cedar/rosewood model from Stephen in celebration of our 40th wedding anniversary. The big advantage is that both guitars are almost identical in size, shape, weight, construction, playability. They look a little different in colour; the cedar top is a bit more delicate, and therefore easily marked; they sound a little different in that the spruce is probably brighter, "sharper", and heavier in the bass. So the cedar is maybe warmer and muddier in tone with a more integrated range of sound. Initially I played the cedar for routine practice while using the spruce for ensemble/orchestra rehearsals, lessons and performances. Latterly my teacher advised me to stick to one, for consistency - I chose the spruce. Now, though, I am playing both again.

I do wish I had a reason for commissioning another guitar, but I really cannot justify it. I am more than happy with what I've got.
George
2010 Stephen Eden spruce/cocobolo classical guitar
2012 Stephen Eden cedar/IRW classical guitar

Trentino

Post by Trentino » Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:54 pm

Thanks George. I've nearly plucked (excuse the pun) up enough courage to follow the direction you have. Waters have been slightly mudded by the availability of Stephen Eden's Cadenza model which is easier on the purse and which is extremely good.
George Crocket wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:39 pm
I still play this guitar almost every day. It certainly shows some wear, but it still sounds great. It still gets admiring glances. It projects well. I love it.

A couple of years after I got the guitar I (sorry, my wonderful wife) commissioned a cedar/rosewood model from Stephen in celebration of our 40th wedding anniversary. The big advantage is that both guitars are almost identical in size, shape, weight, construction, playability. They look a little different in colour; the cedar top is a bit more delicate, and therefore easily marked; they sound a little different in that the spruce is probably brighter, "sharper", and heavier in the bass. So the cedar is maybe warmer and muddier in tone with a more integrated range of sound. Initially I played the cedar for routine practice while using the spruce for ensemble/orchestra rehearsals, lessons and performances. Latterly my teacher advised me to stick to one, for consistency - I chose the spruce. Now, though, I am playing both again.

I do wish I had a reason for commissioning another guitar, but I really cannot justify it. I am more than happy with what I've got.

Guitar-ded

Post by Guitar-ded » Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:13 pm

Trentino wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:54 pm
Thanks George. I've nearly plucked (excuse the pun) up enough courage to follow the direction you have. Waters have been slightly mudded by the availability of Stephen Eden's Cadenza model which is easier on the purse and which is extremely good.
The Cadenza would be good but I think you'll eventually regret not getting the full-fat Eden.
Bite the bullet man, and just do it. Today, before you overthink it. You know you want to. 8)
Getting better bit by bit, day by day.

Trentino

Post by Trentino » Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:23 pm

Guitar-ded wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:13 pm
Trentino wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:54 pm
The Cadenza would be good but I think you'll eventually regret not getting the full-fat Eden.
Bite the bullet man, and just do it. Today, before you overthink it. You know you want to.
Oh I do, I do , I do........ but there's always a but.....

Guitar-ded

Post by Guitar-ded » Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:05 pm

:bye:

The old saying is Carpe Diem, not Carpe Diem... but... :roll:

If you bought one, would it make you unhappy? I didn't say 'poor' I said unhappy.

Seriously though, it kinda depends on where you are with your playing. If it's early days and you're not sure if you'll stick with it, then I'd say do nothing for the moment. A year or two in and you think you'll probs stick with it then maybe look at the Cadenza but... if you've been playing for a decent time (whatever YOU think that is) and you're pretty convinced that CG playing is your thing, then why not get a decent instrument and the Eden would fall nicely into that category. That said, I've no clue what you play now so maybe you already have six. :guitare: :okok: :ouioui:

All I'm saying is have a think and make the decision you'll be happiest with, whatever that turns out to be.
Best of luck with it.

Trentino

Post by Trentino » Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:34 pm

No though I would consider myself only an intermediate player I have been doing it for a considerable time and will be playing until the fat lady stops singing so to speak.
Have you by chance seen Stephen's Friedrich model ? Its beautiful. Great sound.

Guitar-ded

Post by Guitar-ded » Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:59 pm

There was one on the 'for sale' page here at one point which seemed good, someone bought it after a while I think. Other than that I've had no dealings with this model.
The guy in the video gets lost a few times but the guitar does its job.

Amy Gaudia

Post by Amy Gaudia » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:29 pm

Congratulations! Great looks and sound and beautiful performance. Thanks!
1992 Martin 00016
2016 Pono ULN-30 (nylon string Terz guitar)
2019 Marcus Dominelli custom small body
https://youtu.be/8-tXOXd8gco

madrilla

Post by madrilla » Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:38 pm

Guitar-ded wrote:
Bite the bullet man, and just do it. Today, before you overthink it. You know you want to. 8)
What would be the difference sonically between the Cadenza and the regular Eden?

Stephen Eden
Luthier

Post by Stephen Eden » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:29 am

Trentino wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:34 pm
Have you by chance seen Stephen's Friedrich model ? Its beautiful. Great sound.
This is a new model to me. This one was the first and was only finished around this time last year. I have made 4 since with another 3 on the way. There will be a Spruce version available to try at the end of April and perhaps a Cedar model for sale by August. I could P.M you a review of the guitar that Jacob sent me recently if you like?
madrilla wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:38 pm
Guitar-ded wrote:
What would be the difference sonically between the Cadenza and the regular Eden?
Sonically they are pretty much the same thing. They are both based on the same design using the same materials and hand made by myself using no premade parts. The neck shape on 'off the shelf' guitars are slightly different as I prefer a slightly thicker neck to Miles. These can be changed for either guitar though so if ordering it really doesn't make a difference. The price difference reflects just how much time the extra adornments actually cost.

Return to “Luthiers”