Pavan Guitars, imported by Tom Prisloe

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
riverrun

Pavan Guitars, imported by Tom Prisloe

Post by riverrun » Sat Mar 11, 2006 6:52 am

Has anyone had any experience with the Pavan guitars, hand-built in Spain for American luthier Tom Prisloe?

I'm looking for the next step up for my 13-year old, and I'm afraid he's a bit spoiled by my Ramirez, even if he (or one of his delinquent friends) did put a skateboard through the soundboard some years ago. I forgave him because I know a fabulous luthier hereabouts. (Those guys are expensive!)

Thanks,

--rr

mrcold

Post by mrcold » Sat Mar 11, 2006 7:03 am

i have not played one, but i have only heard good from them.. and you get a 7 day trial, so if you dont' like it you can send it back..

Cody

riverrun

Ah! Thanks!

Post by riverrun » Sat Mar 11, 2006 7:10 am

I appreciate the reply. I'm gradually learning to check ALL the forums for my topic. I notice in "Buy, Sell, etc." there's some info too. The thing is people "hear" stuff about these guitars but seldom hear, or see, or smell, the real thing. I like the idea of a "local" maker seeding his client-bed with these relatively inexpensive instruments. And the try-out period and "personal" service certainly make the whole thing even more attractive.

But there must be a special place in perdition for people who buy musical instruments sight-unseen, sound-unheard. In any "batch" you'll find a great one and a rotten one-or-more.

rr

mrcold

Post by mrcold » Sat Mar 11, 2006 7:32 am

true true... I considered getting one of these guitars recently, but evenwith the 7 day trial, something about buying a guitar that i had never even seen over the internet really put me off... but then again, i have never heard a bad review...

Cody

nylonthanh

TP30

Post by nylonthanh » Sat Mar 18, 2006 5:55 pm

I have a TP30 Pavan guitar. I got one back in summer and had to return it because the heel cracked a few months ago. Tom gave me another TP30 and I think it's actually better. The tuners were upgraded and it has nuances. The sound is great but I did notice slight string buzz on the sixth string at the 10th fret. So, it's a good guitar, but not perfect.

riverrun

TP30

Post by riverrun » Sat Mar 18, 2006 7:03 pm

Hmmm... string buzz. I don't think I'd like that in any guitar. Did you discuss that with Tom?

Thanks for the reply. The good news is I'm originally from upstate NY and may work my way back there this summer, take a look in person.

Mark

nylonthanh

Post by nylonthanh » Sat Mar 18, 2006 7:33 pm

actually, I haven't. I discovered this buzz recently (Monday night) when I was practising the barre chords in Villa-Lobos Prelude #1 and I thought I wasn't pressing hard enough, and that's when I discovered it. I'll contact him today. Just a hassle because this is my only guitar at home and I have to ship it back to him but I can't live with a buzz.

riverrun

Road Trip!

Post by riverrun » Sat Mar 18, 2006 7:51 pm

You're only 200 miles away from Tom! Why not go and check out the whole place, maybe have him set it up for you in person or something?

Or *replace* it with another that you *love*?

(I'm jus sayin....)

nylonthanh

Post by nylonthanh » Sat Mar 18, 2006 7:53 pm

He probably will replace it. Strings should not buzz on a fret unless it's a flamenco guitar ;)

etude_

Post by etude_ » Mon Mar 20, 2006 8:08 pm

I'm considering one of these as well (TP-20.) All solid woods, bone nut and saddle for under $1000 - it sounds like a good deal. I'd be currious to know how loud they are. Also, are they heavy compared to others? Finally, how well do the tuners work?

On the buzzing, isn't that just the action? Did you lower it at all?

nylonthanh

Post by nylonthanh » Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:38 pm

the buzzing isn't too noticable, only if I play hard with my thumb. I tried it on my other guitar (cordoba 50R) and same with that and the action is higher on the cordoba. The action is low, but I don't think that's what caused the buzzing. The action is perfect, but I just dont want the buzzing. Like I said, very subdle, but I notice it.

I think the volume is adaquete. It's good, but the sound and feel are great. I have the TP-30, so I never heard the 20. The tuners on my first TP30 were pretty crappy. But on the newer one they were outstanding, so it's worth the extra cash to get the tuners.

jhastings

Post by jhastings » Fri Mar 24, 2006 4:00 pm

I actually live about 60 miles from him, and as I am in the market for a studnt guitar for college, I think I will go check the guitars out. I would be interested in the TP-20. There aren't any good classical guitar stors around here, so hopefully I'll like the TP20.

etude_

Post by etude_ » Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:00 pm

jhastings wrote:I actually live about 60 miles from him, and as I am in the market for a studnt guitar for college, I think I will go check the guitars out. I would be interested in the TP-20. There aren't any good classical guitar stors around here, so hopefully I'll like the TP20.
Please let us know how it goes. I'm considering one of these myself.

dal_1025

Post by dal_1025 » Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:06 pm

Howdy:

I purchased a TP-30 this summer and have been playing it, off-and-on, over the fall and winter. I like it. And, more to the point, I trust Mr. Prisloe.

I would put myself at the beginning-end of intermediate, so take all my comments with a grain a of salt, especially if you are an advanced player. I was looking for a step-up instrument and had been watching the local stores for a bit of time and was frustrated that I couldn't find anything that really provided what I wanted at a price I wanted to pay.

Before ordering this guitar I had played another TP-30 that was purchased by near-by player who's considerably more advanced than I am. After deciding I liked the 30, I had an extended phone conversation with Mr. Prisloe and finally decided to chance a mail-order purchase.

The guitar arrived very promptly in perfect shape and well packaged. I found the workmanship to be surprisingly good. It has a much higher setup than what I have been playing (an old Ramirez student model) and that has taken some time to adjust to. It is far less forgiving than my old/cheaper instruments but for all that agony, it projects far better with a lot of depth in the mid-range. I use soft Augustine "blues" which just sort of "feel" right to me on this particular instrument.

My friend's TP-30 developed a problem as the months wore on and Tom took care of it without issue. Sorry, I don't know if it was repaired or replaced. My own phone conversations with him were friendly and very business like.

Bottom line: He's a good guy to do business with and the guitar is delightful (although a challenge) for my level of play. If you can get your head around the idea of buying an instrument through the mail, this guy is worth a shot. However, if I ever advance beyond this level and want to move up again, I doubt if I would buy something any more expensive without seeing it first.

Hope that helps,
--DAL_1025

Corsair8268

Post by Corsair8268 » Mon Apr 10, 2006 1:34 am

I had an old laminated top guitar that a friend gave me for free. That is what I started learning on. Well the tone was terrible. So I looked for another guitar at the local shops but couldnt find anything that was a good caliber student guitar. I did some research, and found Tom Prisloe. Tom is friendly and honest. We decided on a TP-30. Guitar came well package and comes with a lifetime warranty against defects. I love the sound! When I first got the guitar I took it to my teacher to be sure he thought it was a good deal.
Well he didnt put it down for half my lesson! Then he asked my if I would mind telling him how much I paid for it. I said 1095$ and he said you got a great deal. So to me, until I am ready to buy a concert level instrument this will do me just fine. :o I just hope I am not developing GAS (guitar aquistion syndrome) because now I'm thinking I would like a spuce top variant lol!

Return to “Luthiers”