Dating a Tatay

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
R_Pegio

Re: Dating a Tatay

Post by R_Pegio » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:19 pm

In the early nineties in response to a newspaper ad I went twenty miles to a another town to see a "Vicente Tatay - Valencia" guitar @ £20. It was being sold by a very elderly couple who said it had been bought for their daughter to do a music degree then been in their loft for more than twenty years. I estimated it to be more like a fifties instrument, I daren't tune it - I knew if I tightened any string more than half a turn it would just snap. It seemed well made but so old as to be worthless - but if they made decent guitars upto the seventies I wish now I'd bought it!
It doesn't take any brains to listen to music.

Luciano Pavarotti

Sam Lanham

Post by Sam Lanham » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:23 pm

Thanks to all of you. I'll get a pic as soon as I can. For now here are the physical characteristics: Faceboard--thin grained spruce; sides and back--mahogany, fretboard--ebony; label--68 mm circular diameter, gold on black, outer lettering: GUITARAS ESPANOL/VALENCIA ESPANA, In the center on the sides of a guitar: Est. 1861; 18 full frets, two smaller ones 15.54mm & 14.82mm; decorative band around sound hole--18mm wide, hole diameter--86.8mm; thickness of box--fretboard end--89.66mm, bridge end--95.38mm. I'll gfet pic as soon as I can.
Sam

Sam Lanham

Post by Sam Lanham » Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:57 pm

Thanks, Hans. My camera, my computer, and I are not good friends so it may take a while. Sam

Ramon Amira
Teacher

Post by Ramon Amira » Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:58 am

In the seventies I used to frequent a store in Manhattan called the Spanish Music Center, and the owner, Gabriel Oller, was Vicente Tatay's brother-in-law. He sold Tatay factory guitars there. Tatay was a luthier from Valencia, and my recollection is that they were pretty good as factory guitars go. I think his sons later opened a factory on Long Island in New York. A student of mine who owed me some money for lessons once gave me a Tatay classical as payment, and it was not bad at all. If your guitar was made by Tatay himself, it could be a good one, though not very valuable in any event. I would guess that the chances are it's just a factory guitar. Photos might help.
Classical and Flamenco guitar lessons via Skype worldwide - Classical and Flamenco guitars from Spain

Sam Lanham

Post by Sam Lanham » Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:16 am

Yes. I assume that from the quantities of guitars produded by Tatay's sons and the accessibility of guitars made in more recent years, the odds favor the conclusion that my Tatay is factory-made. Still, I haven't been able to determine that any characteristic of this guitar definitely puts it into the factory-produced group. A photo will help when I can get to it.
Thanks for your help.
Sam

R_Pegio

Post by R_Pegio » Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:54 pm

The one I looked at had a tacky looking soundhole label with a lots of flowers that looked as if a child had drawn them, and a finger board that stretched almost to the centre of the sound-hole and was scalloped at the end. I presume this would make it one the later, cheaper era I suppose.
It doesn't take any brains to listen to music.

Luciano Pavarotti

Sam Lanham

Post by Sam Lanham » Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:32 pm

Thanks, Luciano---Your description makes me feel better about my Tatay. The sound hole label is round, gold-printed on black. The finger board stops at the edge of the sound hole except for a slight extension with two small frets below the two lower strings. One of the two extends very slightly into the sound hole. None of the full frets extend over the sound hole. One thing I failed to mention in previous notes is that on the head, extending from the nut to the tip of the head are two black lines that appear to be inlays. I'm working on a photo. I'll try to get it up early next week. Sam

Sam Lanham

Post by Sam Lanham » Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:29 pm

Thanks, Hans. It's embarassing to be as computer dumb as I am. I went to the site, the instructions are clear, but I guess I don't know what the "post page" is. I have gone to what I thought would be the post page but I don't find the box mentioned in the instructions. I do have three or four pictures I would like to post, but I'm afraid I'm taking too much time and space of you serious and very helpful guitar experts. I'll try to do whatever you tell me but I'm sure my topic is not as important as most or all of the others.

Sam

pogmoor

Post by pogmoor » Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:41 pm

Try this: Click on Post Reply enter any text you want in your post, then click the Upload attachment tab which is below the text area. Next click Choose File; this should give you a dialogue that allows you to navigate to the picture you want to post. Choose the picture, then click Add the file and the file will be added to the post. Repeat the process to add more files. (NB files needs to be in JPG format, should be of a maximum size of 140 KB and should be no larger than 1200 pixels wide and 3000 pixels high - so you may need to reduce them to fit these specifications).
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Lester Backshall (2008), Ramirez (Guitarra del Tiempo 2017),
Yamaha (SLG 130NW silent classical guitar 2014).

Sam Lanham

Post by Sam Lanham » Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:12 am

Thanks, Eric--Your message will do the job, if I can do it from this end. It will be tomorrow morning before I can get to it. But I really appreciate your help.

Sam

Sam Lanham

Post by Sam Lanham » Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:20 pm

OK, friends. Here's a try at a photo. If I'm successfull at this I'll add a couple more.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sam Lanham

Post by Sam Lanham » Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:34 pm

Trying again. Had trouble with my second pic.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sam Lanham

Post by Sam Lanham » Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:41 pm

Well, friends, there are a couple of photos of the Tatay, thanks to the help I have gotten from you folks. Do these suggest any solutions to the dating puzzle? I have two others--one just a shot of the back of the box and one showing the attachment of the fretboard to the end of the box. If either or both of them would be of any help, let me know and I'll try to post them.

Is there a term used for the stain or wear done by the right hand below and just toward the bridge end of the sound hole? That has been on the guitar since I acquired it in 1964.

Thanks,

Sam

Sam Lanham

Post by Sam Lanham » Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:35 pm

I seem to have lost contact with you helpful folks. It may be that the two photos I posted are not sufficient for dating or identifying the origin of the Tatay. If you have suggestions for other photo content please let me know. In any event, thanks again for all the information you have given me. If you have any other suggestions please let me know.

Sam

Mercurio2688

Post by Mercurio2688 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:02 pm

I saw that bridge in Tatay guitars from the 60's and 70's
-Daniel Bernaert 2011 after Torres 1864 "La Suprema". Spruce/Mapple
-Juan Montes 2010. Cedar/Madagascar Rosewood
-Hijos de González ca.1890 Spruce/Walnut ( Sons of Francisco González, Madrid) [SOLD]
-Ramirez 1965 Spruce/Indian Rosewood [SOLD]

Return to “Luthiers”